Become a Patron!

To Date which US Presidential candidate will you be voting for & why?

Which US Presidential candidate will you be voting for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From the article:
"The Fourth Amendment protects citizens against unreasonable searches and seizures. It’s why police must have a warrant or other legal adjudication to enter a residence." Search and seizure not same as inspection"
and
"But in Santa Barbara, the city law “requires home sellers to apply for a zoning inspection report and pay a $475 fee for the inspection process within five days of a sale agreement.”

“The inspections are open-ended, covering a variety of city codes – even though the Zoning Department staffers who conduct them aren’t licensed as building inspectors or surveyors,” the legal team argued."
...covering a variety of city codes...
Note where it says "even though the Zoning Department staffers who conduct them aren’t licensed as building inspectors or surveyors,” the legal team argued."
Total bullshit. An employee of a municipality's building and zoning department does not need to be individually licensed.
He or she has the training given him by the department and it's cumulative experience. A private home inspector
on the other hand needs to be licensed in order to prove that he/she has the appropriate training.

This case is a matter of ignorant lawyers trying to squeeze the municipal teat
and some sonofabitch property owner trying to unload a defective property on an unsuspecting buyer and getting
his sale interfered with by the municipal building and zoning inspectors.

(note: I won't argue that some building and zoning inspectors don't know jack or accept bribes
as I've experienced both situations)

Zoning inspections are being added to the C/O requirement and will often point out when a property s non conforming to existing codes and levy fines or require lengthy variance processes in order to be to be permitted on properties that were pre existing or already obtained by the seller. It is a revenue grab by the municipalities against new property owners the Real Estate Agents are balking against as they are forcing new owners to reapply for variances the previous owners had as they are now the new owners.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems these "inspections" have a fee attached to them...I think it is more likely a way for the city to gouge the populace for revenue than anything else...nickel and dime the blood out of the taxpayers....after all the money to put Lupe and Pedro through college has to come from somewhere.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moreover, if you've ever sold a house to a buyer who uses an FHA loan to buy the property
you know that FHA requires an inspection of the property before they give the buyer a mortgage,

But the seller in not required to accept the inspection or even if the seller does accept the inspection he/she does not have to fix anything required by the buyer. And the inspection is not restricted to code violations, it will include anything that may harm the value of the house over time as the bank does not want to be stuck owning a house the buyer walked out on because it's falling apart. The seller can simply sell to someone else, without inspection.

That's not the same as a government entity requiring a search(inspection) for code violations.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But the seller in not required to accept the inspection or even if the seller does accept the inspection he/she does not have to fix anything required by the buyer. And the inspection is not restricted to code violations, it will include anything that may harm the value of the house over time as the bank does not want to be stuck owning a house the buyer walked out on because it's falling apart. The seller can simply sell to someone else, without inspection.

That's not the same as a government entity requiring a search(inspection) for code violations.
for those of you not living in California...cities like SF probablly have the most oppressive building codes in America.and they get more over reaching yearly..absolutely nothing would surprise me of what a california building department would require.,,,in fact alot of very experinced local contractors refuse to work in SF at all because of their moutain of building codes.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
for those of you not living in California...cities like SF probablly have the most oppressive building codes in America.and they get more over reaching yearly..absolutely nothing would surprise me of what a california building department would require.,,,in fact alot of very experinced local contractors refuse to work in SF at all because of their moutain of building codes.

I'll edit my post

A good reason to not live in Florida or California. No such requirement here. ;)

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In Jersey, the C/O & Zoning search is also Required at sale. The Zoning search is to ensure previous owners had not modified property without permit prior to sale and all fees due are paid by seller.

When you apply for a building permit, inspection occurs and you need to reapply for all existing variances previously obtained by previous owner as well as any new ones required by the new construction.

California Municipality is just moving up that requirement to the closing so...Just moving up that requirement as a mandatory fee on all owners instead of just those seeking construction permits.

In Jersey if someone owns two adjacent properties, they are merged on the Tax maps (without reducing the tax rates accordingly (which you need to apply for in advance) and variances must be attained to separate them again prior to selling one of them.

Guessing Time will add New Jersey to the list.

Last edited:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Zoning inspections are being added to the C/O requirement and will often point out when a property s non conforming to existing codes and levy fines or require lengthy variance processes in order to be to be permitted on properties that were pre existing or already obtained by the seller. It is a revenue grab by the municipalities against new property owners the Real Estate Agents are balking against as they are forcing new owners to reapply for variances the previous owners had as they are now the new owners.
If indeed a variance was granted it is part of the record..Even a voided violation (like when the imbecile inspector issued a fine for a ham radio
tower w/o a permit for which being a licensed ham operator I do not need or when Animal Control issued 2000 bogus violations
'cause somebody pressed the wrong key) stays on the record for ever.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If indeed a variance was granted it is part of the record..Even a voided violation (like when the imbecile inspector issued a fine for a ham radio
tower w/o a permit for which being a licensed ham operator I do not need or when Animal Control issued 2000 bogus violations
'cause somebody pressed the wrong key) stays on the record for ever.
Each successive owner must apply for and seek said variance in their name. Found this out when I applied for a construction permit on a 4 unit apartment house when I had to pay for setback variances on the property even though the specific construction job was well within setback limits.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In Jersey, the C/O & Zoning search is also Required at sale. The Zoning search is to ensure previous owners had not modified property without permit prior to sale and all fees due are paid by seller.

When you apply for a building permit, inspection occurs and you need to reapply for all existing variances previously obtained by previous owner as well as any new ones required by the new construction.

California Municipality is just moving up that requirement to the closing so...Just moving up that requirement as a mandatory fee on all owners instead of just those seeking construction permits.

In Jersey if someone owns two adjacent properties, they are merged on the Tax maps (without reducing the tax rates accordingly (which you need to apply for in advance) and variances must be attained to separate them again prior to selling one of them.

Guessing Time will add New Jersey to the list.
exactlly the city does this under the idea that the modification was built up to the standards of the cities building codes, but also because when you do make a modiification on your property the city collects a % of the construction costs in permit fees....if you made those modifications without city approval they are pissed because you didn't pay the permit fees, and they make you pay back through the nose....

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you apply for a building permit, inspection occurs and you need to reapply for all existing variances previously obtained by previous owner
I suspect a bit of double jeopardy in Jersey then.
One need apply for a variance only once. After it is granted it becomes part of the record.
If the new construction requires another different variance then that is apart from whatever variance has already been issued.
If New Jersey requires a variance that has been approved to be resubmitted for approval for a new construction permit
then you need a lawyer 'cause that isn't how it's done.

If that is indeed what is happening in California then...but it seems a little too fishy even for a government entity to try.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Each successive owner must apply for and seek said variance in their name. Found this out when I applied for a construction permit on a 4 unit apartment house when I had to pay for setback variances on the property even though the specific construction job was well within setback limits.
You should have hired a lawyer.
A variance is issued for the property not for the owner.
Moreover if the property is within setback then you need no setback variance..

A change of owners does not change the property. The house next door's new owner
had to get a variance for their porch which was built sans permit.
But the new owner did not need a variance for the back Florida room for which a permit and variance were applied and granted
even though he had to get a permit to add a bath to the Florida room.

Similar case with my mom's house.

However I did have a stupid inspector argue that because the updated code requires that fence gates open inwards (according to him)
my fence gates which were built (30 years) before the update had to meet the new code requirements...
If my gates open inwards we can't park our vehicles...
His supervisor agreed with me, especially when I showed him my copy of the applicable code.
He even agreed that the inspector was fucking with me 'cause he had no clue who I am..

I'm extremely well versed in this building and zoning crap because gub'mins will use the code
to fuck with people they don't like.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
A good reason to not live in Florida. No such requirement here. ;)
Not sure in which city/county Rossum resides but most Florida municipalities require such house inspections before the closing
I'm in an unincorporated part of Flagler County. The County requires building permits and inspections for all manner of alterations (even, for example, replacing an outside A/C unit with one that's substantially identical), but they do not require a CO or any kind of inspection when a property changes hands.

I own property in rural SW VA as well. No CO or inspection when property changes hands. I'm not sure what requires a building permit there; the place is remote enough that I've never asked. :D

Lastly, I own property in Montgomery County PA (a county adjacent to Philly). There, the individual townships, boroughs, or other municipalities are responsible for this. My township does not require an inspection or CO when a residential property changes hands. They do require an inspection and CO when a business moves into a facility, even when it's only being rented.

I always think twice before using WMD as a source because they're as likely to lean way to the right as Huffington Post is to lean to the left, in fact more so. WMD is fond of using click bait and sensationalist headlines
It's World Net Daily, not Weapons of Mass Destruction, but yeah, a few grains of salt are definitely in order.

Last edited:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

the government requires the inspection if and when you get a sales contract...
Yes the seller doesn't have to accept the inspection in the case of an FHA loan but then the FHA won't give the buyer a loan.
And if the FHA says the seller has to fix X then the seller has to fix X if he wants to sell the home to the guy who needs an FHA loan.
Understood the FHA is a little strict, they won't accept the deal if the pain is peeling for example.

I understand one should be able to sell one's property w/o gub'min interference
but on the other hand isn't the government there to protect the citizens?
"Buyer beware" sometimes goes too far.
Back to my neighbor. There was a shitload of violations in the house he bought and because
it was a repo/foreclosure 'cause the previous owner a Colombian ... had to leave the US in a big hurry
the new owner was made to pay a bunch of fines for shit built w/o permit,
correct violations and get permits.

i often see this where somebody converts their single family residence zoned house into MFU's
(multi family units ) efficiency apartments.
The guy on the other side had 5 apartments in his single family residence home.
Why should a prospective buyer have to correct that? The violator should before he can sell the house.

We're treading on a basic necessity of civil society. Those stupid laws exist for our own good..even in and when they're a PITA.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Time said: ↑
I always think twice before using WMD as a source because they're as likely to lean way to the right as Huffington Post is to lean to the left, in fact more so. WMD is fond of using click bait and sensationalist headlines
It's World Net Daily, not Weapons of Mass Destruction, but yeah, a few grains of salt are definitely in order.

No, Time didn't say that, I did

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand one should be able to sell one's property w/o gub'min interference
but on the other hand isn't the government there to protect the citizens?

Funny, that's exactly what the FDA and anti-vaping folks say they are doing with anti-vaping regulations and sin tax. Protecting the citizens. :rolleyes:

Right along with any other legislation, regulation or tax that takes another freedom. It's for your own fucking good. ;)

Why should a prospective buyer have to correct that?

The prospective buyer should ensure that there are no violations to correct before they buy the house and if they need a nanny government to do it for them, then maybe they are not smart enough to own a house to begin with. Just as I do not feel sorry for people that blow their own faces off with mech mods and a .02 OHM coil, I don't feel sorry for people that don't do their due diligence while house shopping. Their lack of judgement does not necessitate the need for the government to take care of me by fucking things up with regulation.

Whether a dumb ass blows his own face off, buys a piece of shit or otherwise can't take care of themselves is not a reason to "inspect", tax or otherwise regulate me. They'll either smarten up or die.

We're treading on a basic necessity of civil society. Those stupid laws exist for our own good..even in and when they're a PITA.

Speak for yourself. I don't need stupid laws to protect me. :p

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
when I buy a used car I take it to MY mechanic to check out, I pay to have it inspected by someone whose experince I trust....I would not trust a slug who happened to get a job with the city in order to fill the diversity quota system..........99% of home buyers have no idea at what they are looking at when they walk through a house, anymore than most people have no idea of what they are looking at when they pop the hood of their car.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm in an unincorporated part of Flagler County. The County requires building permits and inspections for all manner of alterations (even, for example, replacing an outside A/C unit with one that's substantially identical), but they do not require a CO or any kind of inspection when a property changes hands.

I own property in rural SW VA as well. No CO or inspection when property changes hands. I'm not sure what requires a building permit there; the place is remote enough that I've never asked. :D

Lastly, I own property in Montgomery County PA (a county adjacent to Philly). There, the individual townships, boroughs, or other municipalities are responsible for this. My township does not require an inspection or CO when a residential property changes hands. They do require an inspection and CO when a business moves into a facility, even when it's only being rented.

My county also requires permits and inspections for new construction and some repairs. No inspections or anything to sell existing property. It's rural so most repair work never gets permited, if done DIY. Even better, I live on a Reservation on deeded land(non tribal) and the County and Tribe fight over jurisdiction. Both want permits and what not which sounds bad but works out very well because neither can enforce anything very well so neither try. It's a long story. Simply put, when the tax assessor finds new construction, he/she may point out that they do not have permits on record but it ends there as the Tribe will not share records. Of course, for major construction like a new home, contractors and services(power company) need to see permits and most inspections. But, go ahead and build a barn or garage, a new septic system and what not without a permit.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Better Add NEW York.

Shit go back to the electoral college map from last year... pretty much covers the list of where not to move too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
anywhere where you had a strong trade unions you are going to have stringent building codes...the unions put pressure on the cities to ensure their jobs are secured....on the one hand it helps secures higher standards of building practices on the other hand a union card don't make you honest or good at what you do....almost anybody who views their house as a home they love and or a treasured investment will ask friends and fellow homeowners for recomendations on craftsment they trust and have a long relationship with..licences and yellow pages be damned...the stupid , and the greedy hire the cheapest they can find or the idiot who has the biggest and newest pick up.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Better Add NEW York.

Shit go back to the electoral college map from last year... pretty much covers the list of where not to move too.

I dunno. New York City yes. But maybe not so much for upstate New York.

Lot's of good counties in some of the blue states, so I'm told. It's the shit cities that fuck up a State.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should have hired a lawyer.
A variance is issued for the property not for the owner.
Moreover if the property is within setback then you need no setback variance..

A change of owners does not change the property. The house next door's new owner
had to get a variance for their porch which was built sans permit.
But the new owner did not need a variance for the back Florida room for which a permit and variance were applied and granted
even though he had to get a permit to add a bath to the Florida room.

Similar case with my mom's house.

However I did have a stupid inspector argue that because the updated code requires that fence gates open inwards (according to him)
my fence gates which were built (30 years) before the update had to meet the new code requirements...
If my gates open inwards we can't park our vehicles...
His supervisor agreed with me, especially when I showed him my copy of the applicable code.
He even agreed that the inspector was fucking with me 'cause he had no clue who I am..

I'm extremely well versed in this building and zoning crap because gub'mins will use the code
to fuck with people they don't like.
I got the charges for variance re-issuance removed by going to the Boro Administrator/Fire Marshall/Construction Official/Code Enforcement Officer (one guy held all four positions in our Borough and collected 4 salaries) and he nixed the charges for me as my father used to be the Chief of Police here in town.

I agree it was improper charging to pad the books and fuckery was afoot - that's why he knocked it off for me so easily, but everyone else around has no choice but to pay the piper. What can I say, Democrats run New Jersey and Christie was too worried about being Trumps AG to fix it. Our Senator Menendez speaks volumes for how fucked we are here.

Last edited:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It just dawned on me that you did a spelling flame...Ha-Ha...it was a typo, my eyes are bad and I spent all day
cutting down my avocado tree. But since I tend to be anal about spelling also I'll take it in good spirits
and promise to return the favor. :D

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the charges for variance re-issuance removed by going to the Boro Administrator/Fire Marshall/Construction Official/Code Enforcement Officer (one guy held all four positions in our Borough and collected 4 salaries) and he nixed the charges for me as my father used to be the Chief of Police here in town.

I agree it was improper charging to pad the books and fuckery was afoot - that's why he knocked it off for me so easily, but everyone else around has no choice but to pay the piper. What can I say, Democrats run New Jersey and Christie was too worried about being Trumps AG to fix it. Our Senator Menendez speaks volumes for how fucked we are here.
That's acceptable then..Your old man having been the chief of police undoubtedly helped,
old boy network and all...but I disagree that others have no choice but to pay the piper.

They pay the piper because most are ignorant of the law
and going along with the man is easier than questioning his authority.
When authority makes sense and is legal I tend to comply but otherwise I refuse to.
I'm glad that they didn't screw you.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny, that's exactly what the FDA and anti-vaping folks say they are doing with anti-vaping regulations and sin tax. Protecting the citizens. :rolleyes:

Right along with any other legislation, regulation or tax that takes another freedom. It's for your own fucking good. ;)

The prospective buyer should ensure that there are no violations to correct before they buy the house and if they need a nanny government to do it for them, then maybe they are not smart enough to own a house to begin with. Just as I do not feel sorry for people that blow their own faces off with mech mods and a .02 OHM coil, I don't feel sorry for people that don't do their due diligence while house shopping. Their lack of judgement does not necessitate the need for the government to take care of me by fucking things up with regulation.

Whether a dumb ass blows his own face off, buys a piece of shit or otherwise can't take care of themselves is not a reason to "inspect", tax or otherwise regulate me. They'll either smarten up or die.

Speak for yourself. I don't need stupid laws to protect me. :p
You missing the point on purpose?
The only reason for the existence of government is to protect the citizens,
not from themselves which is what FDA et al try to do but from other, enemy forces and crooks and such.

The only reasonable reason for the existence of building and zoning laws is to guarantee the standard of living of the citizen.

For example. If a guy buys the house next to me and turns it into an apartment building,
because of building and zoning laws I have the right to demand remedy.
If I wanted to live in multi-family zoned neighborhood where the infrastructure is geared to support more people than a single family residential zoned neighborhood I would.

Would you like a Mosque in your neighborhood?

If a guy then sells his apartment building in a house to another guy and the municipality doesn't make the seller turn the property back into a single family home then the new owner is likely to rent the units, the violation is perpetuated and my expected standard of living as well as the value of my property suffers from it.

Aside from the interests of builder's unions the interest of the public is paramount.
Most people save and slave in order to afford a home in the first place.
Not every one is a handy person or knowledgeable about house construction.
It's silly to expect every one to be so.
As I mentioned most people save and slave in order to buy a house, even the down payment is
a hardship. Rather than expect a buyer to spend even more money on paying an inspector
(the inspection fails they're out the money) it behooves that an authority verify that the seller does so in good
faith and does not sell a defective product.

Comparing vaping with building and zoning is like comparing apples and oranges.
In vaping government seeks to mislabel a product, control it for the benefit of BT and BP
and to enforce what can only be called a repeating sin tax on vapers and the vaping industry.

In building and zoning government seeks to guarantee the safety of people's shelters
and the money that they spend on those shelters.
While we don't al need to vape we do all need shelter.

Don't compare me with Robert, please. My opinions are reasoned and considered, not something I heard on CNN.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno. New York City yes. But maybe not so much for upstate New York.

Lot's of good counties in some of the blue states, so I'm told. It's the shit cities that fuck up a State.
I live in California. The part the is Red on the maps.. New York stays..... it those big cities that put the states on the no go list....

Earthquake or 100 foot tidal would solve my problem.. Go global warming..... don't know about the rest.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK.. you people want to try and understand what California is all about and what makes it tick......here this guy..a real California boy..he is a writer historian and college proffesor of the classics...his family has been in California for generations, they were farmers..he lives in the same community his family settled in generations ago..

Last edited:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scrolled through the past two pages and now I'm not only hungry for pizza I'm scared to order it with extra cheese and pepperoni. Is this some sort of new underground code wording or something? Pervs best not fuck up my pizza game.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Once Phil Murphy gets elected Jersey will be completely unliveable
New Jersey has been completely unlivable for as long as I can remember.

GK6JF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors