“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Are you concentrating mostly on v5 now? I'm about to order flavors, and would like to mix whichever one you are working with most.
Yup. V5 is def what I’m concentrating on. V1-4 are good, but the cake batter is really what sets it apart. If you smell the OG and you’ve smelled cake batter before, it’s unmistakable. The only other things(at the moment) I’m considering adding would be TFA butter or caps butter cream. And I might add cake batter to v1-4 to see what that does. I’ll keep y’all posted!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yup. V5 is def what I’m concentrating on. V1-4 are good, but the cake batter is really what sets it apart. If you smell the OG and you’ve smelled cake batter before, it’s unmistakable. The only other things(at the moment) I’m considering adding would be TFA butter or caps butter cream. And I might add cake batter to v1-4 to see what that does. I’ll keep y’all posted!

Gotcha. Added Cap Butter Cream to my cart also. Have TFA Butter. Thanks! :D

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

By the way, you realize that you and I are very nearly neighbors? I'm about two hours to the south of you. My best friend's daughter is in med school near you.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
By the way, you realize that you and I are very nearly neighbors? I'm about two hours to the south of you. My best friend's daughter is in med school near you.
Nice! She’s at UVA?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Nice! She’s at UVA?

Yes, she's very close to finishing up, I think, but yes. Did her baccalaureate there as well.

I've been up for a few things over the years, saw Bruce Hornsby at the Paramount once, and saw the Dalai Lama at nTelos Pavilion. Like C'ville a lot except for the Jesse Matthew thing. Wouldn't have wanted to be up there through that debacle. I was obsessed and very disturbed with it even from this distance.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just mixed up 30ml of this yet-to-be-named recipe that I just thought up in my head. Haven’t tried it yet, but here’s hoping for the best (I’m extremely skeptical about using Cherry in any recipe because the next day it turns into Vick’s 44)
605904367cb75b22533e3713739ae9e2.jpg

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just mixed up 30ml of this yet-to-be-named recipe that I just thought up in my head. Haven’t tried it yet, but here’s hoping for the best (I’m extremely skeptical about using Cherry in any recipe because the next day it turns into Vick’s 44)
605904367cb75b22533e3713739ae9e2.jpg

I love cherry flavored stuff, but have discovered that with cherry juices I've mixed, it takes a minimum of two weeks steep time. Can turn into something wonderful, but only after patience.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love cherry flavored stuff, but have discovered that with cherry juices I've mixed, it takes a minimum of two weeks steep time. Can turn into something wonderful, but only after patience.

Good piece of advice...if this does like it has in the past and turns to cough syrup, I’ll just shelve it for a couple of weeks. Thanks!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So....I just mixed v5 of Nilla Cake. This one is definitely smelling like it’s heading in the right direction.....hoping the cake batter chills out a bit.......

TFA vanilla cupcake 3%
Caps Cake Batter .5%
Caps French vanilla 2%
FW yellow cake 3%
Caps VWC 1%

Edit.....also....
FA Cookie 1%
Cap super sweet .25%

Double edit.....anyone have any other ideas? Additions? Critiques? Has anyone besides me and @CrazyChef v2.0 tried the OG?

@CrazyChef v2.0.....any input? I might put a smidge of super sweet, just to give it that “commercial”feel.....I’m going to try it tomorrow.
Missing a couple things, so I took advantage of the BCF Memorial Day sale. :D

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, she's very close to finishing up, I think, but yes. Did her baccalaureate there as well.

I've been up for a few things over the years, saw Bruce Hornsby at the Paramount once, and saw the Dalai Lama at nTelos Pavilion. Like C'ville a lot except for the Jesse Matthew thing. Wouldn't have wanted to be up there through that debacle. I was obsessed and very disturbed with it even from this distance.
It was a total mess.....so much fear. And the nazi thing last summer. Also a total mess.

If you ever come up again, I own a restaurant...the Bluegrass Grill and Bakery. Breakfast and brunch place. Cmon in and I’ll buy you breakfast!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Good piece of advice...if this does like it has in the past and turns to cough syrup, I’ll just shelve it for a couple of weeks. Thanks!

You've reminded me. I have Chocolate Covered Cherries that I haven't tried lately. It's been mellowing. :wait:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It was a total mess.....so much fear. And the nazi thing last summer. Also a total mess.

If you ever come up again, I own a restaurant...the Bluegrass Grill and Bakery. Breakfast and brunch place. Cmon in and I’ll buy you breakfast!

That's an awesome offer, thanks! I bet you can cook the hell out of some brunch. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

OMG, I had forgotten about the nazi thing. How could I forget that? You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that on the news, especially happening in a place like C'ville. The people who live in a community have the right to decide issues like that one, and everyone else should butt the f- out. Same kinda thing in Richmond, with Monument Drive, and in Columbia SC. People need to mind their own business and let locals decide their own issues.

ETA: Sorry, I guess you could say I've hijacked here. We'll get back on-topic in a sec.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I've had this Lucky Charms type flavor for a while and never tried it yet. I put this together real quick and will mix it up shortly to try it. Not really looking for throat hit on this, so I'm gonna do it at max VG - 84/16

Lucky Charm Treats : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2444826/Lucky+Charm+Treats

7.00% Lucky Leprechaun Cereal (TPA)
6.00% Rice Treats (FW)
3.00% Vanilla Whipped Cream (CAP)

Flavor total: 16%
Remember to rate it at: http://tjek.nu/r/myWx

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's an awesome offer, thanks! I bet you can cook the hell out of some brunch. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

OMG, I had forgotten about the nazi thing. How could I forget that? You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard that on the news, especially happening in a place like C'ville. The people who live in a community have the right to decide issues like that one, and everyone else should butt the f- out. Same kinda thing in Richmond, with Monument Drive, and in Columbia SC. People need to mind their own business and let locals decide their own issues.

ETA: Sorry, I guess you could say I've hijacked here. We'll get back on-topic in a sec.
Lol! Yeah....I guess we did. But people do need to mind their own business and let locals decide stuff like that. So disappointing and sad.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So.....I’ve tried it. It’s yummy! Not quite the OG, but heading in the right direction. Sweet, cakey, rich.....Cake Batter there, but not prominent. I might up the cookie a tad, maybe add some butter? Let me know what ya think!
Hmm... me thinks based on the description of Nilla, you’re right perhaps TFA butter or CAPS Butter Cream would be a great addition. Maybe .5% of either?

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, of the three variations of that butter cake idea floating around, I've only gotten to take a crack at one of them - actually, it's the one that has no right being an actual recipe, seeing as how it was my "let's just blow this the hell out of the water with flavorings" attempt. Something like eight flavors or so, but I was curious and we all know about curiosity leading to untimely demises of felines and all that.

It's not particularly great by any stretch of the imagination. I fear I mucked it up with too much variety, but you won't know til you try, you know? It's got a faint plastic-y, fake, artificial flavor to the back end that bugs me. But - it's juice, and it isn't terribly terrible, so I filled a tank and decided to give it a good and proper run, shake-n-vape style, to let it get a fair crack at a judgement. Almost all afternoon, evening and night it wasn't the greatest.

Then. This morning, I grab it with me to make a quick jaunt out into town, and that first hit was magic. Nuanced, layered, pleasant. Not light in the flavor, but no hint of that plastic-y, fake, artificial back note. I audibly went "ooh, right on."

Further on into the morning, that note is back. I'm looking forward to trying the other bottles now.

SO I press my question to the studio audience:

What changed in that little couple of hits? Nicotine oxidization on the juice left on/near the coil overnight? Fresh taste buds? My brain's interpreting of the profile while still slightly groggy? Or, is this an indication that the juice's flavorings will mellow out, marry each other a little more with proper steeping?

The last one intrigues me as a possibility, because I've been on a "if you can't shake-n-vape it, it ain't the best" row for a good while now, forgoing all steeping unless it just sits there waiting to be spotlighted. But this... I mean, if a couple days turns BLEH into MMMM, then, shoot... I may have to concede that there is something more to steeping than I gave credit to.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hmm... me thinks based on the description of Nilla, you’re right perhaps TFA butter or CAPS Butter Cream would be a great addition. Maybe .5% of either?
Yup. That’s where I thought of starting. My gut goes with butter cream first, but I def could be wrong.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So, of the three variations of that butter cake idea floating around, I've only gotten to take a crack at one of them - actually, it's the one that has no right being an actual recipe, seeing as how it was my "let's just blow this the hell out of the water with flavorings" attempt. Something like eight flavors or so, but I was curious and we all know about curiosity leading to untimely demises of felines and all that.

It's not particularly great by any stretch of the imagination. I fear I mucked it up with too much variety, but you won't know til you try, you know? It's got a faint plastic-y, fake, artificial flavor to the back end that bugs me. But - it's juice, and it isn't terribly terrible, so I filled a tank and decided to give it a good and proper run, shake-n-vape style, to let it get a fair crack at a judgement. Almost all afternoon, evening and night it wasn't the greatest.

Then. This morning, I grab it with me to make a quick jaunt out into town, and that first hit was magic. Nuanced, layered, pleasant. Not light in the flavor, but no hint of that plastic-y, fake, artificial back note. I audibly went "ooh, right on."

Further on into the morning, that note is back. I'm looking forward to trying the other bottles now.

What changed in that little couple of hits? Nicotine oxidization on the juice left on/near the coil overnight? Fresh taste buds? My brain's interpreting of the profile while still slightly groggy? Or, is this an indication that the juice's flavorings will mellow out, marry each other a little more with proper steeping?

The last one intrigues me as a possibility, because I've been on a "if you can't shake-n-vape it, it ain't the best" row for a good while now, forgoing all steeping unless it just sits there waiting to be spotlighted. But this... I mean, if a couple days turns BLEH into MMMM, then, shoot... I may have to concede that there is something more to steeping than I gave credit to.
I am a firm believer in steeping. Some flavors, like Caps Cake Batter, absolutely NEED a steep, in my opinion. Custards, creams, butter.....steepers. And sometimes a night or even a few hours away from it do a lot of justice. I switched from v5 to a strawberry cream for a bit. When I just went back to it, I could detect a cookie note that I didn’t find before. Yum! There is definitely a time for shake and vape and I have plenty of recipes that work like that, but for me, I automatically steep when I use certain ingredients.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am a firm believer in steeping. Some flavors, like Caps Cake Batter, absolutely NEED a steep, in my opinion. Custards, creams, butter.....steepers. And sometimes a night or even a few hours away from it do a lot of justice. I switched from v5 to a strawberry cream for a bit. When I just went back to it, I could detect a cookie note that I didn’t find before. Yum! There is definitely a time for shake and vape and I have plenty of recipes that work like that, but for me, I automatically steep when I use certain ingredients.
I’m getting ready to mix your Nilla v5, should I take one for the team & add .5% of TFA butter :D?

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, guess I won't chuck this bottle in the bin quite yet, then. Let's see how it fairs a couple days from now!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

The value of steeping and the way flavors can change, sometimes even overnight, was just about the first lesson I learned when I mixed my first bottle of juice. Maybe it was a more necessary lesson for me with that first mix, by virtue of the fact that a couple of the particular flavors I chose were not very good right off. It was another cinnamon mix, using Vape Wild cinnamon, which I've learned since is fickle friend at best, and on the morning of day six tastes nothing like it does when you first mix it. I kept after that juice a couple of times a day for the first week and was able to really observe how it was changing.

The vanilla cake I mixed Friday night lost its unpleasant chemical note just by sitting overnight. Then there's all this cherry stuff I've mixed. Damn near unvapeable until at least two weeks' steep time.

Seems to me like having juice in a tank, and actually using the tank, is sort of a "quick steep" method of its own, seeing that by doing that, you're exposing the juice in the tank to more heat than the juice just sitting in a bottle at room temperature. With PG carrying flavor and PG and VG mixing best with the application of a little heat, it makes sense to me that exposure to the heat of a coil will help blend flavors faster. Then you refill the tank with juice that's not had any heat exposure, and you're back to square whatever. Right? Shoot, even body temperature is an average of about 25 degrees warmer than room temperature. I was thinking yesterday that I could slide a bottle of juice between my leg and the arm of my chair, and it would eventually warm up to just about body temp, which would probably help blend it at least a little bit faster.

I have noticed too that when rinsing mixing tools after use, it doesn't take very much heat at all to liquefy VG. It mixes quite readily with water that is only just warm.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I've had this Lucky Charms type flavor for a while and never tried it yet. I put this together real quick and will mix it up shortly to try it. Not really looking for throat hit on this, so I'm gonna do it at max VG - 84/16

Lucky Charm Treats : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2444826/Lucky+Charm+Treats

6.00% Rice Treats (FW)

Getting a power steep in the USC while I rewick an RDA. It passes the fingertip test, so I hope it vapes okay.
This is my desk right now.....recipe development.....:)View attachment 112242
Hey! I have the same scale!
6xbQD4X.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Changing the subject, do y'all keep nic salts in the fridge?

I'm about to take a nap, been up nearly all night with work problems, but when I get up I'm thinking of trying some citric acid in a 60ml bottle of nicotine to make salts of it.

1 tsp granular citric acid dissolved in 4 ml of warm distilled water, added to 60ml of freebase 100mg nic.

Once the nic is unsealed and "salted," though, do I need to refrigerate it?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok all mixed up, except, turns out I only have CAP Vanilla Cupcake, hoping it’s not too different from the TFA, added the CAP Golden Butter. Tasted a little in my Kaees Aladdin rda. Can’t taste much right now, I’ll let it steep overnight.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok all mixed up, except, turns out I only have CAP Vanilla Cupcake, hoping it’s not too different from the TFA, added the CAP Golden Butter. Tasted a little in my Kaees Aladdin rda. Can’t taste much right now, I’ll let it steep overnight.
Yeah, I let it go overnight. Was trying to prevent a cake batter overload. Hoping yours turns out good!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Imma gonna say it.....I like it better than the OG......:)
Wow that’s great!

Guess, I should mix again with the TFA Vanilla Cupcake, yeesh :facepalm:

With the FA Butter should I go with .2% or just mix up the recipe & add a few drops at a time? Maybe 3? Decisions, decisions.....

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

6.00% Rice Treats (FW)

It surprisingly mild at 16% flavor. May have to increase the LLC to 10%, and add a little super sweet - 0.5%?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It surprisingly mild at 16% flavor. May have to increase the LLC to 10%, and add a little super sweet - 0.5%?
Vaped your ruby chocolate cheesecake today after a two week steep. Ruby chocolate takes over, no cheesecake taste, but it is a nice mellow cherry cream, very good. I'm gonna make it again with maybe half the ruby. Very tasty now, just not a cheesecake juice anymore.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yeah, I should have updated. I wasn't impressed after the steep. :oops:

Just added this to the notes, and will try it again:
5/27: Decreased Ruby Chocolate from 4% to 2.5%; increased Cheesecake from 6% to 7.5%; increased Custard from 3% to 5%

Last edited:

VU Sponsors