Become a Patron!

The Steam Company - The Gentleman's Reserve

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just picked a bottle of this stuff up from a local B&M. Lately it's become difficult for me to find juice that outshines my own DIY mixes, which is something that I find unfortunate. I try to support my local shops as much as I can, but it's hard for me to justify spending twenty dollars on a bottle of juice that doesn't taste as good as my own and costs me a great deal more to boot. In a year of experimenting with DIY, I've become quite proficient at it. I can go down the line at the tasting bar and sample every flavor that interests me while saying to myself, "Nope. Nope. Close, but mine is better. Nope. Interesting. Nah, mine's way better."

Today I happened upon The Gentleman's Reserve, and by the third draw from a cheap plastic BCC powered by a failing eGo knockoff, I was convinced that I had NO idea how to make a good juice. My plan was to get it home and into a dripper ASAP, but the store was out of 6mg, so I had to settle for 12. I was not leaving that store without a bottle of this, nicotine be damned. Once home, I cleaned and rebuilt a Kayfun, wicked it up with cotton, and set it on top of a Nemesis. I vape at right around 15 watts on a mech/KF combo with 12mg.

TGR delivers a blend of bourbon, coconut, and almond with a slight woody undertone. It is actually very reminiscent of an Almond Joy candy bar at first taste, but with a bite. As I am prone to rampant experimentation with my own juice, I proceeded to slap a dual micro coil build onto my TOBH at .32 ohms, fluffed up a cozy bed of cotton, loaded up a fresh VTC4 into my Stingray, and ran some serious voltage through it:

The bourbon and oak notes explode on the exhale. The coconut is still very present, but with a more toasty aroma. It is quite a rich flavor overall, but not cloyingly sweet. It's a mellow, relaxing vape that makes me crave an ice-cold craft beer to go along with it. It's certainly not something I'll be vaping all day, but I'll definitely be purchasing more when I'm out, hopefully at 6mg next time so I can inhale this flavor into my very soul without choking myself into a coma.

I can think of only one caveat for this juice: Vapor production is a bit on the thin side for a 50/50 blend, which is the ratio claimed by the manufacturer. 50/50 has been one of my preferred ratios for DIY since the beginning, so I know exactly what sort of consistency it should have and what sort of cloud it should produce at a given wattage. TGR is very thin for a 50/50, which leads me to conclude that there is an additional diluent at work in this juice, probably distilled water. Vapor production is in the range of an 80/20 juice, but it is just as smooth as I would expect a 50/50 to be. Distilled water is an ingredient I've been meaning to experiment with for some time now, and if this juice is any indication of what I can expect from such a mix flavor-wise, I'll be trying out some distilled water in my next DIY blend.

On the bright side, the lighter consistency means that it wicks fabulously in tank-style devices, and I can open up the airflow on my Kayfun to a very comfortable level without fear of drying my wick out. I suspect this is why it tasted so good even in a $4 BCC.

So whether you're a fan of coconut, clearomizers, craft beer, or pretentiously-named "artisan" juices, I highly suggest you give this stuff a shot. It's a couple of bucks more than you might pay for something else, but if you like it as much as I do, it just might be one of those rare liquids you're glad to have around when you're in the mood for it!

VU Sponsors