This Hurts My Brain

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My daughter and I went through the McDonald's driveway window and I gave the cashier a $5 bill.
Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her 25c.
She said, 'you gave me too much money.'
I said, 'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar coin back.'
She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the 25c, and said 'We're sorry but we don’t do that kind of thing.'
The cashier then proceeded to give me back 75 cents in change.
Do not confuse the people at MacD's.

We had to have the garage door repaired.
The repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.
I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said, 'You need a 1/4 horsepower.'
I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4 and he said, 'NOOO, it's not. Four is larger than two.'
We haven't used that repairman since...

I live in a semi rural area.
We recently had a new neighbor call the local city council office to request the removal of the DEAR CROSSING sign on our road.
The reason: 'Too many dears are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore.'

IDIOT SIGHTING IN FOOD SERVICE.
My daughter went to a Mexican fast food and ordered a taco.
She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.'
He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked,
'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?'
To which I replied, 'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded, 'That's why we ask.'

The pedestrian light on the corner beeps when it's safe to cross the street.
I was crossing with an 'intellectually challenged' co-worker of mine.
She asked if I knew what the beeper was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded, 'what on earth are blind people doing driving?!'
She is a government employee.....

When my husband and I arrived at a car dealership to pick up our car after a
service, we were told the keys had been locked in it.
We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver’s side door.
As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked.
‘Hey,' I announced to the technician, 'its open!'
His reply, 'I know. I already did that side
.'

STAY ALERT!
They walk among us, they breed, and they vote…....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
then they elect these...
During a 2010 hearing on a plan to transfer thousands of Marines to the small island of Guam, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.)had some concerns. Said he, “My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.” Now, that’s what I appreciate, a public servant who can think outside the box.

But don’t worry, Hank. You can always pass legislation mandating that half the Marines must stay on one side of the island, and the other half on the other side.

During the 2010 National Prayer Breakfast, Barack Obama singled out a Navy corpsman for praise, which was fine. Only, hepronounced the designation “corpse-man.”

Of course, anyone can misspeak.

Three times in a row?

But let not your heart be troubled, Barry; you still look smart next to ol’ “Lunch Bucket” Joe.

While campaigning for the White House in 2008, Joe Biden criticized the Republicans’ handling of the financial crisis andsaid, “When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here's what happened.’”

I know, it reminds me of how, after the battles of Lexington and Concord, George Washington hopped on Air Force One and sprang into action.

For you younger folks, no, this 1990s video is not a Saturday Night Live spoof. This is a real person — honestly and truly. Her name is Joycelyn Elders, and, once upon a time, she actually was the Surgeon General of these United States (emphasis is on “general”; ergo the funny uniform). Towards the end of the video she gives her prescription for remedying gun violence and states, “We can make safer weapons; we can make safer bullets.”

And Elders was back imparting wisdom in 2007, saying, “If we want to talk about teaching children sexuality education, it starts at birth.” Yeah, well, I guess we’ll just have to bite the safer bullet.
Let not forget the wisdom of this one to teach kids about masterbation and if they were having a hard time lending them a hand.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OMG! WTF is wrong with people these days!?
It seems that this generation of people with their smart phones have traded in their brains for stupidity all for a piece of technology....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OMG! WTF is wrong with people these days!?
It seems that this generation of people with their smart phones have traded in their brains for stupidity all for a piece of technology....
I blame fluoride, corn syrup, soy, ssri in the water supply and the cellphones.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some of those can't even be real.

That first one, I know for sure is real. I live that shit! I'm still trying to get some of my cashiers to understand the concept of people not wanting to receive coinage back. They're making it easier for both of you! Either way, the register will do the math for you. I get called up to deal with shit like this all of the time. God forbid they enter in the wrong amount of money and have to do the mental math to figure out how much change to give out (they don't seem to get that it will even-out if they tell the register they got more money than they did - the math is the same if you just take out however much you're over what you received from the amount of change it thinks you should give out.)

...I don't know if our education system is really failing us that badly, or if very basic money handling is just so intimidating to some folks that they literally shut down at thought of a minor discrepancy. Some people don't do so well under pressure. I see this kinda stupid shit mostly in people with not a lot of work or general real-world experience. They flat-out have no idea what they're doing and they know it. It scares them.

I think they just don't take a second to stop and think critically about the situation. Some folks just aren't used to that, I guess. It's very strange. We're living in a world where it is possible to go about our days without doing much, if any real problem solving. I think that trips people up who are otherwise capable of not being stupid in novel situations. When something pops up where they have to think on their feet, they get confused because they're not used to having to do that. I think it's largely a cultural thing.

Reminds me of Idiocracy....

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fair enough!

Soon enough we will be a cashless society and we won't have to worry about having to use math to figure out change. (wait did I just say this outloud!?)

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fair enough!

Soon enough we will be a cashless society and we won't have to worry about having to use math to figure out change. (wait did I just say this outloud!?)
Seems like the next logical step. When you get right down to it, physical cash is merely a tangible representation of something that is inherently intangible. The value of commodities and work done is contextual. It's not something that can be objectively quantified in a way that's agreeable or practical for all. So with that in mind, why not cut out the middle man and make the representative of that intangible as well?

It's just going to be very difficult to implement an entirely digital monetary system. We've got to be at least another decade or two away from that.

All things considered, you're still going to need to have basic number sense as well as a reasonable grasp of basic operations in order to budget and such... ...so that's a problem we'll likely still have.

Then again, I remember when math teachers wouldn't let us use calculators under the pretense of "You're not going to have a calculator with you everywhere you go." So there's that...

Last edited:

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, even 3rd world countries are leading us in academics.

Thug life
Yolo
Bad bitch

Sigh, i plan to retire of the country.

VU Sponsors