Become a Patron!

the opinion of a seasoned professional is needed.

Okay, so i'm fairly new to the whole vaping thing. I got my first pen a few months back for $16 at a gas station, needless to say, you get what you pay for. It broke shortly after and i didn't think it was worth fixing or replacing. Shortly after, i ponied up some cash and bought a used Kamry k101 telescopic mod off a friend. I'm still using it to this day and i'm pretty happy with it. I just bought a Starre Freemax tank for it and i absolutely love it, easily the smoothest drag ive ever taken. The only problem is that it feels like my mod isn't putting out enough power for it and my "clouds" are really thin and whispy, even when i take long drags. I wanted to upgrade to a box mod, but i dont know where to look or what to look for. All i know is that i like wood mods, i like simplicity, and i have a limited budget. Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Much Thanks,
Austin.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Austin and welcome to VU, there are several you can read up on for entry level mods , newest ones are also coming with temp controll which is a "read up on" of it's own, Eleaf Isticks, Sigelei's, so many to mention. Maybe take a look in our VV section to see the latest chatter and latest models and prices the members are talking about,:)
Good luck and enjoy!!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The freemax starre tank is a high wattage tank..in general anything short of producing at least 60w is not going to give you any sort of performance from it.

You simply have the wrong tank fir your power source...Either replace the tank with something that requires much less power or replace your mod.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For about $36 you can get a Sigelei Mini and another $8 will get the battery for it.

Well built and will outlast quite a few of the ones with a built in battery.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sigelei 100w or 150w for the win

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The starre tank is intended for at least 60w or higher of power...its not a low wattage friendly tank.

The k100 seems to use a smaller style battery from what i can see so i would venture to say youre not producing enough power to fire the starre as it uses a .2 ohm coil.

You need a better device capable of a minimum of 75 watts to fire that tank the way it was meant to be used but 100w or more is what will make it shine.

In all honesty however im sure the starre tank is not a wise step up from what you had before..Perhaps a nautilus is a better suggestion with a 30w device like the sigelei 30w.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The starre tank is intended for at least 60w or higher of power...its not a low wattage friendly tank.

The k100 seems to use a smaller style battery from what i can see so i would venture to say youre not producing enough power to fire the starre as it uses a .2 ohm coil.

You need a better device capable of a minimum of 75 watts to fire that tank the way it was meant to be used but 100w or more is what will make it shine.

In all honesty however im sure the starre tank is not a wise step up from what you had before..Perhaps a nautilus is a better suggestion with a 30w device like the sigelei 30w.

Or better yet a Kanger subtank mini with the RBA deck :) Those run perfectly between 20-30 watts, and are streets ahead of a Nautilus imo!

i appreciate all the advice, however, im just looking for a wood box mod recommendation. I'm aware that my tank is inappropriate for my mod.
also, i looked into the cherry bomber clone mods, but i hear that they can be problematic. Is this true?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, so i'm fairly new to the whole vaping thing. I got my first pen a few months back for $16 at a gas station, needless to say, you get what you pay for. It broke shortly after and i didn't think it was worth fixing or replacing. Shortly after, i ponied up some cash and bought a used Kamry k101 telescopic mod off a friend. I'm still using it to this day and i'm pretty happy with it. I just bought a Starre Freemax tank for it and i absolutely love it, easily the smoothest drag ive ever taken. The only problem is that it feels like my mod isn't putting out enough power for it and my "clouds" are really thin and whispy, even when i take long drags. I wanted to upgrade to a box mod, but i dont know where to look or what to look for. All i know is that i like wood mods, i like simplicity, and i have a limited budget. Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Much Thanks,
Austin.
What battery are you utilizing in your mod? Ideally, you want to use a 18650 IMR battery (e.g. Samsung 25R). With a 0.25 Ohm coil you'd get about 54W power out of the K101. However, the battery's power only lasts for about 10 Minutes or 120 puffs, and you'd have to recharge.

What battery are you utilizing in your mod? Ideally, you want to use a 18650 IMR battery (e.g. Samsung 25R). With a 0.25 Ohm coil you'd get about 54W power out of the K101. However, the battery's power only lasts for about 10 Minutes or 120 puffs, and you'd have to recharge.
Thats actually exactly what im using lol

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I happen to have a K101, that I just used for testing with a RDA that has a dual 22g coil @ 0.20Ohm. It fires perfectly. Therefore, I assume that there's something wrong with the coil, worse case the tank itself.

One2Sicc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i appreciate all the advice, however, im just looking for a wood box mod recommendation. I'm aware that my tank is inappropriate for my mod.
also, i looked into the cherry bomber clone mods, but i hear that they can be problematic. Is this true?

You should look into getting an 18650 mod, or a Hammond box mod with dual 18650s if you're not ready to make the leap into higher priced regulated, VV, VW, Temp control mods.

VU Sponsors