Become a Patron!

Think I broke my new Ijoy rtda box.

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm very new to this, been only vaping for like a month or so. I was readjusting my coils cause they wasn't firing right. So when I finally got it good on both sides. I decided to clean the build in tank. Well not thinking I let water run all on the mod.
After drying decided to insert the batteries and fire her up.

Well my LCD screen would not come on. After many tries, the LCD screen will stay on its loading image, LCD screen won't come on at all. It even fire up my coils hot red real quick like. I could only stop it by pooping out the batteries, the firing button wasn't responding.

So did I broke my new toy and need to replace it, or should I just wait it out?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yikes, I don't really know that particular mod but I know you should never run any mod under the water, there are electronic components built into them that shouldn't get wet. I have heard that sometimes you can put the device in a ziplock bag with some dry rice for a few days helps dry it out, sorry to hear that and welcome to VU and good luck.:wave:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So I'm very new to this, been only vaping for like a month or so. I was readjusting my coils cause they wasn't firing right. So when I finally got it good on both sides. I decided to clean the build in tank. Well not thinking I let water run all on the mod.
After drying decided to insert the batteries and fire her up.

Well my LCD screen would not come on. After many tries, the LCD screen will stay on its loading image, LCD screen won't come on at all. It even fire up my coils hot red real quick like. I could only stop it by pooping out the batteries, the firing button wasn't responding.

So did I broke my new toy and need to replace it, or should I just wait it out?
sounds like you ruined the board by getting it wet with water. leave it off with no batts and give it a few days to dry out and if it still doesn't work then it's trash. I wouldn't expect it to work though but you never know.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yikes, I don't really know that particular mod but I know you should never run any mod under the water, there are electronic components built into them that shouldn't get wet. I have heard that sometimes you can put the device in a ziplock bag with some dry rice for a few days helps dry it out, sorry to hear that and welcome to VU and good luck.:wave:
dry rice speeds up the moisture removal. it's good for a cell phone but i wouldn't do it for a mod. too many places for rice to get stuck in. I'd just let it air dry personally.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A few months back, I had my SMY 60 Watt Mini escape from my shirt pocket, drop and hit a rock in my driveway which knocked the door off before the mod landed in a puddle of muddy water.

I brought it inside, wiped the dirt off and placed it into a largish bag full of white rice where I let it sit in a warm area for 48 hours.

When I took it out, I wiped the rice dust off of it, put in a battery and it fired right up.

I am still using this mod as part of my rotation of Vapetoys!

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't know if my pic came up. But incase it did. It's the one on the right, the green one. It's the mod/box in question.

Attachments

• 20161216_164924.jpg
    20161216_164924.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 25

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I just happen to been having the worst luck with vaping. The first one I bought was that smok alien 220w in the left of the picture. Well the pin in the mod was push too far down, so pretty much broken. And now this, along with other BS with some tanks.
I'm just thinking it be easier and a less of a pain to go back to cigarettes.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Well I just happen to been having the worst luck with vaping. The first one I bought was that smok alien 220w in the left of the picture. Well the pin in the mod was push too far down, so pretty much broken. And now this, along with other BS with some tanks.
I'm just thinking it be easier and a less of a pain to go back to cigarettes.
yeah don't give up yet. the alien shouldn't be broken. have you tried to use pencil and push the 510 pin if it's stuck? if that doesn't work you can warranty it. but lets see if we can get it working for you. what happens when you try and put a tank on it?

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe true, but after $250.00 gone to shit in the span of less than a month. Them least 5 cartons of smokes. I guess I'll hang in there. I do enjoy the flavor types out there. And just getting that nicotine fix without all them other extra chemicals. A learning process I suppose.

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah don't give up yet. the alien shouldn't be broken. have you tried to use pencil and push the 510 pin if it's stuck? if that doesn't work you can warranty it. but lets see if we can get it working for you. what happens when you try and put a tank on it?

I try but that thing is just wedge in there.

Attachments

• 20161227_193807.jpg
    20161227_193807.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20161227_193732.jpg
    20161227_193732.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 26

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so it won't wiggle out at all. what happens if you put a tank on it and try to fire? maybe a tank being tightened down will pop it out? If not try and warranty it from smok or the store you got it from

Last I try to use it. It spark on me from the connection area. I remove the tank and it's pin smell so burnt.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Last I try to use it. It spark on me from the connection area. I remove the tank and it's pin smell so burnt.
thats not right at all. it should only say check atomizer. I'd open up a warranty claim with smok or if you can the store that you got it from.

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thats not right at all. it should only say check atomizer. I'd open up a warranty claim with smok or if you can the store that you got it from.

That I did, which in turn got the IJOY RDTA BOX which my genius of a mind decided to give it a bubble bath.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That I did, which in turn got the IJOY RDTA BOX which my genius of a mind decided to give it a bubble bath.
oh dam. Thought you still had the alien. Guess it's time to try another device? somehting thats cheap and solid as a rock for me is the smoant battlestar. gearbest sells them for like 35 bucks. I have a yellow already and my copper one is arriving today
http://www.gearbest.com/temperature-control-mods/pp_447928.html?wid=21
what do you have for your atomizer?

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh dam. Thought you still had the alien. Guess it's time to try another device? somehting thats cheap and solid as a rock for me is the smoant battlestar. gearbest sells them for like 35 bucks. I have a yellow already and my copper one is arriving today
http://www.gearbest.com/temperature-control-mods/pp_447928.html?wid=21
what do you have for your atomizer?

I was using what it came with then traded it all in for the ijoy. On the ijoy rebuild ones I was using alien wire.
I've also got a top drip one also. And just got an RTDA Limitless XL.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I was using what it came with then traded it all in for the ijoy. On the ijoy rebuild ones I was using alien wire.
I've also got a top drip one also. And just got an RTDA Limitless XL.
so your good on the tank already. you just need a working mod. Are you in the US? i assume you;d want some fast shipping.
you can use vapecrawler.com to price check or if you are desperate hit up a local shop. it'll cost more but you won't have to wait. I know you had issues with your alien but i still recommend it. outside of that the touchscreen g-priv is nice, the hpriv, smoant battlestar, hohmwrecker G2. are a few good ones.

I just made my best of 2016 video as well which mentions a ton of products.

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so your good on the tank already. you just need a working mod. Are you in the US? i assume you;d want some fast shipping.
you can use vapecrawler.com to price check or if you are desperate hit up a local shop. it'll cost more but you won't have to wait. I know you had issues with your alien but i still recommend it. outside of that the touchscreen g-priv is nice, the hpriv, smoant battlestar, hohmwrecker G2. are a few good ones.

I just made my best of 2016 video as well which mentions a ton of products.
Yeah just need a solid box that can take a beating be nice too. Don't suppose there is one built like the hulk, or a hummer or tank.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Take the batteries out dry them as much as possible and set them aside, do not recharge for a day. Take the battery cover off your mod and shake as much water out as you can, leave the cover and atomizer off, and set beside your batteries or in a warm dry place, and let it dry out for a couple days. IF you are lucky, your mod should work. UNLESS.... and here is the heart breaker.. unless you shorted one of the ic components by firing when wet.
I've actually dropped my mod into the bath tub.. where it promptly sank to the bottom. You can't get much more wet than that.. but I took it out, took the batteries out right away, shook it dry and set it aside for a day. Put the batteries back in the dried out mod and it worked.
Never run current through a wet electric device. Apparently, this also works with cell phones sometimes, if you get the battery out quick enough.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It spark on me from the connection area. I remove the tank and it's pin smell so burnt.
Oh. that is soooo not good.
Oh well. Dry it out good, take the top off if you can and inspect the 510 carefully from underneath where the wires are. If there are any melted or fused wires, the mod is probably shot.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Usually if a PCB is exposed to a bit of water you can just dry it out and it will be fine. Gets more complicated if you try and use it while it is wet or the wet thing is not plain water but you can still be lucky. LCD panels don't really like water much tho. Definitely worth leaving in a warm dry place for a while and hoping it comes back to life.

VU Sponsors