Become a Patron!

Thinner or thicker wire for certain ohm's?

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is something I've been wondering for awhile. If I'm going for a certain resistance (let's say 1.5 ohm), which is better: more wraps thicker wire or less wraps thinner wire? On one hand, I think it doesn't matter. On the other, I think more wraps/thinner wire due to heating more of the wick.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thick wire will have less resistance per unit of length and should heat up faster. Outside of that, it's just down to preference and how much room you've got to work with.

vapire

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I could be wrong but what I've noticed the more wraps you have the longer initial heat starts up. So I would say thinner wire less wraps.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thick wire will have less resistance per unit of length and should heat up faster. Outside of that, it's just down to preference and how much room you've got to work with.
That's what I was thinking, didn't know how to write it. Would there be a noticeable difference in performance?

DasBlunderbuss

Member For 4 Years
I've only used 30g kanthal so far, but my single wire coils heat up faster than my twisted wire builds even though they are almost the same resistance.
The cool down is definitely longer on the twisted coils.

Edit: both were .5ohm give or take a hundredth.

Last edited:

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's an app that you put the gauge wire you have and ohms your looking for and it will tell you how many wraps to use.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I've noticed, the more surface area of wire the better the flavor and vapor. The thicker wire does heat up lower due to more mass so it's a trade off.

This s with kanthal, as I've not tried nichrome or any of the specialty wires.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had a problem with thin wire burning.
I think it's all a matter of preference. I found the wire I like, from there I tweaked builds I liked better than the last one.

For me more or less wraps depends on diameter (besides ohms). Too many wraps on a small diameter dries out the center before the ends heat up.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Thicker wire takes longer to heat up (more bulk material, so more heat to reach the same temp), but has a lower resistance per foot/turn/whatever.

Thinner wire gets hotter faster and has a greater resistance per unit length. The heat is concentrated over a smaller surface area, though, so it creates more of a "Hot Spot".

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sure nitrobex wrote a long article on this. I remember reading it when I first joined but I can't find it now

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There's an app that you put the gauge wire you have and ohms your looking for and it will tell you how many wraps to use.
Steam Engine...decent, a little knowledge required.

JerryOden

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
24g at 6 wraps on a dual coil was .54 ohms. So I would think 24g 7 wrap single would be about where you are looking to be.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
24g at 6 wraps on a dual coil was .54 ohms. So I would think 24g 7 wrap single would be about where you are looking to be.
That's pretty accurate, fer what I just had made, still need to buy 24g. wire...got a Lemo, too. And the build WORKS, and well.

VU Sponsors