Become a Patron!

THE GRIPPER THREAD: MODDING YOUR GRIPPER MOD

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Handy Orchid.

PA041665 edit.jpg

Same as post #43 except Orchid is fit with Taifun GT nano tank and top cap. The tank holds 1.5 ml more than stock, and though it is 5mm longer, the low profile Taifun GT top cap more than compensates. Assembled, the two together are 6-7mm shorter than the stock tank with Kayfun top cap. So, smaller but holding 1.5ml more juice. Oh wait, TMI. This is the Gripper thread.

My favorite Orchid/Gripper setup for on the road, so far.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That looks great.

Someone was explaining they thought the old epower 6ml carts might fit on top of the extension. Probably wouldn't be the prettiest thing, but interesting. I don't remember them. Kinda nice to say "before my time". I don't get to say that very often anymore.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That looks great.

Someone was explaining they thought the old epower 6ml carts might fit on top of the extension. Probably wouldn't be the prettiest thing, but interesting. I don't remember them. Kinda nice to say "before my time". I don't get to say that very often anymore.

Never seen one either, but can imagine. While we're in mind's eye theater, I also imagine filling the empty space in the Gripper with a Reo workalike feeder setup, short atomizer up top next to the button. :rolleyes:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Assembling a better Gripper 510 extension.

PA071704 edit.jpg

This is the stock Madvapes Gripper extension. It's cheap but of limited use as it comes. To shorten, you have to cut the tube and wire, finish the tube to the new length, remove the connector from the unused end by cutting the tube around the press fit, solder the cut wire, and press fit it back together.

The problem is I have had two of these fail. The main reason is weak wire and solder points. If your connector center pins rotate a bit at either end the wire connection can be broken. It is also kinda backward to dismantle an already assembled unit.

You can make a stronger, more mechanical (no wires) and durable custom extension from scratch, and not waste time undoing something that is already done.

PA071683.JPG

Parts: #6-32 brass round head or M3 brass cheese head machine screw, used or new SS cartomizer tube, 510 male and female press fit atomizer connectors (all readily available at a number of sites).

PA071687 edit.jpg

Cut and finish your cartomizer tube to length. Carefully push the center pins out of the male and female 510 atomizer connectors, keeping the insulators in place and undamaged. If you do scrap an insulator, no worries, they are easy to replace. Chuck the brass screw in a drill or drill press and file down the head to the size of a male atomizer center pin head. File the sharpness off of the screw threads so they will slide easily through the connector insulators.

PA071696 edit.jpg

Install the new center pin.

PA071701 edit.jpg

Once installed, check the center pin length and carefully finish as needed. I suggest trying a few of your favorite atomizers to find the best length for all.

BTW, if you are willing to go this far, make a second center pin and a threaded coupling, screw pin > coupling > pin together with the coupling inside the carto tube, and you have an adjustable 510 center pin. Haven't done one yet but probably will.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
zIzBQBu.jpg

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Assembling a better Gripper 510 extension.

View attachment 6905

This is the stock Madvapes Gripper extension. It's cheap but of limited use as it comes. To shorten, you have to cut the tube and wire, finish the tube to the new length, remove the connector from the unused end by cutting the tube around the press fit, solder the cut wire, and press fit it back together.

The problem is I have had two of these fail. The main reason is weak wire and solder points. If your connector center pins rotate a bit at either end the wire connection can be broken. It is also kinda backward to dismantle an already assembled unit.

You can make a stronger, more mechanical (no wires) and durable custom extension from scratch, and not waste time undoing something that is already done.

View attachment 6906

Parts: #6-32 brass round head machine screw (Home Depot), used or new SS cartomizer tube, 510 male and female press fit atomizer connectors (all readily available at a number of sites).

View attachment 6907

Cut and finish your cartomizer tube to length. Carefully push the center pins out of the male and female 510 atomizer connectors, keeping the insulators in place and undamaged. If you do scrap an insulator, no worries, they are easy to replace. Chuck the brass screw in a drill or drill press and file down the head to the size of a male atomizer center pin head. File the sharpness off of the screw threads so they will slide easily through the connector insulators.

View attachment 6908

Install the new center pin.

View attachment 6909

Once installed, check the center pin length and carefully finish as needed. I suggest trying a few of your favorite atomizers to find the best length for all.

Wow. That is sweet. I need to be a little more focused than I am now to fully understand it. I'll be back. Oops. No drill press.

I vaguely remember playing around with different size extensions and put a shorty (510-510 probably) with a normal cart sized one, and together they were the perfect height. Would there be a way to seal the two together so they wouldn't seperate? That might be easiest.

I've run into a project I'm considering for a 3d printed bottom feeder. There's a detailed pictoral on filling down the head of the screw. Your picture looks similar.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vaguely remember playing around with different size extensions and put a shorty (510-510 probably) with a normal cart sized one, and together they were the perfect height. Would there be a way to seal the two together so they wouldn't seperate? That might be easiest.

Certainly, if stacking different extensions works lengthwise. Madvapes also as a shorter extension (1" it says) which can be combined with shorties to get a custom length. Too bad I can never get the exact length I want that way.

Are you wondering how to keep extension pieces locked together down inside the Gripper carto hole? Epoxy or Loctite (sparingly, don't ruin the electrical connection) depending how permanent you want it to be. But personally I would just use tape. The Gripper's carto hole diameter has enough clearance for that.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 6907

BTW, if you are willing to go this far, make a second center pin and a threaded coupling, screw pin > coupling > pin together with the coupling inside the carto tube, and you have an adjustable 510 center pin. Haven't done one yet but probably will.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Assembling a better Gripper 510 extension (continued).

M3 brass cheese head machine screws make this even easier. The diameter is right to begin with and the head is closer to the size/shape you need.

1011m_brass_slotted_cheese_head_machine_screw.jpg

Just got a bunch @ http://www.mrmetric.com/metric-fasteners/Brass-Metric-Cheese-Head-Screw/M34151.html Their longest size is 40mm, which is a bit short for my longest extension. Works great for all the rest.

And no, they are not from Wisconsin. :)

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Care to share details or link @aikanae?

I just saw this. Go to ECF right now and they are running the last buy-in for the GDeals 3d printed bottom feeder. Be quick because they tend to sell out within hours. I've been promised I could put the parts together in 30 min at the kitchen table. No soldering required.

It's been too quiet in here. I did play around with some of MV's shorty extensions. One of those plus 2 - 510 to 510 connections was the exact heigth I needed to mount a tank. No other modification needed. Simple enough for the tool-less.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Alvin, Spamming again! This has nothing to do with Modding a Gripper!

VU Sponsors