Tried everything in my mech and ramps up to slow

Discussion in 'Unregulated (Mechanical) Mods' started by Ephraim, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Ephraim

Ephraim Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I have a huge collection of wire. All n80 I hate kanthal. But everything I put in ramps up slow no matter how low I ohm. Currently I use 6 wraps of n80 and it ramps up as quick as my Drag 2 with more vapor. Shud I stick to this build cause I know it works or is there a secret wire people r using I dont know about. Any clapton I used ramps up to slow. Im using the 21700 Kennedy Vindicator with a constant contact switch and the Kennedy RDA. The flavor and vapor for the 6 wraps of n80 works great. Is that the best Im going to get from a mod.

2. BoomStick

BoomStick Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Worthless without pics. Show your build and tell us the resistance.

r055co likes this.
  3. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    What battery do you use?
    And is all the threads and switch parts squeaky clean?
    any mech will perform poorly if not properly maintained.

MyMagicMist likes this.
  4. Ephraim

Blog Posts:

5. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    Right now I just have 6 wraps of 22 gauge n80 ohming at .14. I took all the other builds out cause they ramped up to slow.

6. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    My mech is bran new so threads r perfect. Its a constant contact switch with no arching. The batteries r Samsung 30Ts true 35 amp 3000 mah batteries. Mooch said they r the best for mechs.

7. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Want faster ramp up? get a regulated mod.
    Many of them have a setting for fast ramp up.

Only switch with NO arcing is a Mosfet type.
    All mechanical switches will have some arcing.
    A matter of physics.

8. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    I have the Drag 2 platinum but I gave it to my wife. I love my mech. With this build it ramps up just as fast. I was just wondering what other people use.

9. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    The constant contact has minimal arching. Nothing like a default switch. I have deoxit contact cleaner to clean it and brasso to clean the threads.

The Cromwell likes this.
  10. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    The regular round wire builds ramp up faster than the higher mass fused claptons and such. Less mass means faster heating/rampup.

For my mechs I use 26 ga SS316L, 3mm id at around .3. I do not like a hot vape just warm.
    If using a single coil atty consider a parallel coil of 26-24 ga. 2 wires wrapped in parallel to appear as one coil.

11. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you are on top of the maintenance.
    A clean mech is a happy mech :)

12. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I think Ive got the best Im going to get with ramp up time. 22 gauge is thick and puts out good vapor. It ohms at .14 so Im getting plenty of power. I havnt found a build that works better. Dont fix whats not broken I guess. 22 gauge puts out more vapor then parallels.

13. MrMeowgi

MrMeowgi The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    It shouldn't be too slow. But 22 guage is pretty thick. You should try a thinner wire. With less mass. N80 is fine. What size fused Claptons are you using? If its a 22g core then that's probably the issue

Letitia9 and gsmit1 like this.
  14. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    The 22 gauge n80 ramps up immediately. No problems at all. Plenty flavor and vapor. The claptons Ive tried r all kinds but no 22 gauge. It just seems like no claptons I use heats up.

15. MrMeowgi

MrMeowgi The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    What size are the Claptons and what ohm does the build come out to. About to go back to work from break but will be back at 1130

16. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    Ive used all kinds. 30×4/40 n90 to 28×2/38. No matter what I use the ramp up just isnt there. I try to keep a .14 ohm for power. I like a powerful vape with big clouds. The 22 gauge 6 wrap of n80 seems to give that to me.

17. MrMeowgi

Blog Posts:
    That's weird because my main coils are 2x28/36 and ramps up fine. You sure something isn't wrong with the mod? Maybe the constant contact is broke. Hell I don't know man. I'm all out of solutions

18. Ephraim

Blog Posts:
    How many wraps and is it n80. What do u ohm at? Ill try the same amount of wraps u use.

19. MrMeowgi

Blog Posts:
    Dual coil 6 wrap 3mm inside diameter. Ohms out at. 25.. A 5 wrap will come to. 21 or so.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. xXxelis_prxXx

xXxelis_prxXx Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Kinda wired I have 3 27/ 37 aliens NI80 in my 2 18650 mech and they are some angry coils using Samsung 20s

Mykreign and MrMeowgi like this.
  21. nadalama

nadalama VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I'm like a broken record with this, but please, try a single staged heating coil. Use some of that 28x2/38 with a strand of 24awg n80, wrap the two strands in parallel, about 5 wraps will put you somewhere around 0.2-0.3 ohms. Lower ohms, better flavor, a little more heat, and fast ramp-up time. Coil will last a long time, too.

Wb80 and Letitia9 like this.
  22. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I always preferred Stainless steel, lower ohms for the same/less mass. When I vaped higher wattage I preferred 2X26/36 or 38 wrapped 3mm Id fused claptons 5 wraps dual coil at around.13

23. Syythe

Syythe Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with @The Cromwell. A lower guage parallel build will keep your ohms low but should give better response. It could also give a bit more surface area to help increase flavor without adding more mass than you already have. With mechs, lower gauge wires typically yields lower performance since it takes more energy to heat them up.

I use 28x3/40 and 26x3/40 fused claptons on my mechs and ramp up is absolutely no issue for me. But I use the one coil per battery rule so my exact builds probably would not be of much use to you.

DogMan and The Cromwell like this.
  24. BoomStick

BoomStick Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Get some demon killer v2 alien coils off amazon. 5 sets for under $10. They come in a little blue tin. I take one wrap out and use them in my Kennedy 25 on top of a vindicator. Works very well. Just use a 30t.

25. pulsevape

pulsevape Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    I'm tired of polishing contacts fuck em.

MyMagicMist likes this.
  26. Train

Train Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    With a mech, anything outside "simple wire" (claptons, etc) and your are going to have a trade-off regarding ramp time between mass and resistance.
    I lean towards all simple wire builds, ni80 or SS, depending on the resistance I'm trying to hit...I don't like it too low, and often end up around 0.4.
    But yeah - you may find with a single battery mech that a simple build gets you the instant response you and I both want, better than almost anything with more wire involved.

27. Mykreign

Mykreign Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Similar here.

I use N80 0.12 ohm, 3x26/36 3mm 6 wrap aliens with a samsung 20s and vapor erupts from the rda as soon as you press the button.

It's all about wire mass and ohms. Id say for exotic coils, you may need to stay under 0.2 ohms to get your desired vape. Just make sure your battery can handle it.

The Cromwell and nadalama like this.
  28. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
  29. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    Actually I've been using 27g/36g 5 wraps 2.5mm ID Ni80 aliens (dual coil build at .11 ohms) on a tube mech just about each and every single day for the past 2 years.

30. Wb80

Wb80 VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. My 2 28 36 ramps up great.

31. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I agree with this, except I still find it helps using a wee bit of anti-oxidant grease on the fire screw, strap. I think @The Cromwell no longer uses that preferring instead what I consider a "puritanical" clean. I have tried that as well but found a bit more "play" in using the grease.

32. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    Puritanical clean or just thoroughly clean, doesn't really matter to me as long as there's no grease because if talking about mechs greasy means the exact opposite of clean... as electrical grease/lube breaks down due to micro-arcing (not to be confused with arcing) inside the narrow gaps between the screw threads, the broken-down grease/lube starts to speed up corrosion, which is always a bad thing when talking about the screw threads on a mech. Use only the type of contact cleaner that completely evaporates so that it leaves no residue... typically just a mix of isopropyl alcohol and a propellant (propene) so basically if the description uses the word "protective" or "layer", then keep the stuff at least two miles distance away from your screw threads and contacts, I promise you'll be totally fine.

33. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee Mod Team Leader

Blog Posts:
    316L Stainless Steel ramps up pretty fast.

34. R.Savage

R.Savage Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    2.5 mm ID 6 to 7 wraps, dual coil nichrome 80 quad 28g twisted. She ramps up quick in my mechs.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk