Become a Patron!

The Duncan Hunter bill will ban Mechs.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, so now mech users are more important than the masses. So you're throwing regulated users under the bus....see where I'm going here? I'm done arguing over this with someone who can't see the other side as an equal

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
Ego batteries are still one of the main culprits for fires and explosions. You want to add that to the ban list too?

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I think some things that people are saying should be regulations, should just be common practice. Putting good clear warnings in mech mods is a good idea no matter what isn't it? Or even batteries, I mean when your new like me, I didnt know at first that if my wrap got ripped i was supposed to stop using them until they're rewrapped. I didn't know the whole outside of a battery was part of the negative. (I know) Giving people resources to go and look up the information needed at least.
I know someone said with Google now a days you have no one to blame but your self, but not everyone's a computer wiz or even good with computers, phones or Google. Why not spell it out for people. I mean that's just my opinion, but if you spell it out for people and they still do it... then they truly are idiots and probably deserved it.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Why is all the panties in a twist over this one? It's only a proposed bill - not an actual regulation. And the "safety" guidelines contained in it are so technically non specific they are unenforceable as written. It's like writing a 5 page edict demanding a "safer car" with no technical expertise to back up the vague demand.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Deeming bans future production and sale of all mods that don't get a PMTA approved. So ALL mods have already been thrown under the bus; mechanical or regulated, it doesn't matter. The only thing is, the bus hasn't quite gotten there yet.

H.R. 2194 puts a stake right through the heart of the Deeming rescues almost everything except mods with no short-circuit protection whatsoever. Although I vape such mods almost exclusively, I'd much rather see H.R. 2194 become law than leave the Deeming in place.

Oh, and it's entirely possible to make a mechanical mod with short circuit protection. See the hotspring in a REO, or the automotive fuse element in the original pdib mods. Of course it's trivial to eliminate either of them if the end-user can't live with the small amount of voltage drop...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Who uses a 10 amp battery in a mech?
Ohh the Noseless Vaper that's who :)
Per Mooch the easy answer is you can't tell if a battery is fake, that there's a lot of fake HG2s out there that are just rewraps of (good quality) 10 amp batteries (but that the HG2s are definitely not the only ones that are being faked), and that even trusted vendors can't always know they're selling fakes until eventually they find out.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Besides one does not need a mech to get off of cigs using vaping.
And most who like and use mechs have enough of them to last for the rest of their life.

lmao! so true.
so what does banning mechs mean? does that mean we can't use them outside.... like work school etc or that they can longer be produced and sold on U.S soil?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I love mech's but I already have mine and a pile of spare parts for them... With the popularity of vaping soaring these days we're bound to see more idiots not respecting them than ever, is it our fault they're douche bags that suck? Obviously not but it's a hit I'd be willing to take if that meant people just still vape via mods...

Truth is since I got my Noisy Cricket II-25 I think I've touched my mech only once in the past 2 months, it used to be at least twice a week, I've come to the decision I'm just going to stock up on the NC225, buy a new one every month and create a stockpile this way if one breaks I could possibly cannibalize it to fix another, it's basically a mech with short circuit protection and a potentiometer if you decide to use it...

That bill is designed to eliminate the tobacco label on vaping and ease regulations. Yes, it will implement standards but that is something much better than the current impending regulations.

What is it that will end vaping? The sponsor of the bill is pro vaping. What am I missing?
It won't end vaping it will end mechanical mods plain and simple mechs have no protection so they will go bye bye i love mechs this is bittersweet because good for vapors bad for mech users

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why in the heck does the Government even feel the need to get involved? The way I see it, if someone wants to be a freaking moron, buy a mech mod they clearly don't know how to use and end up blowing their hand/face off when the damn thing explodes from too much power being pushed through the batteries, that's their ass. It's like buying a chainsaw, and chopping your arm off when the thing kicks back on you because you were too stupid/lazy to read the safety instructions.

Unfortunately though, we live in a society where you can pretty much sue anyone for anything. In such a society, stupid people NEED to be protected from themselves so they can't pollute our courts with pointless lawsuits. However, I fail to see why other people who enjoy using their mech mods and know what they're doing with them should have to suffer.

Personally, I'm perfectly happy with my nearly 2-year-old Wismec RX250 and Buddha RDA. They're nothing special, but they get the job done. I'd much rather spend 60 bucks on my 250 than spend 100+ on something more "fashionable" like a G-Priv.

Last edited:
lmao! so true.
so what does banning mechs mean? does that mean we can't use them outside.... like work school etc or that they can longer be produced and sold on U.S soil?

True but that closes the doors on alot of buisness and inovation goes bye bye

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why in the heck
borat-g.jpg

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
like the police has time to add no mech policy to there patrolling. "rolls eyes".

What's really scary is that the police get bored around here because there's very little REAL crime here in comparison to, say Kansas CIty or St. Louie. There's one city cop that likes to hang out on I-44 looking for speeders. And if he catches you, you'd think you're in Mayberry because he acts like Barney Fife. :rolleyes:

To Carambrda: Ewww! You have officially scarred me for LIFE! Didn't your mother ever tell you not to walk around nude on the beach?! The sand gets in your ass.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What's really scary is that the police get bored around here because there's very little REAL crime here in comparison to, say Kansas CIty or St. Louie. There's one city cop that likes to hang out on I-44 looking for speeders. And if he catches you, you'd think you're in Mayberry because he acts like Barney Fife. :rolleyes:

To Carambrda: Ewww! You have officially scarred me for LIFE! Didn't your mother ever tell you not to walk around nude on the beach?! The sand gets in your ass.
So you haven't watched the movie? lol IMO it best describes how seriously fucked this whole banning of mechs idea factually is.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you haven't watched the movie? lol IMO it best describes how seriously fucked this whole banning of mechs idea factually is.

No, I haven't watched the movie. Up until now I just thought you were BSing with me, LOL!

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They are already being forced to drag their feet and deadlines extended over and over - the FDA is feeling the heat, so to speak

Just standing up for all users, regardless

How about instead of regulating mechs out of oblivion, mandating better packaging so that the end user gets better information on how to use the device safely - especially regarding batteries

Not all of these so called venting episodes have involved mechs

A number of them involved loose batteries in pockets coming into contact with other metals, for instance
Yep and you can't fix stupid. I was just reading some of the instances of battery fires on planes the other day and one was a guy that had a unprotected electric drill battery in his bag along with a spiral bound notebook. The wire from the spiral notebook was thin enough to slip inside the grooves where the contacts are hidden on the loose drill battery. So, of course what happened? smh

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
and therein lies the problem.
Very true. And no amount of regulation will stop the stupid from happening. It might slow it down, but. . .

A slight extreme example - we have tons a regulations and laws to prevent people from making homemade pipe bombs. I used to know a guy who blew himself up with one. The media portrayed him as some sort of radical that was apparently going to do some sort of vendetta strike or terrorism. Knowing the guy, though, it was just him being bored and stupid. Point is, no amount of laws and regs will prevent stupid from happening.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah like the warnings that come with all lawnmowers now.
Do not pick up while running.....

You know there was more than one dumbfuck that did it.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yikes! I look at these labels now, and I think man, there has to be a huge amount of stupid in this world. You know, assuming that each of these labels resulted from a lawsuit.

But nothing surprises me anymore. Heck, we've got people suing McDonald's because they made them fat. Well my friend, if you would've quit shoving Big Macs and oversalted french fries down that cavernous gullet of yours, maybe you wouldn't have that problem!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors