Become a Patron!

The Official Alien Coil Thread

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sometimes spitting can happen if you're not giving the coils enough heat. Also when you rewick it can help to strum the wire while the cotton is in there as the act of wicking can, in some cases, cause hotspots to reappear. I'd say give those both a go first and see if it changes anything, if not I'm a little stumped

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sometimes spitting can happen if you're not giving the coils enough heat. Also when you rewick it can help to strum the wire while the cotton is in there as the act of wicking can, in some cases, cause hotspots to reappear. I'd say give those both a go first and see if it changes anything, if not I'm a little stumped

Ohhhh totally! Yeah I probably went overboard with using more cotton, and it probably mashed the wires together, good call. I'll rewick with less then strum, or pull them apart if I need to.

Thanks!

Edit: It worked @KarmicRage no problems after I spread the wraps out just a hair! Back to a super nice vape

Last edited:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I turned the one 3x28/36 coil I made last week into two, now it's spitting like crazy at me even at lower wattage.

There are no hot spots, and I've rewicked with So Much cotton there is actually muted flavor, and I could barely squeeze it in there, but still spits at me! My juice is at least 85% VG... I think I ruined my alien wire somehow? Anyone know? These coils should be great at 80-100 watts, but it spits painfully even at 60 watts if the cotton is anything but almost dry :(
Are you maybe over dripping? Or flooded? Don't confuse spitting as popping. Popping is a sign your probably running at lower wattage then your need

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ohhhh totally! Yeah I probably went overboard with using more cotton, and it probably mashed the wires together, good call. I'll rewick with less then strum, or pull them apart if I need to.

Thanks!

Edit: It worked @KarmicRage no problems after I spread the wraps out just a hair! Back to a super nice vape
Glad to hear it. I intentionally wick pretty hard. If those type of problems happen I will take tweezers it when wicking hold one side of the coil as to not warp it but allow a very small space so that they kind of breath. Popping can happen in between your cores. Just natural for some amount

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Question!

Please guide me on durable coils (long lasting after dry burning)

- I THINK it's because of my wire quality, but aliens I made just a couple weeks ago are already a weird brown color after a few dry burns. Now, the wrap wire is 36, and I've got these twisted coils wrapped (clapton) in 38 that are Still gray, and look pretty much new, after Months... Why? Does decoring and rewrapping into alien wrap degrade a wire and lower it's lifespan? Ought I not dry burn it as hot as I would regular claptons?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What type of wire? Sounds like a different composition like

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What type of wire? Sounds like a different composition like

Sorry, all kanthal!

I've never seen kanthal coils turn brown...after 2-3 years building, 2 years or more with claptons, never brown :/ but never had Aliens before, either. I'm not too upset about having to build some more aliens haha, but wondering if I can change something to make them vape great but last longer than these... How long do y'alls aliens last?
@ScReWbALL @KingPin! @mach1ne @CrazyChef v2.0 @KarmicRage

Last edited:

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm still in the process of building, vaping a while then just chucking the coil and installing another. Coils don't last more than a few weeks with me haha. They're probably still usable. I've seen that brown sort of colouring, almost like copper after being used a while. I'm using stainless most of the time though so I don't know what it'd be for Kanthal. I never thought anything of it myself, vape didn't taste any different

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i dont know either. i usually end up wicking and vaping my coils when they still have some color left on them, that goes away after a day or so and they are just silver/grey like normal until my juice starts to get to them.

are you running the different wires/builds at similar power levels? maybe its just that your aliens are pulling more power than your previous builds and thats speeding up the degradation process? thats hard to imagine though since i have coils that last months and months at high power...

How long do y'alls aliens last?
here is a pair i made last april that i am still using right now. this tank has been in my rotation almost daily since i did this build...only getting a bit of a break in the last two months. i hit these with over 200w on a hammer of god and i vape juice like pancake man and jam monster on them (sweetener apocalypse). how do they look compared to yours? these are likely n80 or 316 wrap wire mind you...
Capture.JPG

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i dont know either. i usually end up wicking and vaping my coils when they still have some color left on them, that goes away after a day or so and they are just silver/grey like normal until my juice starts to get to them.

are you running the different wires/builds at similar power levels? maybe its just that your aliens are pulling more power than your previous builds and thats speeding up the degradation process? thats hard to imagine though since i have coils that last months and months at high power...

here is a pair i made last april that i am still using right now. this tank has been in my rotation almost daily since i did this build...only getting a bit of a break in the last two months. i hit these with over 200w on a hammer of god and i vape juice like pancake man and jam monster on them (sweetener apocalypse). how do they look compared to yours? these are likely n80 or 316 wrap wire mind you...
View attachment 102108

Edit: I was about asleep last night when I replied. Mine do still work, the color is just darker than I like. I bet part of it is when I was vaping it with hot spots last week, that probably messed it up some

Last edited:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, all kanthal!

I've never seen kanthal coils turn brown...after 2-3 years building, 2 years or more with claptons, never brown :/ but never had Aliens before, either. I'm not too upset about having to build some more aliens haha, but wondering if I can change something to make them vape great but last longer than these... How long do y'alls aliens last?
@ScReWbALL @KingPin! @mach1ne @CrazyChef v2.0 @KarmicRage

Sorry, a bit late to the conversation. I haven’t used Kanthal in a long while, so, I’m not sure how long Kanthal Aliens last. I had a problem with SS316L turning reddish/copper after a very short time...looked very similar to your pic. I’ve yet have any of my N80 Aliens turn red or brown, but when I rewick, I check for and fix hot spots that may have come up and if I’m not careful, I burn them for too long too hot (drawback of using a mech and not being able to control the power) and they get very dull gray and take forever to glow, so, I toss them. I’ve had the set I’m using now for about a week and that’s the longest I’ve kept a coil going in a looooong time.
Did you use a different juice by chance that may have been a bit more acidic or sugary and accelerated the corrosion of the metal? Or maybe dry fired too hot or even possibly auto fired without your knowledge and it cut off? Otherwise, I’m clueless, cuz I’m addicted to my N80.
7fdb580f6d3a5f4a4cab9b9f8fc8e143.jpg

These are my SS316L Aliens after they discolored...of course they’re wet and look different, but dry, they looked just like yours.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry, a bit late to the conversation. I haven’t used Kanthal in a long while, so, I’m not sure how long Kanthal Aliens last. I had a problem with SS316L turning reddish/copper after a very short time...looked very similar to your pic. I’ve yet have any of my N80 Aliens turn red or brown, but when I rewick, I check for and fix hot spots that may have come up and if I’m not careful, I burn them for too long too hot (drawback of using a mech and not being able to control the power) and they get very dull gray and take forever to glow, so, I toss them. I’ve had the set I’m using now for about a week and that’s the longest I’ve kept a coil going in a looooong time.
Did you use a different juice by chance that may have been a bit more acidic or sugary and accelerated the corrosion of the metal? Or maybe dry fired too hot or even possibly auto fired without your knowledge and it cut off? Otherwise, I’m clueless, cuz I’m addicted to my N80.
7fdb580f6d3a5f4a4cab9b9f8fc8e143.jpg

These are my SS316L Aliens after they discolored...of course they’re wet and look different, but dry, they looked just like yours.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Still using mine, just going an extra step when I clean them now, soapy toothbrush. They still work well, taste good, just seem to get black pretty fast; I've been playing around with their position in my Pyro, the Pyro is actually the only thing new here, the airflow is a bit odd so maybe my coils are too low, or too high, etc. I am noticing they get black on the top first, maybe that means too high? It's a side airflow RTA, with little ramps that would supposedly reach the underside of the opposite side's coil, but I'm not really seeing that happening

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm still in the process of building, vaping a while then just chucking the coil and installing another. Coils don't last more than a few weeks with me haha. They're probably still usable. I've seen that brown sort of colouring, almost like copper after being used a while. I'm using stainless most of the time though so I don't know what it'd be for Kanthal. I never thought anything of it myself, vape didn't taste any different

Kanthal oxidizes causing rust from the iron composition

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Someone said I should post this over here!

Alien Math!! It’s 3:1. So 3 30g would be 30g decore, for every 1 more you add you drop down 2 gauges. So 4 30g would be 28g decore and 5 would be 26g decore. This works with every gauge also flat wire as long as you replace 1 round wire with the equivalent amount of flat wire. 2 26g & 4 .4x.1 would be a 26g Decore. If u want to add only 2 more ribbon (which in this case would be half the width of a 26g) it would be 2 26g & 6 .4x.1 with a 25g decore.

Hope this helps!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Big, sharp scissors and a 45 degree angle are your friend in that situation :)

Ohhhh an angle, good idea!

Haha my decore keeps gettin caught on this hoodie on one of my chairs... I always forget to move the damn thing

Mine got caught in my Hair at the end of the fralien, I woulda been so mad if it had happened any earlier. I gotta quit standing up and leaning over like a crazy person, seems to work though so I keep doing it! I made regular 36awg aliens sitting down with the decore coming from over my shoulder, that don't work with mermaid hair wire

Edit: Actually, it might...

Last edited:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ohhhh an angle, good idea!

Mine got caught in my Hair at the end of the fralien, I woulda been so mad if it had happened any earlier. I gotta quit standing up and leaning over like a crazy person, seems to work though so I keep doing it! I made regular 36awg aliens sitting down with the decore coming from over my shoulder, that don't work with mermaid hair wire

Edit: Actually, it might...

Right after this conversation my decore got caught on my earring somehow.... thank god it was at the end and yanked off haha

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Right after this conversation my decore got caught on my earring somehow.... thank god it was at the end and yanked off haha

:eek:

Off topic, I used to have an industrial in my ear, lots of painful catches on it so I gave it up

On topic, I'm thinking about trying to alien 46awg tomorrow, and I am prepared this time to see my own hair on my clothes and freak out, thinking it's wire. I just about went nuts last week, IS IT HAIR OR WIRE

Glad wire isn't brown :eek: I'd end up trying to clapton my own hair. :blech:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Question!

Please guide me on durable coils (long lasting after dry burning)

- I THINK it's because of my wire quality, but aliens I made just a couple weeks ago are already a weird brown color after a few dry burns. Now, the wrap wire is 36, and I've got these twisted coils wrapped (clapton) in 38 that are Still gray, and look pretty much new, after Months... Why? Does decoring and rewrapping into alien wrap degrade a wire and lower it's lifespan? Ought I not dry burn it as hot as I would regular claptons?
Try rinsing them with sparkling water (carbonized water) instead of regular tap water when you dry burn, repeat this a few times. Do a final rinse with regular tap water after that, vigorously blow out the remaining drops, and gently pulse for a while to make everything dry up faster... don't wait too long after that so rewick fast or else the brown color will return. Using sparkling water to dry burn also helps to clear out the gunking from between the cores and wrap wire, and it does that not just for Kanthal, but Nichrome80 as well. I haven't given my coil brush any use at all anymore ever since I first discovered this. Coils that would normally last only a few weeks now typically last 2 whole months.

P.S., downside is it's been yet another reason for me to remain such a slacker at coil building. :p

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nothing special, just some baby fraliens. It’s my favorite vape so once I get a few more placed into my daily atomizers I’m going to start doing other builds.

4(.4x.1l)
2(26k)
35k alien.

Glow/Wick shots in the morning!
e50e2fd2a1dca80f62fee1e6cb4ebc75.jpg

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, next time I'll make sure my decore doesn't get mangled coming off a sharp edged core heh

I’ve posted this somewhere before, but can’t recall if it was this thread or not, but a trick I’ve found that works well for me in pulling off decore buttery smooth is taking a pair of pliers and laying the tip of the core into the groove of the teeth sideways meaning the teeth groove run parallel to the core wire
f82e75e20ef86e611da5cf5de9aa9dcd.jpg

And then gently closing the pliers, but loosely...not gripping in anyway whatsoever (you want the core wire to spin a bit in the groove) and giving the trigger a couple of soft squeezes as you slide the pliers away from the drill until you slide the pliers off the Core wire...this rounds out all sharp edges and even minutely tapers the end of that core wire
f0afd7e4efbe9b36b9c058400da21fe1.jpg

Granted, as with any other tips/tricks/advice that falls outta my mouth, keep in mind I’m not using a swivel setup, so, part of what makes this helpful for me is that I can reuse that same core wire repeatedly and spin off as many lengths of decore as my little heart desires...all with never having a snag and essentially being able to take the Core wire out of the drill and and holding it vertically and the decore just slides off perfectly just under its own weight. Also know that the thinner gauge decore wire you’re using, the less beneficial this technique is...anything up to 36ga is pretty much flawless, 38ga can be a bit hit or miss and 40ga and higher will typically still need a small amount of reversing the drill after completing the Clapton to allow it to break free of the core wire easily.

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I’ve posted this somewhere before, but can’t recall if it was this thread or not, but a trick I’ve found that works well for me in pulling off decore buttery smooth is taking a pair of pliers and laying the tip of the core into the groove of the teeth sideways meaning the teeth groove run parallel to the core wire

And then gently closing the pliers, but loosely...not gripping in anyway whatsoever (you want the core wire to spin a bit in the groove) and giving the trigger a couple of soft squeezes as you slide the pliers away from the drill until you slide the pliers off the Core wire...this rounds out all sharp edges and even minutely tapers the end of that core wire

Granted, as with any other tips/tricks/advice that falls outta my mouth, keep in mind I’m not using a swivel setup, so, part of what makes this helpful for me is that I can reuse that same core wire repeatedly and spin off as many lengths of decore as my little heart desires...all with never having a snag and essentially being able to take the Core wire out of the drill and and holding it vertically and the decore just slides off perfectly just under its own weight. Also know that the thinner gauge decore wire you’re using, the less beneficial this technique is...anything up to 36ga is pretty much flawless, 38ga can be a bit hit or miss and 40ga and higher will typically still need a small amount of reversing the drill after completing the Clapton to allow it to break free of the core wire easily.

Damn, I couldn’t imagine building without a swivel anymore!!

Any chance your the same screwball on alltheflavors?

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years

If you want clean cuts do yourself a favor and get a nice set of these. They cut wire clean. Oh and they're great for ribbon
10d423c0d67ef5d4a69c53b2a27b1623.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn, I couldn’t imagine building without a swivel anymore!!

Any chance your the same screwball on alltheflavors?

Nah, can’t say that I’ve ever been to alltheflavors before.
As for swivels, every now and then I’ll hook up a set and use it for a coil or two, but for the most part, freehanding is just more fun to me. I’ve got enough coils to last from now until the end of time, so I build for fun and to keep myself busy so that I can at least try to stay out of trouble, lol. Also, it’s just how I’ve always done it and I guess I subscribe to the notion of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Works well for me anyway
89b5c2a211b9e035e6ba79e87002b69b.jpg
8740ed5b4ab8a3995f0e5e47c508f6cb.jpg
0f7eddab120d3c72829614feebc0d3ee.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nah, can’t say that I’ve ever been to alltheflavors before.
As for swivels, every now and then I’ll hook up a set and use it for a coil or two, but for the most part, freehanding is just more fun to me. I’ve got enough coils to last from now until the end of time, so I build for fun and to keep myself busy so that I can at least try to stay out of trouble, lol. Also, it’s just how I’ve always done it and I guess I subscribe to the notion of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Works well for me anyway
89b5c2a211b9e035e6ba79e87002b69b.jpg
8740ed5b4ab8a3995f0e5e47c508f6cb.jpg
0f7eddab120d3c72829614feebc0d3ee.jpg

Really nice work man...

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Teeny weeny, half inch piece of 3x30/46, leftover decore, by jove I've got an idea of it now
View attachment 104936
I'm so glad I dont really like really high gauge wrap wire! Lol Beautiful job for sure but I just don't think I even want to try to alien anything over 38g. Personally I like using 34g and I think it last way longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors