Become a Patron!

TFV8 Bad taste..

TheAterix

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Alien base with the TFV8 ontop I bought the other day brand new, the stock coil was F****d from the start and the lad in the shop gave me a new one straight up, then with this one, I done 12 inhales with a closer air flow, then 12 with a full open, and a few days later still no great taste.
What I dont get is, the lad in the shop with EXACTLY the same setup, including the liquid (he recommended it) it tasted awesome, and had loads of cloud and was running a high watt...
Its a bad taste and is almost like its burning.
I was getting the same kind of taste on the stock tank that came with the alien, what am I doing wrong?

Also, what coils should I look at getting because ive been recommended the T8 which is in there now, and the RDA and the Q4. But I dont know whats best for me, I like nice flavour and nice cloud, and I presumed that was achieved from the higher wattages, although im probably misinformed.

Any help is appreciated

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The wattage rating of those coils is way over-rated, drop the wattage and they last for a month or longer.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Alien base with the TFV8 ontop I bought the other day brand new, the stock coil was F****d from the start and the lad in the shop gave me a new one straight up, then with this one, I done 12 inhales with a closer air flow, then 12 with a full open, and a few days later still no great taste.
What I dont get is, the lad in the shop with EXACTLY the same setup, including the liquid (he recommended it) it tasted awesome, and had loads of cloud and was running a high watt...
I was getting the same kind of taste on the stock tank that came with the alien, what am I doing wrong?

Also, what coils should I look at getting because ive been recommended the T8 which is in there now, and the RDA and the Q4. But I dont know whats best for me, I like nice flavour and nice cloud, and I presumed that was achieved from the higher wattages, although im probably misinformed.

Any help is appreciated
Is that the cloud beast, baby beast or big baby?

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That sounds like what happened to me when I tried running it at too high a wattage. Some juice doesn't work well at higher wattages, in my experience.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sense Blazer coils that is. Sorry. I drip more often than not, but I keep a couple tanks for when I'm not home, I have the Sense Blazer and the Cloud Beast, and I run the same ceramic coils in both of them. But the ceramics you'll want to prime then regularly and then let them sit for about 30 minutes before firing them. 5-10 good pulls with the airflow closed will help if you're in a hurry, but if you fire them too soon you will run into a burnt glass type taste which is worse than burnt cotton. I run mine at 100watts consistently and have been using these 2 coils for a month already. Like I said though I don't use them at home.

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

TheAterix

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sense Blazer coils that is. Sorry. I drip more often than not, but I keep a couple tanks for when I'm not home, I have the Sense Blazer and the Cloud Beast, and I run the same ceramic coils in both of them. But the ceramics you'll want to prime then regularly and then let them sit for about 30 minutes before firing them. 5-10 good pulls with the airflow closed will help if you're in a hurry, but if you fire them too soon you will run into a burnt glass type taste which is worse than burnt cotton. I run mine at 100watts consistently and have been using these 2 coils for a month already. Like I said though I don't use them at home.

HellbillyRJ

Until they come would you recommend I use the Q4 or the RDA? Never used an RDA before, and heard the Q4 is rated by some people. Will order the blazers now

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Q4's aren't bad, they should have a recommended setting on them "Best at: ___" stay in that range and they should be okay. Are you priming the coils before you fire them though?
It could be a bit hard using the included RBA. And the rebuildable decks in tanks are a bit small in my opinion, especially just starting out. If you wanna get into rebuildables I would suggest a dripper a good deck size 22mm or 24mm. But, yes the Q4's should be okay if you prime them right. Flavor may not be the most abundant but it's always better than a burnt coil

HellbillyRJ

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, make sure you prime it properly first. Then I start below the recommended setting, and go up 5w at a time until I find the right setting.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, make sure you prime it properly first. Then I start below the recommended setting, and go up 5w at a time until I find the right setting.
Good advice. I always forget about starting low. I burnt up a few coils by starting at "what I'm used to" and still always forget to mention...

HellbillyRJ

TheAterix

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whats a good wattage to start at and how incremental should I be upping it? After how many hits?

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@TheAterix if you're not sure about how to prime the coil, take the glass off and you'll see little holes around the base of the coil head. Just put a drop or two in each hole, make sure you hit each hole though and going over the same one twice doesn't hurt it. Then put a few drops (3-5) down the top of each coil at the top. Put it all back together, fill normally, close airflow, take 3-5 good pulls without firing it and it should be good to go.

HellbillyRJ

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whats a good wattage to start at and how incremental should I be upping it? After how many hits?
20 or 25 to start, 3 or 5 pulls, then up 5. Probably won't get much at that low, but increase gradually until you find your spot, if you find a spot that's almost good and go up 5 more but it's not good anymore, drop it down 2 or 3 and fine tune it to taste is the best way I think.

HellbillyRJ

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@TheAterix if you're not sure about how to prime the coil, take the glass off and you'll see little holes around the base of the coil head. Just put a drop or two in each hole, make sure you hit each hole though and going over the same one twice doesn't hurt it. Then put a few drops (3-5) down the top of each coil at the top. Put it all back together, fill normally, close airflow, take 3-5 good pulls without firing it and it should be good to go.

I also try to let it sit for 10-15 minutes, just to make sure it gets really saturated. But that may just be me being overly cautious. :teehee:

Oh, and I like the quad coil, even in the big baby beast.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Set the airflow to your preferred draw. I run mine wide open on all my tanks but I like thick cloud plumes and 5-10 second lung hits with a moderately cool vape personally.

HellbillyRJ

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep it open wide.
Lol great minds :wink:

HellbillyRJ

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hopefully all this helps out and gets you what you're looking for, or at least provides a better experience. Good luck and happy vapes

HellbillyRJ

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, not really. It's just to keep from burning it up as soon as you fire it

HellbillyRJ

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cloud Beast coils need a lot of priming. I juice mine until they won't absorb anymore. You can also poke tiny holes in the cotton to help it wick faster, but I never found it necessary.

And no, you won't get anything at 25w. I start 10w below the lowest rating printed on the coil.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I start 10w below the lowest rating printed on the coil.
I stay at that wattage range, the coils can last for over a month before you want better flavor, but have never burnt a coil. It's a great vape too...the wattage is way over-rated. I think they do that purposely to sell more coils.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I stay at that wattage range, the coils can last for over a month before you want better flavor, but have never burnt a coil. It's a great vape too...the wattage is way over-rated. I think they do that purposely to sell more coils.
I think Smok does. The Sense Blazer ceramic coils though, they've lasted over 10 tanks so far at 100 watts (Max rating) and I've pushed it a few hits at 130-150 forgetting to adjust watts after switching to tank from RDA.

HellbillyRJ

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think Smok does. The Sense Blazer ceramic coils though, they've lasted over 10 tanks so far at 100 watts (Max rating) and I've pushed it a few hits at 130-150 forgetting to adjust watts after switching to tank from RDA.

HellbillyRJ
I'll have to try those...thanks

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problem. I bought a 5 pack early last month. I've used one out of them so far. The blazer tank came with one installed already and I put one in the cloud beast lol... Both tanks have been refilled a number of times bc I switch juice like a toddler changes clothes. I've also never had a problem with ghost flavors (aside from the first few pulls after changing flavors) from a drained tank which is another bonus over cotton could for me lol

HellbillyRJ

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@TheAterix just checking in to see if you had better luck with that tank.

HellbillyRJ

Any help is appreciated
I found that if you get a burnt taste from your standard coils on the big baby beast if you loosen the top until the first set of bubbles come out of the coil itself you will not get a burnt taste especially if the coil has been pre-primed correctly it means that the that everything is loose but it should not leak at the seals will hold air is thinner than liquid works better with the thicker liquids i.e. 7030 type or or the 8020 anything synonym this and you may get leaking but like a lot of pre built coils and and these type of atomizer sometimes you do have to loosen them up a little bit just to get enough earring to make liquid go through the coil it's always seems to work for me why not try it

VU Sponsors