Become a Patron!

This teen's vape exploded, shattering his jaw

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive never seen a cell "explode" with force though, only venting gases....
Yep and fire hot enought to melt metal.
however the explosion is unually in a mech mod where the mech cannot vent the gasses fast enough and the 510 or top of the mod pops shooting into the person holding it near their face.

Bottom venting in mechs kinda sucks unless the cell is positive towards switch.
the cell expands when it heats up when venting happens and will not let the gasses get down to the switch end, and they WILL go somewhere.

Many/most non vaping literate refer to mods as the battery. And that is it's main purpose...

Bathubs...
Man I gotta go take a shower....
Wish me luck.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06...njuries-resemble-results-of-high-speed-crash/

View attachment 141225

CNN is full of shit. The linked story includes the fact that a VGOD device was the mod in question.
C'mon Arman Azad.......you are "journalist", no?

View attachment 141226

Sorry again CNN.....I use the same LG HG2 battery for my mech that I use in my regulated device. I do have to say props to them for even mentioning "mechanical mods". Most stories of this nature leave that fact out.

And is it me? It bugs me in situations like this that there is no differentiation between e-cigarettes and vaping devices.
Do you ever hear of a cigalike malfunctioning? And I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard about any regulated device skaploding.

Last thing.....it strikes me that a lot of the media coverage on vaping devices exhibits about the same level of understanding that the media has about guns.....which is to say, none at all.
Well CNN wasn't given the title of "fake news" for nothing..they are just the propoganda machine of the corporate elite.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I prefer a world where we are responsible for our own actions.

This nanny state shit is annoying and ruins everything for people who take the time to do things the right way and learn about the power they are turning on in front of their face. I am of the opinion that if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

We should sue the people who ruin it for everyone else because they are risking our lives by making harm reduction methods more difficult to obtain each time they blow their dumb asses up by doing stupid things and there is a possibility we die from going back to smoking and the illnesses associated with it. Might be time for a People vs. Dumb People class action lawsuit.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This "story" that looks all fresh, new, and scary but happened over a year ago. (March 2018)

Why are they just reporting on it now???

The kid had been vaping a month and mom of the year buys junior a fucking Vgod mech mod with a hybrid top cap.:facepalm:

In fact maybe she should be charged with at least buying the device for a minor since she fucking admitted to it right here:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

D9mjr5KXoAEBbyc.jpg

D9mjr5TXsAEfI7F.jpg

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06...njuries-resemble-results-of-high-speed-crash/

View attachment 141225

CNN is full of shit. The linked story includes the fact that a VGOD device was the mod in question.
C'mon Arman Azad.......you are "journalist", no?

View attachment 141226

Sorry again CNN.....I use the same LG HG2 battery for my mech that I use in my regulated device. I do have to say props to them for even mentioning "mechanical mods". Most stories of this nature leave that fact out.

And is it me? It bugs me in situations like this that there is no differentiation between e-cigarettes and vaping devices.
Do you ever hear of a cigalike malfunctioning? And I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard about any regulated device skaploding.

Last thing.....it strikes me that a lot of the media coverage on vaping devices exhibits about the same level of understanding that the media has about guns.....which is to say, none at all.

I saw this and was thinking, wow this is detailed.
Then they got to the part where mechs use "more powerful" batteries:facepalm:

They are all the same - 3.7 volts.

it doesn't matter if it's a trustfire "7500000mah 3000amp" 18650 or a Sony VTC5a 18650 they both put out the same amount of "power".

One does it much better and for longer but both are considered 3.7volt lithium ion cells.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clearly nobody in this entire story had or has the first flickering clue how to handle a hybrid mechanical device.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

it doesn't matter if it's a trustfire "7500000mah 3000amp" 18650 or a Sony VTC5a 18650 they both put out the same amount of "power".

One does it much better and for longer but both are considered 3.7volt lithium ion cells.
Umm the lower the internal resistance of the cell the more current and the better meltdown if shorted.
Some of the dinky cells have such a high internal resistance they are a bit harder to get to go into meltdown.
Mooch has mentioned this.
Higher energy density is also a factor. More energy to release when the cell is shorted internally from overcurrent/heating.
I suspect thought that all good cells rated at 20 amps or more will meltdown about the same.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clearly nobody in this entire story had or has the first flickering clue how to handle a hybrid mechanical device.
Hybrid mechs are the most dangerous for unskilled vapers.
No way to check the coil resistance or for shorts on another mod that checks resistance.

Just keep holding the switch in it has to fire sometime...
BOOM!

The first rule of using a mech is if it does not fire like it should figure out why do not keep trying to fire it. It could be an open but it also could be a short....

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only time Ive ever had a cell vent was when Ive either done it on purpose or with shitty tube mods that had button get stuck on...I could tell from the heat that it was time to unscrew and toss the battery into a ceramic cup though..

Ive never seen a cell "explode" with force though, only venting gases....

Im a forum jackass and I vape daily on .06-.07 all day every day on the same cells for years (VTC5A/VTC4) on Tube mods and Parallel Mods without issue...Ive even tested some builds as low as .02 Ohms without anything more then some excessive temperatures. I know Im not alone here, almost all the builders I know on Instagram follow a similar vape style and I've yet to see one have a problem. My guess is that these users with "cell explosions" are using Chinese crap cells or relabeled cells and pushing them over their amperage by a large margin or putting their cells in wrong, or having a malfunction of their mods.

Like this one @ .02 Ohms:

21147367_1651107818294628_5133406055333625856_n.jpg
21147293_1853515711631504_7461670679323082752_n.jpg
You're a madman.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hybrid mechs are the most dangerous for unskilled vapers.
No way to check the coil resistance or for shorts on another mod that checks resistance.

Just keep holding the switch in it has to fire sometime...
BOOM!

The first rule of using a mech is if it does not fire like it should figure out why do not keep trying to fire it. It could be an open but it also could be a short....
anyone that owns a mech should have a voltage meter or at least a regulated mod with a meter....geez we went over that ground a loooooooooong time ago...my first mech was a Smok Natural and I ordered a voltage meter at the same time I ordered that mod, even now when I build on a regulated mod the first thing I check is the resistance just out of habit...and I'm a MTL vaper, I'm no where near skirting the parameters of my batteries.....and the lower you build the more important a good voltage meter is needed if you're gonna use mechs.....We don't cry when some idiot cuts his hand off, because he doesn't use a table saw properly, I can't see why we should care when they don't use a mech properly....the kid's first mistake was trusting his mother's judgment........I hope he never does that again.

"It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools"

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep. I had not noticed that until they showed pics of after healing some.
I guess they just wanted to renew vape fears?

slow news day here in shitcago = no gang murders, yet. so they are filling in with this.

their ignorance on this. what else do they say is factual ?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Power equals watts, not volts. But anyway, even if we could assume that mechs use the kind of batteries that are capable to produce higher watts without overheating themselves too fast, i.e. typical "high drain" batteries the CDR of which is substantially higher than the CDR of typical "high capacity" batteries, which, BTW, isn't an unreasonable assumption by far, then there's still also the fact to consider that high drain batteries generally are less volatile, i.e. generally they cause a less violent reaction when they vent or when they go into thermal runaway, when compared to high capacity batteries. That said, anyone can go out to buy a sawing machine and cut off a limb.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Smollett isn't in the News there? Special Prosecutor and Foxx is going to get hers~!

oh yeah, it is. but of course they don't give it the recognition it deserves. they are still sort of acting like he is the victim.

I hope she goes to prison, and smilat also. but it bet they get nothing more than a slap on the hand.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they are still sort of acting like he is the victim.
Ohh he is the victim of himself and his mothers stupidity.
not of a mod or battery maker.

sorry that may be a little nonsensical. I saw steve posted after me and do not see that he posted unless it is the last post in thread.
Nor do I see his quoted material.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hope she goes to prison, and smilat also.

There is definitely a lot of speculation on what the Special Investigation will uncover. There is also a Judges ruling to look into all offices that had anything to do with the original charges being dropped. Smollett could be charged again which is what I want to see happen. Going to be interesting when the person or people who influenced it comes out. Hey MO?

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ohh he is the victim of himself and his mothers stupidity.
not of a mod or battery maker.

sorry that may be a little nonsensical. I saw steve posted after me and do not see that he posted unless it is the last post in thread.
Nor do I see his quoted material.

you know that, and I know that. but common sense is loosing in popularity these days.

and we are talking about smollet being in the news.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
There is definitely a lot of speculation on what the Special Investigation will uncover. There is also a Judges ruling to look into all offices that had anything to do with the original charges being dropped. Smollett could be charged again which is what I want to see happen. Going to be interesting when the person or people who influenced it comes out. Hey MO?

that may or may not pan out. but I HOPE it does !

MO for sure. I bet that doesn't happen.

VU Sponsors