Become a Patron!

The Daily Mowing and Lawn Lyfe Thread

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just thought I would throw this thread out there since it is that time of year again :)
some of us are even handy at giving mower repair advise.
some may want to lament about the trouble they got into for mowing over the Wifes flowers :)
I guess we could include general outdoor lawn care?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Presently, I don't need to go out and clear jungles or make hay. The apartment complex owners hire out a crew to come in usually once a week during the season. Strange as it might sound to sound to some, I miss doing yard work, mowing.

One of the younger guys let it slip to me they get $12 hrly. Yesterday the line boss over our complex here was out on the rider. He looked over and gave me that ever knowing nod. Figure I'd have work replacing three younger guys if I felt frog enough, just for asking. Not sure I'm that much a frog yet again. Possibly soon though despite her saying 'yes, exercise your body not break it." :)

Looking forward to finding our own place, hopefully sooner than later on this year. Wife is kind of holding off on getting the mortgage/loan started due to her employee stock windfall being in limbo, Her dad has already told her to call them up and let them know we're looking to buy a home, get them settling and sending out payments quicker.

I think the hold up is that one of the company owners happens to have been a crooked WV senator/governor -- suit type o' tick. She doesn't want to wrangle with them over money and have that involved. It's money she earned putting up with bull while working at a place seven to ten years to have it fully vested out.

It is rightly hers but she's just so polite & diplomatic as to not ask for it. Granted, she ought naught need to ask, yet they'll delay as long as they can in hopes she forgets of it and forfeits it back to company, or any way they can avoid paying it out to her. It is nothing huge but it does allow us to consider homes/property in the $30-$50K range whereas we had only figured $30k as our ceiling.

I somewhat dislike seemingly relying on her as to be the one dealing for our home. No, not chauvinistic here by any means, merely thinking and feeling traditionalist. The husband takes care of getting the home, the wife she keeps it. It's all reversed in our case. I'm taking my grandmother's role. I'll farm, garden, mow, tend critters, keep house. She can go roping at the rodeo then, or running cars in crash up derby. *sighs* Never can tell.

I'm sure you can see, ...

SpideyAllFucks2.jpeg

over her being so dang blamed in charge as a woman, strike that, as my Lady. i am proud she is such a woman, strong and capable of anything she wants done, well most anything. "C'mere Lurch, reach up yon and get that such and such for poor little short me."

I dislike first instinct being to see crookedness in folks like that. Usually, rather look for the good in people, find it and help bring it out. Some though you can't help but see all the blood awash on their hands. It saddens.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thank goodness VU now has a lawn care section

Would this be a good place to ask advice on mowers and shrubbery also, or just grassy things in general?

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's raining thus no lawn mowing. I use Milorganite on the lawn. The End.. at least for today.
P.S. How do I rid the lawn of the beastly thistle? My neighbor does nothing for lawn care and his weeds (thistle) pop up into my lawn.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thistle?
have a few of those.
I spot spray with broadleaf weed killer stuff.
Just spray the thistle and it should die in a week or so.

Yeah those neighbors with the thistles, dandelions, etc...

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's raining thus no lawn mowing. I use Milorganite on the lawn. The End.. at least for today.
P.S. How do I rid the lawn of the beastly thistle? My neighbor does nothing for lawn care and his weeds (thistle) pop up into my lawn.
Some sort of broadleaf spray will kill clover, chickweed, thistle and anything alike without messing with your grass. Trimec is what I use at work. RM43 is the chemical in there that takes care of the broadleaf

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tip on pruning if large and small bushes together. Prune the smaller first so you don't have clippings from the taller on the smaller one. Easier to not have to clean the bush of before trimming. Lowers then uppers.
4c7208485a431b906f1dcf4b3ffae5a4.jpg
e35b9351af779e7ff860b812c7a4cd18.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the broadleaf weed killer.
Be careful with it's use under the drip edge of trees.
Why I prefer spot spraying vs spraying the entire lawn.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the broadleaf weed killer.
Be careful with it's use under the drip edge of trees.
Why I prefer spot spraying vs spraying the entire lawn.
If the root system is established well then there should be no problems with leaf color change but just in case stay away from the Japanese maples. What an expensive disaster that would be.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the root system is established well then there should be no problems with leaf color change but just in case stay away from the Japanese maples. What an expensive disaster that would be.
Wife got Chemlawn in Florida.
Killed every oak tree in my yard....
Some trees are more sensitive than others.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have some weed b gone that might work. I'll mix some up in a tank sprayer. I have two dead ash trees in the front lawn. They might come down this year. (depending on how hubs feels).

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
just in case stay away from the Japanese maples. What an expensive disaster that would be.

I just moved a Japanese Red Maple because it was planted to close to the other shrubs. You have 2 times a year you can transplant them when they go dormant and before they wake up for the season. I picked the perfect time and used the natural liquid fertilizer from the compost bin when I moved it. Hopefully it will fill out in the what is now the right side~!

J-ECUubdVR3WKWEkycINXK8QueiLxIAddMzzAuwj7dj_Z_ekLW1gsMWXrnBmPZrc7A2l50N2jJ6Ja0lbtXNixLw_2SZbVsDM3I_C9JTmmREtLYC2LkMURS_CPNVXLVagXFxuaCRe2jZaYGiwUhGGeA27Hsj7p39GCyTIC1Sy2RJduvxPM07KW7VU3VTUd78MmioH1ZYmO8_y3u0eVERlB2AvzB-lBtW9d6lH9wmk1AqtY8ONzaAWaoy8cPvRwRJx0b4PiuxYR0DNnd0nPj7pJsK_obgAqrkl59--fwud5eCxtVRfWlVllAki5pDkoYHvajVkSoD5Fcs-F0upl0lp1hsnda7WSkSLYmV2-YI_PD_iRDXJdGxO0bhqv_gMaw3sz8Eaikh-rPjqkkFMbLEhKY3FfphjmgDMg6aOqBLpWfE2ud4y5YNPeJSRg1RI6ld2ZfgxTcZSrebFk5TNXgAKyXffK-yvDfBKNv5TgJA2mPsKeJk4hHoBDjgZCnRVR2elR2UIMQzKV81ZhOYaoe4-iMfvSa36rP9bz12HE9SIYao7pbDdX8AJ1RfdNGKwX6WOJvRaECMBkHEBXlRJ3JXnNatXzF9Al2ccUCBzO8vwpDm8_HSlNEgxFVoW49mtJGAJc2tP0_H6MTTjdvOCxnQdApO7lBEyfRQ=w570-h759-no

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just moved a Japanese Red Maple because it was planted to close to the other shrubs. You have 2 times a year you can transplant them when they go dormant and before they wake up for the season. I picked the perfect time and used the natural liquid fertilizer from the compost bin when I moved it. Hopefully it will fill out in the what is now the right side~!

J-ECUubdVR3WKWEkycINXK8QueiLxIAddMzzAuwj7dj_Z_ekLW1gsMWXrnBmPZrc7A2l50N2jJ6Ja0lbtXNixLw_2SZbVsDM3I_C9JTmmREtLYC2LkMURS_CPNVXLVagXFxuaCRe2jZaYGiwUhGGeA27Hsj7p39GCyTIC1Sy2RJduvxPM07KW7VU3VTUd78MmioH1ZYmO8_y3u0eVERlB2AvzB-lBtW9d6lH9wmk1AqtY8ONzaAWaoy8cPvRwRJx0b4PiuxYR0DNnd0nPj7pJsK_obgAqrkl59--fwud5eCxtVRfWlVllAki5pDkoYHvajVkSoD5Fcs-F0upl0lp1hsnda7WSkSLYmV2-YI_PD_iRDXJdGxO0bhqv_gMaw3sz8Eaikh-rPjqkkFMbLEhKY3FfphjmgDMg6aOqBLpWfE2ud4y5YNPeJSRg1RI6ld2ZfgxTcZSrebFk5TNXgAKyXffK-yvDfBKNv5TgJA2mPsKeJk4hHoBDjgZCnRVR2elR2UIMQzKV81ZhOYaoe4-iMfvSa36rP9bz12HE9SIYao7pbDdX8AJ1RfdNGKwX6WOJvRaECMBkHEBXlRJ3JXnNatXzF9Al2ccUCBzO8vwpDm8_HSlNEgxFVoW49mtJGAJc2tP0_H6MTTjdvOCxnQdApO7lBEyfRQ=w570-h759-no
Nice looking

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to use a Bayer Concentrated Weed Killer which was great but for whatever reason they stopped selling it around here. I started using the Spectracide Products and this stuff actually works in hours like it says. Also use the Insect Killer for the grubs because they destroyed the lawn on year I didn't out it down.

20GPRgKQ__60NMP9_UUbId15gsYOqgHP-Vj3nKhPfSeYxnfeL0pUruDiSwMM7itDGbt3gB6ewRpHSNBn95cmkwTAJpWqD_9h9h9S_hdtlA9RcQJB5IR3LjZ_Tt3HGUKNi-RELT1xJ_1dUy4_Pk79KcChlxKBpcpqBMVn6niNQAdzUWu8laTcTpV0JnKSZZtjY8MwZRTpG56UPzOXLPY00dwf2dTROVMbJubXMSmNvo5qYhaG4xqpBCsAfMMxBBdzp8FGO0ftrKE-9q1Ov6tyDYMF4Bj_xMHr_sxbomAATIEHqMyIG7HiHrGcgRYQLwelEZqkYbhaaqTrRyu7j_bPYM-21EvUvGoVLElCLZYfza82HfcAliYnKhFYTmrk7Jobp1-9rZdGJrLboK_gw8Mdds8hqxYunBTOpuOzF-f30gbI23iz_iJLDd3nP7coTPxgvf-FbbeNLo0NN4aC9xXV-kuRXWVbzvy8zd-tC-iH0FQsSwGznAWlxOH-xJsLRSVQiB0EaWiv--CxpJVVAyCwxWDuYHvxAW-gwROz97gvFb0p24UwwJ7ge9tayjPzAJqatDcSxdMJq_hYYSCKCKglTb-Hu462eiIpKQ74tNK0Jww4LayHkAciKhRdTouSt8QjmbL9c_6R9HvhilnhJAHf9ukPvHcPCFWM213bik1onoS8uckiCPiv4gzbAQ8kZJiMRlHyAR0KX8F69vY4LuFwfaQf=w570-h759-no

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wahhhhh

Crazy hippie organic chick runs and hides from the chemical warfare playing itself out on the lawns of America

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Although I treat the weeds by spot spraying it is necessary to put down the granules like Crabgrass Preventer and Lawn food. I use the Scotts 4 Step Program along with the other things. One of the best lawn tools I have is an Electronic PH Tester and moisture meter. 6.5 is the number they recommend and I didn't need to use lime last year at all.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wahhhhh

Crazy hippie organic chick runs and hides from the chemical warfare playing itself out on the lawns of America
Good old white vinegar kills weeds too if that's not to harsh for you. But it definitely stinks

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good old white vinegar kills weeds too if that's not to harsh for you. But it definitely stinks

I tried that for Crabgrass along with Baking Soda but I found using the chemicals 2 times a year is the best way to rid your lawn of crabgrass. Once it germinates and the seeds are in the lawn you need to kill it before it grows.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank goodness VU now has a lawn care section

Would this be a good place to ask advice on mowers and shrubbery also, or just grassy things in general?

Shrubbery is indeed most welcomed, I would think. *looks over at @The Cromwell*

I used to trim my mom's hedge row down in VA. When my step-dad lived, he could not even get it anywhere near properly done. Bless his heart he did try. Finally, one day he realized I stood off behind him just chomping at the bit. "Fine precious little bitch, see you do it any better, ..." he growled. Ten minutes later he was enthralled that I actually knew what I was doing. "Who the fuck teaches you all this shit?"

"The granddads, either Pap, your dad, big Ernie, or Chis' Paw Paw. They like to try working me to death. I do the work and just chuckle. They're old and forget they've already worked me so hard as a boy I'll just keep on going after they quit," I quipped bemusedly. Sadly though, ...

"I ought to beat the shit right out of you for being so disrespectful you ungrateful cur!"

By then, I had gotten nearly all the row done, it would have only taken a minute or two to finish off. "Well, you see I'm going on around the other side of the house now to do other work. You think you manage this, or think you'll manage following me to beat me. Afraid if you follow I'm not promising any easy set downs," I replied and turned my back on him on him, walked off. He took up the clippers and went to finishing the row. I got busy trying to sturdy up the building out back to no avail, cheap aluminum over steel frame with washed out wood floor. I bet somebody "sure was a thinking when they put that up."

Still like trimming up shrubbery, all yard / ground work really. I know, I'm messed up in the head, I like working. *chuckles* What else can I do? Don't like video games and smoking *ahem* something else. I get bad enough munchies what getting "normal" dose of testosterone every two weeks, don't need worse case of 'em, I'd starve America into Ethiopia.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
6.5 is the number they recommend and I didn't need to use lime last year at all.

*jots ph number down in reference notes* S'interesting, folks they say ought to aim for around 7 to 7.4 at the higest, which is also what the Universal Solvent is supposed to be as well.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Uh huh, knew some about alkaline and acidity. Washing dishes on a pro level you get taught to watch the ph levels in the water used to wash. Sanitizer is a real nice seemingly universal base, meaning it stops the causticity of a lot of otherwise caustic chemicals. Also learned a bit on it considering a neat counter forensic measure involving lime, water and corpses.

That come from helping check in on chicken grow houses. Got see a quick way to make chemical incineration. Reckon some might shudder & figure that a bit of nasty business. I grew up being taught ... living. A natural part to that is dieing and the dead. Never really considered any of it nasty, but then I've no sense of smell. Lacking that probably helped in waltzing right through the nasty. No I'm not a know it all, not by far. I still haven't read the Voynich Manuscript, or figured out to solidify plasma, no not blood plasma but plasma like from plasma arc welders.

There's also plenty out there I don't care if I ever know it or not. Better off I think not knowing a fair pace. Lets you have surprises in life. :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did a bit of mowing today.
Wife unit volunteered me to mow her friends lawn. Been stuck with this for 3 years so far...
16 miles away and I have to haul mower.

Funny how when you retire and get more physically decrepit that you try to reduce workload and others try to increase it for ya?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Funny how when you retire and get more physically decrepit that you try to reduce workload and others try to increase it for ya?

"Oh how they must love me to keep me so busy." :)

"By the way you were volunteered to go split wood with dad. He'll be over sometime next week, he wasn't sure when but he wanted you play with his new four way head splitter," the wife said a few weeks ago. I nodded.

"Wait, did I volunteer and forget it," I asked.

"No, dad volunteered you. He said you wouldn't mind."

"Well piss!" *shaking my head*

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I mowed half my lawn today. The back is still damp. All the grass clippings is used for compost pile.

Mine lawns are on the calendar for tomorrow but a passing morning shower is in the Forecast.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I heard a distant neighbor mowing in the rain today....

I watched once as Sea Bees built a gazebo which handily concealed a munitions bunker, the rain pelting down in walls all that night. Next morning the brass came by, looked at it, had their Yeoman list it for deconstruction within the next 12 hours. Silly stuff the military does at times. I think possibly a satellite may have been passing review and the bunker needed hidden. The gazebo was fully gone in six hours time, just how the Navy works, tell a sailor they got X amount of time it'll be done in half that and properly as well.

Unlike other branches, Navy never sleeps, has off-duty time. Nope, 25/10/366 for the dogs, that's 25 hrs per day, 10 days per week, 366 days a year and all of it, every second on duty. That's not saying mates don't crash. They do and do so hard. I recall climbing in a rack atop three other mates at 2 AM, had just worked a 20 hr shift doing asbestos abatement, galley crew, watch detail, training unit. Two more mates piled in on me and slept. Starboard watch kept waking up mates every two hours, "back to the fire, go get it!"

We would each run 3 days up, take 1 down, next mate got 3 up, rotating out 3 day shifts with Starboard watch. M.A. kept on us as the Mama. "Done your SSS, sailor?" "No time, down day tomorrow I think. Will then." "Roger, you owe me PT & SSS, company clean up." "Damn it!" "Don't wanna hear it swabbie, you love this shit! This shit loves you too. Carry on!" "Arrrgh!"

M.A. could at any time pull you too. He watched out you weren't being keeled under, being safe physically, mentally. Of course he kept his "favorite" dogs working harder. *chuckles*

Yes, SSS time we did take, at least shitting & shaving but it was so quick there usually wasn't any way to shower but hoping the rain got you. Deodorant, baking soda, foot powder are all fairly handy to keep noxious smelling bodies down to within reason. We pulled what was called Dirty Harry head calls, in there more than 5 minutes expect Dirty Harry to gun you down.

Twenty years on, I still have trouble with that stuff called relaxation, sleep. No wonder as I recall life as it had been.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I may have over done this. Needed a redo. If they die we'll plant more [/quote]

Sometimes you need to trim them back or down and get some bare spots but usually will come back although might take 2 growing seasons. The top does get the most sun and usually fills in faster. Only time will tell, sort of like with a new DIY Recipe~! LMAO

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just be aware of the "main trunks" and try not to go whacking away on them without a "plan". Look inward out, trim outward in. I liked nipping just an inch or two beyond where a "straggler" would connect back to main come Autumn.

Then, you just clean doing buzz cutting based on an arbitrary "X inches" from the Autumn cut grow out, usually 3" was a nice length and not too much or too little. Biggest hassle? Keeping it "formed". Then, that's why we practice mindfulness & meditation, let the great IS guide us free hand trimming. The doing often serves as meditation. :)

"And then? ..."

And then he was realizing the brain doc was not joking. "Get your sleep back to good. Use your machine. It'll be your brain that kills you. Not joking. See my face?"

"And then? ..."

I'll have the cookies of fortune and a large malted peanut butter malt, extra malt, a textured veggie protein boneless rib sandwich,

"And then? ..."

"Station!"

"And then? ..."

*slides action of Rueger 9 mm custom ball bearing, cocks, aims, fires at the silly radio box*

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhnnnnnddddd tttthhhhhhheeeen? ..."

*holsters, walks off* "Long day today, tired, befuddled."

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rained all day on and off here so not much outside work done.
I did trim about a wheelbarrow load of shrubberies that were drooping down over the walk causing ducking and dodging.
Then a trip to town to get the Wife unit some cold meds and sicko food.
She had come down with my horrible head cold thing yesterday.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah keeping a hedge trimmed properly is a PITA.

*nodding* The forming part is roughest, least-ways my thinking. "okay, do I want a goose, maybe a simple squared off block?"

*face thuds on desk, snoring like chain saws dueling ensues*

*picks head back up, blinks* No, I'm wake! I'll stay up past midnight no matter what the inner dad says. It'll tick him off because he answers to the granddads. "Ha, look at ya, got one just like ya ... crazy and stubborn asshole. Serves ya right."

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just be aware of the "main trunks" and try not to go whacking away on them without a "plan". Look inward out, trim outward in. I liked nipping just an inch or two beyond where a "straggler" would connect back to main come Autumn.

Then, you just clean doing buzz cutting based on an arbitrary "X inches" from the Autumn cut grow out, usually 3" was a nice length and not too much or too little. Biggest hassle? Keeping it "formed". Then, that's why we practice mindfulness & meditation, let the great IS guide us free hand trimming. The doing often serves as meditation. :)

"And then? ..."

And then he was realizing the brain doc was not joking. "Get your sleep back to good. Use your machine. It'll be your brain that kills you. Not joking. See my face?"

"And then? ..."

I'll have the cookies of fortune and a large malted peanut butter malt, extra malt, a textured veggie protein boneless rib sandwich,

"And then? ..."

"Station!"

"And then? ..."

*slides action of Rueger 9 mm custom ball bearing, cocks, aims, fires at the silly radio box*

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhnnnnnddddd tttthhhhhhheeeen? ..."

*holsters, walks off* "Long day today, tired, befuddled."
Oh yea I usually just take off the new growth and leaves bushes more natural looking. Owner of the funeral home I was at wanted a drastic cuttig. Said if they die I can replace them on the fall. Job security. Lol

VU Sponsors