Become a Patron!

The REAL truth

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In Racine, school wasn't canceled despite the 18" of snow. Not even a 2 hour delay. But after school events were canceled, even though the snow has stopped and the roads have been cleared. Go figure. LOL

41898494ihicc_sm.png

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Not at my husband's work! We live just 2.5 miles away, so he could WALK if he had to... but some employees live way the hell out out in rural areas, and since there is NO salt and NO plows here, if it snows at all and then freezes over that night... work is CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not at my husband's work! We live just 2.5 miles away, so he could WALK if he had to... but some employees live way the hell out out in rural areas, and since there is NO salt and NO plows here, if it snows at all and then freezes over that night... work is CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

They're lucky. When I was working and had to drive to and from Milwaukee, I was lucky if we got let out when a blizzard was on. About 9 years ago, we had a total of 100 inches of snow in one winter, with several feet that dropped on one day. The drifts out our side door were well over 5 feet high and we had to use the front door so we could shovel the back door and let the dogs out. They still expected me at work that day. I called in sick. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They're lucky. When I was working and had to drive to and from Milwaukee, I was lucky if we got let out when a blizzard was on. About 9 years ago, we had a total of 100 inches of snow in one winter, with several feet that dropped on one day. The drifts out our side door were well over 5 feet high and we had to use the front door so we could shovel the back door and let the dogs out. They still expected me at work that day. I called in sick. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Not really lucky. In Jan 2011, we had the biggest snow I've ever seen in GA; 8" where we lived, closer to a foot in some area. To add insult to injury, the next night, after that whopping mountain of snow had begun to partially melt, the temp dropped into the teens... and stayed below freezing for the next 3 days. Nobody went ANYWHERE for a solid week... including work. And his company refused to allow even those with vacation days to assign those vacation days to the forced snow days... so we lacked an entire week's wages. I still don't really know how we survived that, but it contributed to the DIRE financial problems we continued to suffer for 2011, including his work scaling everyone from 40 hrs a week to just 34.5, and no OT whatsoever, though we had previously depended on that OT. We were on the verge of declaring bankruptcy and becoming homeless... till I realized that if we declared bankruptcy, if would be 2 yrs before we could even CONSIDER the idea of buying even a foreclosed junker of a home. So we added up our debts, what it would take to bring my husband's credit score up high enough to qualify for a VA mortgage... and appealed to my parents on bended knee. They came thru, and gave us $6000 from their savings, and we made it all happen, going from signing a contract to closing in TWENTY NINE DAYS, in Sept 2011. That's the closest I EVER want to be to homeless.

Andria

ETA: the home we bought in 2011 for $60k... now is assessed at $115k.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not really lucky. In Jan 2011, we had the biggest snow I've ever seen in GA; 8" where we lived, closer to a foot in some area. To add insult to injury, the next night, after that whopping mountain of snow had begun to partially melt, the temp dropped into the teens... and stayed below freezing for the next 3 days. Nobody went ANYWHERE for a solid week... including work. And his company refused to allow even those with vacation days to assign those vacation days to the forced snow days... so we lacked an entire week's wages. I still don't really know how we survived that, but it contributed to the DIRE financial problems we continued to suffer for 2011, including his work scaling everyone from 40 hrs a week to just 34.5, and no OT whatsoever, though we had previously depended on that OT. We were on the verge of declaring bankruptcy and becoming homeless... till I realized that if we declared bankruptcy, if would be 2 yrs before we could even CONSIDER the idea of buying even a foreclosed junker of a home. So we added up our debts, what it would take to bring my husband's credit score up high enough to qualify for a VA mortgage... and appealed to my parents on bended knee. They came thru, and gave us $6000 from their savings, and we made it all happen, going from signing a contract to closing in TWENTY NINE DAYS, in Sept 2011. That's the closest I EVER want to be to homeless.

Andria

ETA: the home we bought in 2011 for $60k... now is assessed at $115k.

Man, that seriously sucks ass. I know employers have worries of their own but not to take their workers into account as well is terrible. Up here, a large sausage factory burned down a couple of years ago and the owners continued to pay their employees until it was rebuilt. THAT leads to very, very loyal employees. So many people don't understand that people don't usually quit jobs, they quit employers/managers/supervisors/etc. My husband is lucky to work for an employer that allows him to work flexible hours (as long as he gets all of his hours in), has their own medical, dental and pharmacy facilities and really good medical coverage. They're very family friendly. When he's had to take time off to take care of me or my mother-in-law, he's never had a problem with it. That's why he doesn't mind the commute - the employer is worth it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Man, that seriously sucks ass. I know employers have worries of their own but not to take their workers into account as well is terrible. Up here, a large sausage factory burned down a couple of years ago and the owners continued to pay their employees until it was rebuilt. THAT leads to very, very loyal employees. So many people don't understand that people don't usually quit jobs, they quit employers/managers/supervisors/etc. My husband is lucky to work for an employer that allows him to work flexible hours (as long as he gets all of his hours in), has their own medical, dental and pharmacy facilities and really good medical coverage. They're very family friendly. When he's had to take time off to take care of me or my mother-in-law, he's never had a problem with it. That's why he doesn't mind the commute - the employer is worth it.

Well, his company had previously fired all the "dead wood", so instead of laying anyone off, they just put everyone on short hours -- and the owners took no pay for themselves during the whole year. In early 2012, he got his 40 hrs back, and shortly after that, also got back his 7.5 hrs/wkly OT, and then shortly after that, there was a company-wide raise in pay. In 2014, there were 2 more company-wide raises, and then my husband got a THIRD raise. Combined with my quitting smoking in 2014, which amounted to another $200/mo raise. :D Well, maybe $100/mo, since I needed to invest in vapey things for a while. But it's now been more than 2 yrs since any of those raises, so we're hopeful that they might give another, in 2017.

Andria

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only in WI...I went to Menards and bought 60 more flat concrete edgers for my vegetable garden plan. I had to get the guy on the forklift to sift thru the snow bank with his forklift. I couldn't find a dry spot outside so they ended up in the garage. I bought 40 on Sunday.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You guys got hit! I was invited to a March somewhere in Racine but declined since I'm not to familiar with the area.

I wouldn't recommend it. There's not much to do here. :zombie: We're right on the lake so we get a LOT of lake effect snow. My house is about a mile from the lake.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The snow day turned out to be a good time at chez skt. One of my neighbors plowed the driveway, I got to do some sledding with the kid and then watched home alone, played board games by the fire. All in all, a good snow day.

Edit to add - I forgot to mention the best part.. Making a snowman then shooting it with a shotgun. #countrylivin

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just wanted to comment on the TRUTH. Couldn't think of a better place.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

- Winston Churchill

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just wanted to comment on the TRUTH. Couldn't think of a better place.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

- Winston Churchill

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

That's exactly why I've tried very hard to remain positive, on the vaping politics situation... because the Truth remains the Truth, no matter what anyone says about it. Lies can be disproved. The Truth cannot. And karma's a real bad bitch. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Its fun to watch too!:popcorn:

:giggle: Seriously... Since I started learning about karma, I've had to work really hard on learning to step back, and let the universe exert its own balance. I always pray simply: "when that person gets what they've earned... please let me see it." Sometimes I get lucky. :D Sometimes I simply have to trust that karma WILL bring their chickens home to roost, whether I ever know about it or not.

Andria

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
:giggle: Seriously... Since I started learning about karma, I've had to work really hard on learning to step back, and let the universe exert its own balance. I always pray simply: "when that person gets what they've earned... please let me see it." Sometimes I get lucky. :D Sometimes I simply have to trust that karma WILL bring their chickens home to roost, whether I ever know about it or not.

Andria
6cbfa740d96dc3526fa7302dbf07549f.jpg

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
6cbfa740d96dc3526fa7302dbf07549f.jpg

-William Cowper

Yes, that's pretty much exactly how I try to live.

And BTW... a possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe. ;) You only need an apostrophe for that word when it's a contraction. Like that. :D

Andria

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, that's pretty much exactly how I try to live.

And BTW... a possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe. ;) You only need an apostrophe for that word when it's a contraction. Like that. :D

Andria
Lol, well take that up with William Cowper because its his quote.

Did I do that right? Lmao.

-William Cowper

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol, well take that up with William Cowper because its his quote.

Did I do that right? Lmao.

-William Cowper

Nope, it's precisely bass ackward. Your contraction needs an apostrophe. His possessive does not. Even if he was ignorant enough to put one there. It's (see, that's a contraction) a hard one, I know, because most possessives DO need apostrophes. "Its" is that fine English thing called an exception, of which English has SOOOOOOOOO many. But if you don't believe me, look it up.

Andria

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nope, it's precisely bass ackward. Your contraction needs an apostrophe. His possessive does not. Even if he was ignorant enough to put one there. It's (see, that's a contraction) a hard one, I know, because most possessives DO need apostrophes. "Its" is that fine English thing called an exception, of which English has SOOOOOOOOO many. But if you don't believe me, look it up.

Andria
Lol, tbh I don't care enough to look it up. I'd rather jus be a grammar ignoramus. Lol.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.

-William Cowper

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol, tbh I don't care enough to look it up. I'd rather jus be a grammar ignoramus. Lol.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.

-William Cowper

At least you fixed it. :giggle: It's been driving me batty, every time I see it. I know, short trip. :D

And I was thinking about it more... actually I was wrong when I said "most possessives do need apostrophes". Actually, only proper nouns need them: "Andria's nitpickery", "Cowper's ignorance", etc. :D Possessive pronouns do not take them -- his, hers, its, ours, theirs.

It's just one of those internet things that drives me right around the bend, along with there/their/they're, your/you're, to/too/two, discreet/discrete. And that last one is not confined to the internet; I even see it in fucking BOOKS! You'd think anyone capable of writing a book would either know the difference, or at least have an editor who knows the difference. :facepalm:

Andria

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

All the problems that people have with there/their/they're, makes me wonder how many dropped out of school... in 4th grade. And how they got away with it without their parents being put in jail.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In Siberia (or anyplace else above the Arctic Circle), in the summer, the sun never truly goes "down"... so even though the summers are short, they're probably pretty nice.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nor here either...It has snowed more often in frigging Florida than it has here...Fuck me running.:mad::mad::mad:
I guess I could always take a trip up to the Sierra's.Or Mount Lassen

Or Racine, if you want to be bored to death as you look at the snow. :teehee:

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's about this time of year I completely forget that winter is a thing in others places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors