Become a Patron!

The Kanger T2 - Retro Gold, or Just Old?

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kanger T2
pcb4QQ7.jpg

Design Specs from KangerTech:
Kanger T2 Cartomizers
Cartomizer: heating coil is replaceable
Capacity: 2.4ml 800puffs
Suitable voltage: 3.2 - 3.7V
Length: 73mm x Diameter: 15mm
Ego thread capable

I have to admit, when it comes to "The Latest And Greatest!", I'm a sucker. I always gravitate towards the new buzz, and when I started vaping, it was no different. I snagged a snazzy new iStick a week or two after they were released, and a Nautilus Mini with the coveted BVC coils. But my vaping needs required that I had multiple tanks, and shelling out cash for several high end Aspire clearomizers was not an option right away. Call it smoker's wallet. When you come off of analogue, you tend to have far less cash laying around than you will a month after quitting.

So I started to quest for that perfect clearomizer - the cheap kind that worked well and required little maintenance and even cheaper atomizer heads. A very difficult task, because almost everything on the market has some kind of problems, and though many reviews are tainted with user error and not faulty equipment, there are still a lot of duds.

After days of hardcore google-fu researching, I had a few leads. I could have bought a shiny new Aspire K1, which is priced very reasonably, and also took those highly-praised BVC heads. Or even a mini protank of the version 2 or 3 variety that so many people still use. Or maybe the cheaper tanks - an EVOD or a CE-Anything.

But, when someone suggested the Kanger T2, which was an absolute rock bottom priced unit at 3$, and it's replacement heads at 3$ for five, I was intrigued. I delved in, with some krav magoogle, and found plenty of good reviews. Sure, it's a plastic tank. Sure, it's top coil. Sure, it's years old. But man. Three measly dollars? Sixty cents per atty head? Good reviews? Surely it can't be true. I mean, none of the clearomizers that are coming out now have huge wicks trailing down the middle of the tank like a nicotine-fueled octovaper.

But that price... I couldn't resist. Just too good to NOT try it out. So I slapped down nine dollars on a pair of them plus a pack of coils.

Here's a little background on this little ultra-cheap plastic clearomizer.

First, the Kanger T2 atomizer heads had short wicks originally. That's been changed over the couple of years they have been around. Now they have long wicks. I assume the change was to help with (obviously) wicking issues, and that makes good sense as they are top coil devices and the juice has to travel UP to get vaporized, instead of bottom feeding like most clearomizer tanks do now.

Second, the Kanger T2 is extremely similar to the Halo Triton tank, which is still commonly used by enthusiasts of the Halo brand. I am not one of those enthusiasts, but I have also not tried their products. They seem very expensive, which means I will likely never try them. Despite that, I would venture to say my experience with the Kanger T2 is likely very similar to the experience one would get with a Halo Triton tank.

Third, the Kanger T2 is a three piece design. The tip is not changeable with drip tips other than other T2 tips, and the models I received are made of sturdy black plastic. In the past, there were issues with the tip breaking, but from my research it appears this problem has been alleviated for the most part.

As I noted above, it is a three piece design: The tip, the tank section, and the coil unit. The tank section is made up of a plastic tube and two cheap looking metal fittings, one at the top and one at the bottom (possibly more that are press-fit, but I'm not certain even in looking at it). I don't know what kind of metal they are, and haven't been able to suss up that information. The plastic tube does have markings to allow you to see exactly how much juice you have loaded, up to 2.4ml, with some space above the last mark. The base portion does not come apart from the tube section.

Changing the atomizer head is simple, unscrew the tip and then the coil which is at the very top of the center tube, and then screw in a new one.

Filling is just as easy, since this thing is a top-fill - so much easier than the bottom fill units I'm more accustomed to. I don't even take these T2's off of my device when filling (save those threads!), I just take the tip off and fill. As long as the atomizer head is screwed in properly, there's no worries about accidentally getting juice down the center chimney like the bottom-fill clearomizers.

The T2 is Ego threaded, which means you'll need a 510 to Ego adapter if you want to use it on your standard 510 device. Not a big deal, that's been a "thing" for a long time now.

BUT HOW DOES IT PERFORM?

My first vape on the Kanger T2 was surprising. Warm vapor, as the coil is so very close to the tip. Slightly muted flavor, as is expected in any clearomizer. Tight draw, those little airflow holes at the base are little. Good vapor production. Way better than expected. No gurgles, no juice spitting, no flooding. A 2.7ohm coil on an iStick @ 4.5 watts (which, in iStick watts, is more like 8 watts). Pretty much perfect. I was/am in love.

I've been vaping on the two T2's for a week now, each have seen about 30ml of juice (50/50, Mint in one and Turkish Tobacco flavor in the other) and the coils are still perfect and tasting like new. I believe I'll have to change them soon, but I honestly don't know because they are still producing great taste and vapor. I still haven't had a gurgle or a flood or a leak. I'm not even sure this thing can gurgle, the way it's set up.

One issue I have had is keeping the wicks saturated. As the T2 is top coil, you have to tilt the tank when the juice starts to get low, to keep the very top of the wick saturated with juice. Otherwise, you're in for a dry hit, which isn't pleasant. I've gotten used to this, and routinely tilt it between draws, but it may be something that could turn others off.

The biggest problem I've had with the Kanger T2 is that they would not read on a brand new MVP v2.0. Something with the threading and the connector just didn't get along. I supplemented my MVP2 with an Ego to Ego adapter for using these, which was worthwhile and only 3$ more. This is an issue that extends beyond just the Kanger T2, several Kanger tanks have troubles getting together with the MVP2's and Innokin mod threading in general. It can be hit or miss.

So, the pros and the cons!

Pro:
Incredibly, stupidly cheap to buy and maintain.
Good vapor production.
Warm vapor (this could be a con if you like a cooler vape. I quite like it.)
Top fill.
Good capacity (2.4ml is solid!)
Insanely cheap (worth repeating).

Con:
Very tight airflow without modification.
Some T2 units may have trouble threading on some Innokin mods.
Slightly muted flavor.
Plastic. (No cinnamon, no citrus! :( )
Top Coil Wicks. You have to keep them saturated, which means sometimes tipping the tank to keep the top end of the wicks wet with juice.

Final thoughts

I really like this tank. It's solid for the price, fairly sturdy for being so cheap, and has given me zero problems outside of the minor threading issue. I would recommend the T2 in a heartbeat to anyone who doesn't have the cash to shell out for the expensive dual-coil or bottom vertical coil stainless steel clearomizers. I'd also recommend them to those who want an inexpensive tank to take out and about, that you don't have to worry about breaking because they are THAT cheap to replace. Or even to those who are just starting out and don't want to invest too much into their first vaping kit.

Yes, they are old. Yes, they have that funky top-coil with dangly tendril wicks. Yes, they are plastic. But man, what a value. Grab a couple and give them a try. I mean, why not? It's 3$! For the price of one BVC coil you can have a whole clearomizer that will do it's job. You should still get your BVC's or BDC's, I mean, those are amazing, great flavor, great vapor, worth the price. But grab one of these to supplement, or to use for juices you don't like to vape ALL the time, or even just to mitigate the costs of your primary tank's expensive coils. Or if you're new to vaping, grab a couple of Vision Spinners and a couple of Kanger T2's and have a really nice, dependable vape to start out with on the cheap!

Try the Kanger T2. I think you'll be surprised. And, if you don't like it, no big deal! Three dollars, no hassle.

(I ordered mine from Vapingme.com if you're curious as to where to find them!)

Last edited:

dhock50

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have tried about every tank out there including some expensive ones and always go back to the t2s. They are the best for flavor for me and price is good.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have always loved the T-2s.

And I hear that there will be a Pyrex tank version coming soon!

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors