Become a Patron!

The dreaded burn

Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for any advice. First of all my name is Andrew. I've recently started to sub ohm but I'm getting an awful burning. The tank is an I sub from innokin. Plenty of liquid in the tank and I've changed the coil but it hasn't made a difference. It's a 0.5 ohm coil running at 20 watts with 60vg/40pg ratio of liquid. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, what nic level are you using? A lot of people use 24mg on the pens then keep it when they switch to subohm setups. This is usually a mistake. I was using 18 when I was in a pen but have since dropped to a 1.5 or 3 with my current sub ohm builds.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also, what nic level are you using? A lot of people use 24mg on the pens then keep it when they switch to subohm setups. This is usually a mistake. I was using 18 when I was in a pen but have since dropped to a 1.5 or 3 with my current sub ohm builds.
Hello and welcome to VU.
Nic level is fine. I can only tolerate a max of 6mg/ml on a sub ohm set up.

nic level is 6mg

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for any advice. First of all my name is Andrew. I've recently started to sub ohm but I'm getting an awful burning. The tank is an I sub from innokin. Plenty of liquid in the tank and I've changed the coil but it hasn't made a difference. It's a 0.5 ohm coil running at 20 watts with 60vg/40pg ratio of liquid. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1. Welcome to the Underground!
2. abcdefghijklmnoPqrstuVwxyz - P comes before V in my alphabet.
3. Have you properly primed your coil? This involves dripping a couple drops on the coil directly before installing it, filling the tank, and letting it sit 5-10 minutes before attempting to vape - at 20 watts I can't imagine you're burning anything, unless you haven't properly primed your setup to get your wicks wet before vaping.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
6 mg may be a bit harsh on an iSub - but probably not intolerable at 20 watts. I'm thinking the problem is still related to priming your coil and waiting a minute for it to get wet before vaping.

1. Welcome to the Underground!
2. abcdefghijklmnoPqrstuVwxyz - P comes before V in my alphabet.
3. Have you properly primed your coil? This involves dripping a couple drops on the coil directly before installing it, filling the tank, and letting it sit 5-10 minutes before attempting to vape - at 20 watts I can't imagine you're burning anything, unless you haven't properly primed your setup to get your wicks wet before vaping.
Thanks for you contribution. I will try another coil to make sure I have primed it correctly.

6 mg may be a bit harsh on an iSub - but probably not intolerable at 20 watts. I'm thinking the problem is still related to priming your coil and waiting a minute for it to get wet before vaping.
Thanks. I think I will go down to around 3

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The nicotine levels has NOTHING to do with coil burning. Coughing or nausea sure, but not burnt coils.

I would start with making sure your coils are getting enough juice, then i would consider the normal coil related issues. Hot legs, loose connections and shorts.

Hrm. I second/third/whatever the prime it well. Just be really thorough with priming it. I'd revisit how you prime it. Drip onto the coil wick until it seems saturated, then put it all together, fill. Also you can shut down the airflow and take a few dry pulls on it to help force the juice into the wick.. just don't overkill it if it starts to gurgle or anything you might be starting to flood it. I had to do that with my hereklese. Just dripping and sitting wasn't enough. Vg ratio shouldn't be an issue.. but also, i've heard of people taking a needle and poking small holes into the cotton where exposed to help wick. I've never done it, but I suppose it's worth a shot if you're certain all of the above is done properly. Goodluck. :)

--just realized this is like a few months old...

VU Sponsors