Become a Patron!

To DNA or not to DNA, that is the question....

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What exactly sets the DNA chip apart from other MODs? They appear to be costly so I am wondering what warrants that cost. I do not know much about MODs yet, still learning.

Thanks in advance for replies!

#TeamJimi
Sent from a pay phone

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reasons to DNA
TC MODE
YOU AINT BROKE
LOOKS NICE
ACCURATE READING
CUSTOMIZATION
SOFTWARE SUPPORT
FULLY UPGRADABLE

NOT TO DNA
YOU ARE BROKE
YOU DONT DO TC MODE
YOU ARE NOT PC SAVVY
YOU JUST NEED SOMETHING THAT VAPES
Most mods now a days can do TC mode as well but it's crap!!
YOU are a NEWBIE
IMO

VAPE IT

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes I am a newbie AND a blonde lolol

#TeamJimi
Sent from a pay phone

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The DNA200 based mods allow you to custom tailor your vape, create profiles for various wire/coil combinations, and get into some really techie stuff if you want with the software. Is it good for a noobie? Depends on how the noobie wants to vape and the desire to custom tailor both wattage and temp control settings.

Otherwise, a Relueaux 200 watt mod is better if you don't want the custom configuration abilities.

I rebuild my tanks and drippers and love my DNA200's.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll add another thing that makes the DNA200 better - customer support from Evolv. They stand behind the chip for a full year. If you have a problem they actually answer their messages and take care of you - What a concept.

Cheers,
Steve

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy DNA200's because I like to be able to customize my mod and I get updates without any hassles. The Escribe software takes a little getting accustomed to but it's only as difficult as you need it to be. My wife and son both vape on non-DNA mods and have not interest in the techie end of vaping. They are happy with just adjusting the power and vaping. I like more control than that.

StereoFreeze

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great chip and as mentioned above, can be customized and tweaked. If you are interested in temp control the DNA 200 is the way to go. Many of the DNA 200 devices have built in batteries, if you prefer to use 18650's that will limit the device selection. I believe the DNA 200 boxes that use 18650 batteries are typically sold/rated as 133 watt boxes.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Great chip and as mentioned above, can be customized and tweaked. If you are interested in temp control the DNA 200 is the way to go. Many of the DNA 200 devices have built in batteries, if you prefer to use 18650's that will limit the device selection. I believe the DNA 200 boxes that use 18650 batteries are typically sold/rated as 133 watt boxes.
There's currently one box mod rated for 200W, utilizing three 18650 batteries, the Reuleaux DNA200. However, a mod with a LiPo pack can be charged quicker.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's currently one box mod rated for 200W, utilizing three 18650 batteries, the Reuleaux DNA200. However, a mod with a LiPo pack can be charged quicker.
Actually there are more than one DNA200 box that uses three 18650. And no, a lipo cannot be charged quicker. You are pretty much stuck with 1A or 2A changing. While 18650s can be charged at far faster rate. Charging with the DNA200 1A charging is using 5v @ 1A. That 1A is what it is drawing off of the USB. So what is the three cells getting? The cells are getting only about 300ma each from that 1A. That isn't a lot. Charging those three 18650s in a 2A external charger is charging them about 6 times faster than the DNA200 charger can do.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Actually there are more than one DNA200 box that uses three 18650. And no, a lipo cannot be charged quicker. You are pretty much stuck with 1A or 2A changing. While 18650s can be charged at far faster rate. Charging with the DNA200 1A charging is using 5v @ 1A. That 1A is what it is drawing off of the USB. So what is the three cells getting? The cells are getting only about 300ma each from that 1A. That isn't a lot. Charging those three 18650s in a 2A external charger is charging them about 6 times faster than the DNA200 charger can do.

I charge my lipo's (1300mAH) with the DNA chip in half the time my nitrcore charges my 18650's Fact!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Charging a 18650 at a 2A rate, shortens their life time, and still takes longer.
I charge my lipo's (1300mAH) with the DNA chip in half the time my nitrcore charges my 18650's Fact!
Even when charging 18650 on an external charger at 1A it takes longer, than charging a LiPo. Charging a 1300 mAh LiPo on an external balance charger takes ca. 30 Minutes at a 1C charge rate (1.3A), and it could be safely charged at a 2C, even 3C rate in half or less the time. That (2C) is how I charge all my LiPo packs for my R/C CP Helicopters, and my 1300 mAh LiPo of my Whiteout DNA200.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is also a fact that a 3S 1300mah lipo is the same as three 18350 1300mah batteries (same 14.43Wh). So it is half the Wh of your three 18650 28Wh. That is why it seems to take longer with the three 18650. But you will be charging your 3S 1300mah twice as often as you are charging the three 18650. And that 1A charger is the same as charging three 18350 at 300ma each. Charge three 18650 at 600ma and it comes out to the same charging time as the lipo. But you can run twice as long.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you're into crazy builds, TC, and tinkering with escribe to perfect your vape then get the DNA. If you just Vape pre built coils, or kanthal, and just like to Vape and go then get a non DNA regulated mod. I'm not saying the they don't do TC well but the whole reason to get a DNA would be TC. It's the best TC chip on the market right now. IMHO.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Charging a 18650 at a 2A rate, shortens their life time, and still takes longer.

Whether 2A shortens their life is debatable. It isn't the current that shortens their life, it is the heat. And most of my batteries don't even get warm at 2A. And I have been vaping since November of 2014 and I never had to replace a battery yet. And I also log their capacity too, so it isn't like I am still using cells that only last 5 minutes or something. They still have 80% of their rated capacity.

Even when charging 18650 on an external charger at 1A it takes longer, than charging a LiPo. Charging a 1300 mAh LiPo on an external balance charger takes ca. 30 Minutes at a 1C charge rate (1.3A), and it could be safely charged at a 2C, even 3C rate in half or less the time. That (2C) is how I charge all my LiPo packs for my R/C CP Helicopters, and my 1300 mAh LiPo of my Whiteout DNA200.

When your RC charger is charging a 3S lipo at 1A, it is really charging the cells at 1A. Although using 5v @ 1A, is misleading as 5V can't charge a 11.1v 3S lipo. You need at least 12.6v to charge a 3S lipo. So it takes 5v boosts it up to at least 12.6v. Okay now the voltage is usable. But what happened to the current? Oh we lost about 700ma of it through the voltage boost.

Did you ever time and check voltage and current when charging 1C, 2C, 3C, etc. You would think that 2C is twice as fast as 1C. And 3C is three times as fast as 1C. Well guess what? It doesn't work that way. Here is what happens that ruins it. Decent lipos doesn't throw max current on the battery right away. Why? This shortens their life. So they just slowly turn up the current and it could take 5 to 10 minutes to get up to speed. Now when the cell gets about 85% full, it starts turning the current down again. That last 15% or so can take forever at those lower currents. I seen this last 15% take an hour or more to complete. But you don't have to wait this part out. You can pull the cell and use it like that if you don't want to wait.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Whether 2A shortens their life is debatable. It isn't the current that shortens their life, it is the heat. And most of my batteries don't even get warm at 2A. And I have been vaping since November of 2014 and I never had to replace a battery yet. And I also log their capacity too, so it isn't like I am still using cells that only last 5 minutes or something. They still have 80% of their rated capacity.

When your RC charger is charging a 3S lipo at 1A, it is really charging the cells at 1A. Although using 5v @ 1A, is misleading as 5V can't charge a 11.1v 3S lipo. You need at least 12.6v to charge a 3S lipo. So it takes 5v boosts it up to at least 12.6v. Okay now the voltage is usable. But what happened to the current? Oh we lost about 700ma of it through the voltage boost.

Did you ever time and check voltage and current when charging 1C, 2C, 3C, etc. You would think that 2C is twice as fast as 1C. And 3C is three times as fast as 1C. Well guess what? It doesn't work that way. Here is what happens that ruins it. Decent lipos doesn't throw max current on the battery right away. Why? This shortens their life. So they just slowly turn up the current and it could take 5 to 10 minutes to get up to speed. Now when the cell gets about 85% full, it starts turning the current down again. That last 15% or so can take forever at those lower currents. I seen this last 15% take an hour or more to complete. But you don't have to wait this part out. You can pull the cell and use it like that if you don't want to wait.
I think my balance charger and power supply can handle that. http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
What exactly sets the DNA chip apart from other MODs? They appear to be costly so I am wondering what warrants that cost. I do not know much about MODs yet, still learning.

Thanks in advance for replies!

#TeamJimi
Sent from a pay phone
There are many reasons already listed in this thread about what sets a DNA apart from other mods. I'm actually going to touch on your last sentence.

If you are still learning, and don't know much about mods, then you may not be at a point where you are ready to dive into a DNA. There are a TON of other mods out there with GREAT chips in them, and they are a lot more "new vaper" friendly. I can say that mods with the Wismec/Joyetech chipset, or Yihi SX-340/350J chipset are really popular and come in both single/dual batteries and anywhere from 75-200 watts. For a new vaper, these will perform just as well right out of the box, no pre-programming by computer first.

I can personally attest to the Wismec/Joyetech chipset, it's fantastic and performs beautifully, in my usage, just as good as my DNA mod, at a fraction of the cost.

I would recommend staying away from the Kanger and Smok chipsets, in my experience, they don't tend to perform or hold up as well as the others.

If you are looking for a new mod, decide what feature(s) are important to you, then try and figure out what mod you want.

HTH!

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
It is also a fact that a 3S 1300mah lipo is the same as three 18350 1300mah batteries (same 14.43Wh). So it is half the Wh of your three 18650 28Wh. That is why it seems to take longer with the three 18650. But you will be charging your 3S 1300mah twice as often as you are charging the three 18650. And that 1A charger is the same as charging three 18350 at 300ma each. Charge three 18650 at 600ma and it comes out to the same charging time as the lipo. But you can run twice as long.

I can tell you DONT! have a LIPO Battery powered DNA200, cause if you did you would know better.
So my question is why make posts just to argue a point, When you Don't know what your talking about?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Another thought.

A bit less than a year ago I decided to buy a box reg mod.

I was overwhelmed by all the choices. How much wattage, DNA or YIHI. Made my head spin.

DNA devices I liked were up in the 300 and up price range.
YIHI devices were MUCH less.

So I looked at "MY style" wattage was not that important, Im not a high performance vaper.
Looks , very important... I like simple, hate menus so simple again.

WHat finally made me decide on what I have now is the reverse battery protection. I know "ME" I know that I am an idiot sometimes ( shaddup)

I destroyed my first Kick by evolv because I put the battery in backwards. 45 bucks in the trash.

DNA mod , can I live with 300 bucks or a nice paper weight? If I goof up?

Got a Mark Bugs Wizard Evolved, beautiful but it made me nervous. Besides the fact that it had such a delicate finish, I just KNEW Id kill it by sticking the battery on wrong, sold it lost money, but I always do.

I ended up with beautiful Kainos by MMV. Its a YiHi chipset, 60 watts, ( its rarely over 11 watts ) Simple looking, simple menu, low key. Most importantly, it has battery protection. It suits my needs. Beautiful, reliable, no glitches. I have no need for TC, and only use SS wire.

I cant see spending so much money on gear that will eventually be obsolete, break down, etc. I found out that if my board dies, I can have it rewired to be a semi mech, which is cool, for me regulated makes no significant difference in my enjoyment.

Just some thoughts from a whimpy vaper that just wants to vape.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thought.

A bit less than a year ago I decided to buy a box reg mod.

I was overwhelmed by all the choices. How much wattage, DNA or YIHI. Made my head spin.

DNA devices I liked were up in the 300 and up price range.
YIHI devices were MUCH less.

So I looked at "MY style" wattage was not that important, Im not a high performance vaper.
Looks , very important... I like simple, hate menus so simple again.

WHat finally made me decide on what I have now is the reverse battery protection. I know "ME" I know that I am an idiot sometimes ( shaddup)

I destroyed my first Kick by evolv because I put the battery in backwards. 45 bucks in the trash.

DNA mod , can I live with 300 bucks or a nice paper weight? If I goof up?

Got a Mark Bugs Wizard Evolved, beautiful but it made me nervous. Besides the fact that it had such a delicate finish, I just KNEW Id kill it by sticking the battery on wrong, sold it lost money, but I always do.

I ended up with beautiful Kainos by MMV. Its a YiHi chipset, 60 watts, ( its rarely over 11 watts ) Simple looking, simple menu, low key. Most importantly, it has battery protection. It suits my needs. Beautiful, reliable, no glitches. I have no need for TC, and only use SS wire.

I cant see spending so much money on gear that will eventually be obsolete, break down, etc. I found out that if my board dies, I can have it rewired to be a semi mech, which is cool, for me regulated makes no significant difference in my enjoyment.

Just some thoughts from a whimpy vaper that just wants to vape.
WOW, I have 5 DNA200 mods and the most I paid for anyone of them was around $135 shipped (Lavabox's when Volcano runs 20% off sales). My VT200 cost less than $120, Reuleaux DNA200 was $113, and Hotcig DX200 was $107 (all included shipping). There are good deals to be found if you are patient. For example Eciggity just ran a 30% off everything sale where you could get a Reuleaux DNA200 for about $100 shipped (that's just one example).

Cheers,
Steve

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
WOW, I have 5 DNA200 mods and the most I paid for anyone of them was around $135 shipped (Lavabox's when Volcano runs 20% off sales). My VT200 cost less than $120, Reuleaux DNA200 was $113, and Hotcig DX200 was $107 (all included shipping). There are good deals to be found if you are patient. For example Eciggity just ran a 30% off everything sale where you could get a Reuleaux DNA200 for about $100 shipped (that's just one example).

Cheers,
Steve

LOL, my mod is on the obsolete list now a days. A year ago, the prices were much higher and not a lot to choose from like today.

I paid 200 for the one I got. It was a pricey mahogany one but I had sold a few photos and bought that Mark Bugs Wizard Evolv and sold it and used that money for the Kainos. Every once in a while I think about letting it go, but I know Id loose most of that. Today a Yihi 60 watt would not be a very desirable item. It does not have TC, or all the bells and whistles. Id be lucky to get a 3rd of what I paid for it. BUt again, when I buy something its not for any other reason but " I " like it. I dont have vape buddies so who am I going to impress?

It is nice and at least if it dies, it would be a nice paper weight or I can have it rewired with one of those simple Mosfett types.

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Puzzled by lipo charges faster argument. Don't matter because I'm charging my 18650 s while I'm vaping on another set so what's the point.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a VT200. It's a nice mod but I haven't really touched it since I got my Reuleaux DNA. Battery life on it is just terrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Setup your batteries bro?

I did but I'm a chain vaper. I'm always on the go and Vt just doesn't do it for me as far as an all day mod goes. I use it once in awhile at home but that's about it. It's a nice mod but I'll take external batteries anyday over lipo's.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VaporCarp stop hoarding different batteries!!
Shut up already with that shit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VaporCarp stop hoarding different batteries!!
Shut up already with that shit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b920dc10f30029c454d47a7e418d59cf.jpg

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Ahhh...If charging though the DNA USB port, you're right, one or two amp charging(I only know of one mod to do 2 amp). However, remove the LIPO, and charge externally, and you don't have a one or two amp limit.... Quite a few DNA200 devices have removable LIPO batteries.

hotcig2.jpg

Like this one.....

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahhh...If charging though the DNA USB port, you're right, one or two amp charging(I only know of one mod to do 2 amp). However, remove the LIPO, and charge externally, and you don't have a one or two amp limit.... Quite a few DNA200 devices have removable LIPO batteries.

View attachment 48625

Like this one.....
Fifty bucks plus to replace the battery? No thanks.

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fifty bucks plus to replace the battery? No thanks.
Well, fasttech has them, you use the code "MAP" for a 27.5% discount, so $36.78, which included priority air shipping for batteries. So, 36.78 for the battery in the housing shipped isn't bad, as a good 1300mAh battery by itself will cost $20-$30. They still have them and the code works...They only have white 18650 packs though, out of black and red..... but again, 27.5% discount $23.74 for the 18650 pack shipped.

upload_2016-5-20_3-58-11.png

You could get the DX200 for about 83.00 shipped from ecig, and for another 23.78 get the 18650 option... Best of both worlds.... with the 900mAh it's pretty small...

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-20_3-54-32.png
    upload_2016-5-20_3-54-32.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 11

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could get the DX200 for about 83.00 shipped from ecig, and for another 23.78 get the 18650 option... Best of both worlds.... with the 900mAh it's pretty small...
Thanks! But I will stick with my two Reuleaux DNA200s and three HCigar VT133s.

VU Sponsors