Become a Patron!

The Official Alien Coil Thread

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I tried doing it with 6 inches and found it alot easier. But made 1 mistake right in the middle, of course, so ruined it all. I do have 1 question, how long is your decore if you want to wrap 6 inches. I'm finding if i Clapton 12 inches then i end up wasting quite a bit. I know there's a ratio to work from but u can't remember it. Thanks.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried doing it with 6 inches and found it alot easier. But made 1 mistake right in the middle, of course, so ruined it all. I do have 1 question, how long is your decore if you want to wrap 6 inches. I'm finding if i Clapton 12 inches then i end up wasting quite a bit. I know there's a ratio to work from but u can't remember it. Thanks.

If I’m not claptoning straight off the spool, I have a mark on my spool of 36ga...then I grab the loose end of 36ga and pull off the spool until I’ve passed that mark 6 times, then I grab the wire closer to the spool again and do the same 6-7 rotations, so, I basically end up making 12-13 rotations of the spool and then clip it off. Then I take that 36ga and Clapton it around a single strand of 26ga. I don’t recall measuring out how long the decore is before or after stretching...gonna check my archive of photos and see if I have one with some type of point of reference...
Can’t seem to find anything that would give an exact idea, but here are a few pics of various build sessions during different points in the prep work
87927a590e7113f04bc707e60ccd9bf9.jpg
9f132408a06b3b8e8b3c65cd74b96dea.jpg
9a72b884a42225f9a238ccee3c37fdad.jpg
f0e3c5eef6ad05b723e27d88de8b24f3.jpg
d250cd1ead112c80357f329befff7b9b.jpg
d42eaaa22cc769407572bc35d224ac25.jpg

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Wow, that's alot of prep work. At least it's good to see i have all the same tools as you! I think I've bought every type of mini pliers on the market. I think i remember someone saying you should Clapton 12 inches for an 8 inch wrap. So an extra 30%. I could be wrong but I'll try it and let you know. I'm still under stretching my wrap wire so still too much tension. That's my fatal flaw atm. Scared of over stretching. Anyway, I've got plenty of wire so I'll practice some more. I think I've been given all the tips possible, it's up to me now.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, that's alot of prep work. At least it's good to see i have all the same tools as you! I think I've bought every type of mini pliers on the market. I think i remember someone saying you should Clapton 12 inches for an 8 inch wrap. So an extra 30%. I could be wrong but I'll try it and let you know. I'm still under stretching my wrap wire so still too much tension. That's my fatal flaw atm. Scared of over stretching. Anyway, I've got plenty of wire so I'll practice some more. I think I've been given all the tips possible, it's up to me now.

Lol, yeah...I get bored easily and prep work is actually kind of fun for me if not therapeutic...keeps me busy and occupied and end up with a shit-ton of Coils that most wont see the light of day, so, I find someone and donate a bunch to and start the process over again. I figure these forums are the reason I’m able to do what I can do...the least I could do is give back in some shape form or fashion...
65cf02b7bcfe22c84ad225d1b6df650f.jpg
6a6b2181b3c567b2eb84a543a1005add.jpg
715de50941339810cf60037c02569bf2.jpg
bb28430a2cca3914cdd6fbc017b8b6e2.jpg
13ba783594afac924a8c07feb92c6aa2.jpg
f9c05d42352bfb93a674c6ffd0eebe3a.jpg
fb25bd9dc8592cb9347f6e990cd8979d.jpg
4c1ca6061d762397694ad60c5505f5d9.jpg

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to people on here, to stores maybe?

Nah...would hate to turn something I absolutely love doing into a job where I’d have quotas and having to keep certain amounts of different stocks in and so on and so forth.
Typically I just give them out to friends around here locally or send them to folks from these forums that either don’t have the time to build them, want to try them but don’t know how to make them, or the price range for purchasing them is holding them back.
Though I have used a barter system a time or two for getting some DIY juice from the grandmaster of flavor-town @Mykreign for some Alien Coils and @Wtmke1 was kind enough to throw me a little cash (that he didn’t have to do) for some Alien Coils that went straight to buying another spool of wire to make more coils, lol.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Fair enough. Where i live in Australia there's only 1,or 2 people that sell hand made coils. And aliens sell for around $20 us per pair. I just want the satisfaction of Vaping on my own aliens. I like my fused Claptons but aliens are so much better. I'm pretty sure that with a bit more practice I'll be able to. Speaking of which, I'll give it another go now.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fair enough. Where i live in Australia there's only 1,or 2 people that sell hand made coils. And aliens sell for around $20 us per pair. I just want the satisfaction of Vaping on my own aliens. I like my fused Claptons but aliens are so much better. I'm pretty sure that with a bit more practice I'll be able to. Speaking of which, I'll give it another go now.

Good luck! Be sure to post what you come up with, regardless of how they turn out...sometimes it’s easier to see where things went wrong to give advice on how to fix it...hell, I still have a few of my first tries at Aliens just to keep me humble...
49e5080ebd8bab0ba99c1ae30eefe881.jpg
955b9462b825fec840f64440d6bb90ea.jpg
884fdb9975fde708904c227625c761f0.jpg
74fbaacdc863c1a368fd216c299bc28b.jpg
bb00219b802e7d14c71614ab295a414f.jpg

Oh, and as weird as this may sound and seem like a no-brainer...make sure to breathe regularly or at least on some pattern. From experience and hearing from other people, when you’re spinning out what looks to be the perfect Coil, I’ll bet good money that you start holding your breath...which is all well and good if you can finish the stick while holding your breath, but if you end up needing to take a breath after holding it...that’s more than likely the spot on the wire that you’ll jack up.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Ha, i noticed that. Had to try and keep my breathing regular. I was so stoked it was working. Seems 9 inches of decore isn't enough for 6 inches of wrapping. It was close, maybe 10 will do it. I've got enough for a coil though. I tried taking a pic with my phone but it must be shit, won't do the type of close ups you can do. I'll wrap it and put it on an rda, see if that helps.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha, i noticed that. Had to try and keep my breathing regular. I was so stoked it was working. Seems 9 inches of decore isn't enough for 6 inches of wrapping. It was close, maybe 10 will do it. I've got enough for a coil though. I tried taking a pic with my phone but it must be shit, won't do the type of close ups you can do. I'll wrap it and put it on an rda, see if that helps.

Oh, I don’t use any special camera lens on my phone or anything...I just get as close as I can without it getting blurry at all and snap that pic and then open the pic and zoom in on it and then take a screen shot...I call it the poor man zoom shot

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I'll give it a try, in the meantime, do you know if this is a genuine v3 hog? I have the option to buy it for 1 third it's cost. Seems too good to be true. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-04-14-48-39-29.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-04-14-48-39-29.png
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2018-04-04-14-48-34-54.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-04-14-48-34-54.png
    1 MB · Views: 19

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll give it a try, in the meantime, do you know if this is a genuine v3 hog? I have the option to buy it for 1 third it's cost. Seems too good to be true. Thanks.
i cant tell you if its authentic, but its not a v3. the v3 has no volt meter and the button doesnt stick out.

congrats on hitting aliens btw :cheers: as for your decore length, i find about 40% extra length to your finished wire is ok. i add an inch or so extra usually to compensate for a bit of waste (the part attached to the drill etc).

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Yeah i just figured about 40% too. Your sure about that with the hog? I don't know much about the voltmeter model but he's saying its a 3.hmmm. I'll look into it. Thanks.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah i just figured about 40% too. Your sure about that with the hog? I don't know much about the voltmeter model but he's saying its a 3.hmmm. I'll look into it. Thanks.
yup thats a v2. i have a v3 and a 3.1, but i have never seen or held a v2, so no idea how to tell if its authentic.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nah...would hate to turn something I absolutely love doing into a job where I’d have quotas and having to keep certain amounts of different stocks in and so on and so forth.
Typically I just give them out to friends around here locally or send them to folks from these forums that either don’t have the time to build them, want to try them but don’t know how to make them, or the price range for purchasing them is holding them back.
Though I have used a barter system a time or two for getting some DIY juice from the grandmaster of flavor-town @Mykreign for some Alien Coils and @Wtmke1 was kind enough to throw me a little cash (that he didn’t have to do) for some Alien Coils that went straight to buying another spool of wire to make more coils, lol.

I love the aliens man. And I definitely don't mind paying for quality work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I read they have a serial number behind the battery sticker so I'll check but there are a few other give aways. I'll be careful.
The v2 is not a true mech because of the volt meter part... eventually the part will break. Just another something to be aware of before deciding what to buy, and I also don't like the protruding button on the v2.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hey, I've been making my decores out of 40ni80 but i also have some 36g kanthal. I wanted 36g ni80 but the store had sold out. Anyway, is there anything wrong with the kanthal? Or any reason to use the ni80 instead of kanthal i should have said. Thanks.
Nope you can use any wire you'd like. The 36g will be a lot easier to wrap as well and I find kanthal is an easier wire to work with also. But I dont like to vape kanthal so I rarely get to wrap with it . Most people use ni80 for the color but there's really no reason you can't use any wire you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey, I've been making my decores out of 40ni80 but i also have some 36g kanthal. I wanted 36g ni80 but the store had sold out. Anyway, is there anything wrong with the kanthal? Or any reason to use the ni80 instead of kanthal i should have said. Thanks.

To adjust the ramp up times and the kinds of crispness I get from the flavors, I’ll once in a blue moon make hybrid aliens...such as SS316L (Stainless) cores and N80 decore or N80 Cores with SS316L (Stainless) decore. I for one can’t stand vaping Kanthal...at first I didn’t mind, but once I switched to N80, I can practically taste the metallic nature of the iron in Kanthal...but short answer, you can build with any wire alloy you want and you don’t even have to use the same alloy throughout 1 Coil...you can mix and match to find your preference.
If you want a cooler vape, then Kanthal ramps up slower than the other alloys and is your best bet...N80 and SS316L ramp up faster and can give you the gnarly colors...if Kanthal ramps up too slow for you but n80 is too fast and gets too hot...use Kanthal cores and SS316L or N80 wrap....it’s all your personal preference...beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

In this case I think all that matters is the gauge you want to use :). Congrats on making your first aliens by the way, that's awesome

P.S. it doesn't matter to anyone else but nickel gives me a sore throat so I only use kanthal, but that doesn't seem to be common

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I'll try both and see how I go. I need the practice anyway. And thanks, I think all the problems I was having was down to not stretching my decore enough. It was making me apply too much tension which was in turn bunching up the wires. I was just scared of over stretching and wasting the wire. I know better now. And I appreciate all the help you've all given. 1 day I'll be able to help others too. Hopefully! Still a long way to go but at least I can now see progress!

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I know this has nothing to do with aliens but here goes, I put some fused Claptons, ni80, in rda last night and they're making a strange soft popping sound. Sounds like I'm taking a hit from a xxxx! And this is on a parralel mech. Weird! Any ideas? Do they just need breaking in?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know this has nothing to do with aliens but here goes, I put some fused Claptons, ni80, in rda last night and they're making a strange soft popping sound. Sounds like I'm taking a hit from a xxxx! And this is on a parralel mech. Weird! Any ideas? Do they just need breaking in?

Possibly not enough wick in the coil. If there’s a gap of empty space between your cotton and the inside of the coil it could cause some popping and spitting.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
It's weird, it's not spitting and it's not even popping the way I've experienced it before. It's a great vape, just odd. I'll see how it goes over a couple of days. I don't really want to rewick it just because it doesn't need it. Working really well. I'll do it in a couple of days and compare. Thanks.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Another quick question, if you make a small mistake while wrapping your cores, and I do mean small, is it still usable? I wrapped it and put it in an rda and it seems to be working fine, no hot spots etc. Maybe won't last as long? Thanks guys. And gals.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another quick question, if you make a small mistake while wrapping your cores, and I do mean small, is it still usable? I wrapped it and put it in an rda and it seems to be working fine, no hot spots etc. Maybe won't last as long? Thanks guys. And gals.

As long as it’s not causing a Short by touching any of the metal on the posts or deck, you should be fine.
If you worked out the hot spots and they’re glowing in unison from the inside out, you should be good to go.
If at any point you start hearing hissing immediately after hitting the fire button, you’ve got a short or a hot spot that needs attention...meaning you can pull the wick out, loosen your post screws and tighten them back down, and re-work out the short or hotspot issue and rewick or just swap them out if you have spares.
If it happens again within the next day or so after having “fixed” it...I’d toss them if I were you just for safety reasons and I wouldn’t want to be stuck out somewhere without being able to vape.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
OK, I'll keep an eye out for that. And your right, I don't need problems when I'm away from home cos I only carry batteries and juice. Maybe I'll keep it separate from other aliens and when I have more I'll chuck it. Not worth the Agro. Thanks again.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 108013
View attachment 108014

These aren't new, I just felt like posting pictures

I was in that kind of mood earlier. I’ve got 100+ N80 Aliens laying around and was considering getting a bunch of my mods and RDA’s out just to practice throwing some color on them and snapping a bunch of pics. I’ve got some sticks not coiled up yet that I was thinking of wrapping in parallel with a strand of SS316L and seeing what kinds of different colorations I can get out of it...might just have to do that now...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I thought that might be the case. I think I'll stick with the ni80. I prefe the taste too.
With Kanthal in your coil build (any coil build, not just aliens) you have to dry fire a lot before you start to use your newly built coils. Doing this for several many minutes makes the metallic undertaste go away for good, but whilst doing this you have to be careful to not overheat your atomizer (and mod) so it takes more patience... rubbing two drops of water along the outside of the build deck and repeatedly blowing on the coils really helps in addition to patience.

Personally I always prefer Ni80 for my wrap wire. SS316L wears out way too fast IMO, and, it increases the ramp up time when compared to Ni80, whereas Kanthal increases the ramp up time even much further still. You could try and compensate by using higher gauge wrap wire so there will be less metal to heat up. But in the end, Ni80 wrap wire still always performs best for me, and does so in each and every way.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I'm so jealous of both of you! Iknocked out my 2nd alien, the 1 with a tiny imperfection. For some reason it decided to overlap - once! Then went back to normal. That's got to be me not holding the decore in correct position? A few degrees towards swivel if I'm not mistaken?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm so jealous of both of you! Iknocked out my 2nd alien, the 1 with a tiny imperfection. For some reason it decided to overlap - once! Then went back to normal. That's got to be me not holding the decore in correct position? A few degrees towards swivel if I'm not mistaken?
A little bit more towards the swivel usually helps if it starts to overlap, but if you move it too far, then you'll end up with spacings. The faster you go on the drill, the easier it becomes to keep the angle in check (it is counter-intuitive, but it is very much true nonetheless). Remember your stretch in your decore has to look like 90 degree angles after you remove the tension... it's easier to see if you hold a white piece of paper behind it. The correct amount of stretch allows you to hold the wrap with virtually no tension on it as you start aliening, just letting it glide smoothly through your fingers like sand.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I realised my mistake as soon as I'd made it, luckily, so it's still usable. Sort of. I didn't know about the 90 degrees on the wrap, I just judge it by looking at it. I'll keep that in mind when stretching. I know what everyone means when they say you need no tension and how it just runs on by itself. Strange how it does it all by itself. I'm going to try another 1 now. I'll try take a pic if successful. Actually, think positive, it will be a success!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I realised my mistake as soon as I'd made it, luckily, so it's still usable. Sort of. I didn't know about the 90 degrees on the wrap, I just judge it by looking at it. I'll keep that in mind when stretching. I know what everyone means when they say you need no tension and how it just runs on by itself. Strange how it does it all by itself. I'm going to try another 1 now. I'll try take a pic if successful. Actually, think positive, it will be a success!
Another common mistake is to look at the 90 degree angles without first releasing the tension of the stretch... it contracts back again somewhat after you release the tension on it.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the tiny imperfections can be carried over from your decore claptons. keeping equal tension and angle for the whole length of decore will usually stop those little blips and bloops in the alien wrap.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hey, which would you rate higher, the x1 or the vcm mech? Sorry to go off topic but I have the option to buy 1 of either cheap right now. X1 comes with matching rda and only costs $10 more.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Apologies for posting that Mge in this section, i was hoping to get an informed opinion. I'll research them.

Guyando115

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Back to coils, i tested my build on my coilmaster 521 mini tab a couple of days ago and it came in at .1ohms. Today, it's reading .14. Is this normal? Do i need a better ohm reader? Oh and that's all ni80 too. Again, thanks for any input.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hey, which would you rate higher, the x1 or the vcm mech? Sorry to go off topic but I have the option to buy 1 of either cheap right now. X1 comes with matching rda and only costs $10 more.
The X1. It's a fantastic mech, and the X1 (and X2) RDAs are phenomenal!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I have an X1 and it has a very stiff button throw
You could replace the spring with a lighter one I suppose, but otherwise it was designed for the Hulk, or maybe She-Hulk

I'll sell you my blue chrome one with matching RDA lol :teehee:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Back to coils, i tested my build on my coilmaster 521 mini tab a couple of days ago and it came in at .1ohms. Today, it's reading .14. Is this normal? Do i need a better ohm reader? Oh and that's all ni80 too. Again, thanks for any input.

Most coils with lots of metal will go up a bit in resistance after being dry heated, that's normal, more resistance after you oxidise it to get out those hot spots

VU Sponsors