Become a Patron!

Thoughts on Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl tastes.. :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
How many of you practice clean vaping? Just curious.. and if so, for how long?
I mean complete avoidance of diacetyl and acetyl propionyl.. "bad stuff" in flavorings..

I have been doing this since late Sept, early Oct of last year.. now, when I try other juice using flavorings that have diacetyl and acetyl propionyl in them.. I can either notice, or taste, and when I do, its really bad!
Like rancid butter than went bad years ago.. I am wondering if there is others out there that are vaping clean and notice too.. or want to try and see if I am the only one.. I know I can't be.. but I am curious on this..

so.. if anyone wants to try and see, love to hear some feedback..

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix my own liquid, so I have control of the flavorings. I'd like to think I can identify the diacetyl in a vape by the sort of slicker mouth feel it gives, but I suspect if a component flavoring was in a bottled liquid in small enough percentages, I wouldn't be able to tell. When in doubt, I will just do a mouth puff without inhaling, making the risk minimal.

I have cut my flavoring percentages down by half over the last year in my mixes. I am assuming that I am reducing flavoring risks by half as well.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I mix my own liquid, so I have control of the flavorings. I'd like to think I can identify the diacetyl in a vape by the sort of slicker mouth feel it gives, but I suspect if a component flavoring was in a bottled liquid in small enough percentages, I wouldn't be able to tell. When in doubt, I will just do a mouth puff without inhaling, making the risk minimal.

I have cut my flavoring percentages down by half over the last year in my mixes. I am assuming that I am reducing flavoring risks by half as well.

what i am talking about is self mixing (not purchased flavored juices).. with flavors that do have diacetyl and acetyl propionyl..
after vaping clean for a while..

i am looking for people that vape clean for more than a month.... and then have tried the bad flavorings..

and who knows if cutting those kinds of flavors reduces tastes, risks etc..

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm officially watching this thread. I've never gone longer than a couple of weeks without vaping some questionable (meaning, most likely containing D, AP or A) juice, but will be interested to hear others who have done so chime in here.

I do recall reading comments to the effect of yours, Smoky--that after not having it for a while, the risky ingredients stick out in an unpleasant way. I can't remember who said it now, but I'm sure you're not alone in this experience.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I do recall reading comments to the effect of yours, Smoky--that after not having it for a while, the risky ingredients stick out in an unpleasant way.

Yes, and not just diacetyl/subs. Quit using sweeteners in your vapes a while, and liquids with them taste sickly sweet. Vape unflavored base a while, and you need waaay less flavoring when you start using it again.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix my own and I do my best to make sure I vape clean.
So long as the concentrates I get are free of them things.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I vape what I feel like vaping. If a flavoring I like is scary to others, I could care less. Many of my recipes dont contain anything questionable, some do. I move from someone elses perceived safety, to some elses perceived danger. I dont perceive either because I dont give two shits.

So called baddies are only a teeny tiny percentage of all the artificial and natural chemicals that make up the rainbow of flavors available. There could be a chemical essential for pear, or strawberry, or chocolate, or lychee, or banana, or bourbon, or chai tea or whatever, that might be the next one to potentially causes illness. Since there are many many many different chemicals we inhale in the flavors we vape, I assume there are many many many more that are harmful, but we dont know yet.
If we all took comprehensive approaches towards the chemicals we vape, and vaped absolutely nothing deemed harmful to anyone, we wouldnt be vaping anything at all. We all came from a time when we killed ourselves with every puff we took, and we still do, just not nearly as quickly.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
no no no you guys are missing my point here..

try vaping nothing but confirmed clean flavoring for a while..
(and yes @HeadInClouds withholding sugar/vaping just vg will make things mixed seem overpowering.. etc.. )

but on purpose... only use those flavors that you know are safe for a while.. and then tell me, on vaping other things.. how it tastes..
because now.. I dont think I can stand the taste of rancid butter, or other such lovies in my juice.. it really is a shock in my mouth..
makes me wonder just what we are all vaping..

id love to put a challenge up to every one in this thread.. to vape clean for 6 months and then tell what all we taste in juice..

@Pauly Walnuts
yeah yeah i know "We all came from a time when we killed ourselves with every puff we took, and we still do, just not nearly as quickly."

thing is, most stop smoking because it is bad.. vaping is only an alternative with less harmful effects..
and that is why i tried to go clean for a while, to ease up on questionable flavorings.. and I sure can tell the difference..
I dont know if I will ever go back to how I vaped before this experiment I did..
I can only hope the flavor companies can keep up with me and start making better flavorings that are safer.. just as quick as they can :)

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape what I feel like vaping. If a flavoring I like is scary to others, I could care less. Many of my recipes dont contain anything questionable, some do. I move from someone elses perceived safety, to some elses perceived danger. I dont perceive either because I dont give two shits.

So called baddies are only a teeny tiny percentage of all the artificial and natural chemicals that make up the rainbow of flavors available. There could be a chemical essential for pear, or strawberry, or chocolate, or lychee, or banana, or bourbon, or chai tea or whatever, that might be the next one to potentially causes illness. Since there are many many many different chemicals we inhale in the flavors we vape, I assume there are many many many more that are harmful, but we dont know yet.
If we all took comprehensive approaches towards the chemicals we vape, and vaped absolutely nothing deemed harmful to anyone, we wouldnt be vaping anything at all. We all came from a time when we killed ourselves with every puff we took, and we still do, just not nearly as quickly.
Based on this...
I think I might venture out a bit more and ENJOY my vaping experience to the utmost! In moderation of course.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I totally agree. I started DIY to make a couple of clones and then bought the entire FA collection and a few "must haves" and the multipacks from TFA. TFA Sweet Cream I tried using for a friend in a recipe and it was totally nasty like you describe... My friend thought it was good, but also is a smoker. After almost 7 months without a pack a day of stinkies and how just a single cigarette butt has always smelled to me, I still have 50 bottles of Vendor juice I'll never vape, and 20-30 flavors I'll never mix with.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure juice junkies could go cold turkey! :D

In all seriousness however, I have to agree that once you get used to clean flavors and even lightly flavored juices, you are unlikely to need or want to go back. I do, on occasion, enjoy some mixes that are questionable but they no longer hold sway over me like they once did.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I just wonder... how i can go back.. but then i have to stop and think of the good flavors I have I love.. and they are clean.. :D
but I'd love a good yogurt vape.. or to find my most wanted ddl... omy!! I have made a few clean versions.. but..

and I have tried going back.. I change up my juice at least 10-12 times a day.. but I have to agree with Bumba..
I have a lot of VaperSlam juice.. I just cant vape.. :(

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now just have your boyfriend retry those cherries.. I've yet to open my cherries. But all my strawberries are good! And I've been through a bottle of FA Vienna cream.

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like unflavored quite often. I mainly mix with FA. My one guilty pleasure is tfa ry4 with some bav cream. I haven't had store bought juice for well over a yr. When I do go to shops and smell some of the juice -- even the so called premium mixes I get that rancid smell.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Smoky Blue, since you removed that note from your mixes you can know taste it.

I don't like butter, early on I found many mixes that contained that flavor note.
Never choose those in my DIY.
Good thing I enjoy mints, menthols.
Like, HeadInClouds , I vape unflavored to reset my taste.

VU Sponsors