Become a Patron!

TFV4 vs. TFV4 mini

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With the massive coil selection, I'm thinking about trying one of these. Question is, which one is the better option?

I've seen that there have been leaking issues with the TFV4, but it seems like just as many people haven't had a problem (some complaints seem to be with 100% VG?). The mini has less capacity obviously, but if it's far less leaky then that might be an acceptable compromise.

So, if anyone has used both, which is the better option? Which do you prefer? I'm partially keen on the mini given it comes with Clapton coils in the box, and I've never tried those before.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There both great tanks ! I use both of them. All of the coils SMOK makes for them fits both of the tanks. Only real difference is one holds 3ml of juice and one holds 5ml. One is larger I think 24mm and one is 22mm. I have no trouble with either of them. A lot of times with people having trouble is because to be quite honest you do have to be a little mechanical and technically inclined to be a successful problem free vaper. Of course every once in a while there is a defect or a bad design. So in my opinion they are both great tanks and my personal favorites on the market right now. Every one has their own preferences though and it's what works best for you that ultimately matters. Hope this helps and have a great day !

NCHornet

Member For 4 Years
I love mine and now it is my go to tank. I have only had mine leak once and that was my fault for filling it to full. I have the full size kit. Why not have the extra juice capacity?
NCH

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing not mentioned, heat. If I vape my Mini like I vape my full size I end up with a scorching hot tank, that's no good. That said I vape my fullsize at 120w+ usually. I've found the Mini handles fine up till like 80-90w then the heat becomes an issue. So, if you plan to max out your wattage then I'd say fullsize, if you don't (apparently some of the new clapton coils are superb at that "lower" wattage range, but i haven't tried myself).

Each has some little quirks better/worse but nothing notable other than overall size, capacity, and that heating issue IMO. Leaking I've never had happen with the prebuilt coils, just when I screw up wicking on my custom builds.

If the fullsize is too bulky for you then consider the heat and capacity and you might go for the Mini, if the diameter isn't an issue I'd personally say fullsize all the way... though I guess if you MTL vape and make your own coils the fact that the mini comes with the clapton RBA and the plug... it's really nice.

As an aside, at this point I use my Mini for MTL vaping on a smaller mod, and my fullsize on my more powerful setups vaping 120w+, each great and get use (though both my "backups" at this point).

Reactions: SOC

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I own all the Smok TFV4 Tanks...The Fullsize, The Mini and the Micro and they are all great. The only one that uses different coils is the Micro which you only get with the Smok R80 Micro Kit. The Mini and Fullsize blow through juice unless you use the RBA's, the Micro isnt as much of a juice guzzler but still puts out.
Mini Me.jpg 20160115_112840.jpg

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice, the Micro is out. I just stumbled on the new Guardian III pipe mod from Smok, gotta say I want that combo, but everything is preorder atm. Curious, how is the micro's airflow and pull resistance?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nice, the Micro is out. I just stumbled on the new Guardian III pipe mod from Smok, gotta say I want that combo, but everything is preorder atm. Curious, how is the micro's airflow and pull resistance?
Wide open it is Airier then the Fullsize, I have it less then halfway closed down and that I like, the coils dont require as much power or air so I tend to draw slower then I would with the normal coils.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah my bad, forgot that the MTL thing you have to buy the coilheads built for that, the others are wide open on the internal airflow. Anyways, I'll be looking into that bad boy.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah my bad, forgot that the MTL thing you have to buy the coilheads built for that, the others are wide open on the internal airflow. Anyways, I'll be looking into that bad boy.
I love TFV4s!
Just wish they had a Nano/Micro Snow Wolf...
20160115_160737.jpg20160115_160752.jpg

Attachments

• 20160115_160746.jpg
    20160115_160746.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 17

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys, I think I may try the full-size version, and maybe grab one of the coil sample things.

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Apparently the highest wattage limit of one of the new Smok coils is 180W. 180W! Now, the Crown 0.25 goes up to 120W I think, and while I usually vape that between 80-100W I am that guy who will try something all the way to the limit just to see what it does. That's how I found the 80-100W range on the Crown anyway, general screwing around to see where it worked best. So now I need a new box mod. Or more accurately I may be using this as an excuse to get another box mod...

So, Sigelei Fucahi 200W? Koopor Plus 200W? Snow Wolf 200W? RX200? What's a good high-wattage box mod, given that I seem to come close to maxing out coils? Temp control features/functionality are not important, my Sigelei 150W TC works just fine with my two temp control coiled tanks. I also have mated pairs of Samsung 25Rs and LG HG2s, if I want to run something way down around 0.15 ohms at 150W + is there a better battery to get as well?

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm loving the Cuboid 150 with the 200W update, as far as batteries, Sony VTC4, they are 30A Max Continuous, much better for low ohm, and high watts.

So i broke my mini TfV4 that i got with my guardian pipe 3 (which I am obsessed with).

I got a regular size Tfv4 but it seems like my clouds aren't as good. any idea on what wattage i should set it to? the Guardian only goes up to 75 and i was at 40 with my mini

These tfv4 tanks are amazing for vapour production, are you sure your coil isn't burning out? I read somewhere, if vapour seems less could be a sign the coil needs to be changed so that's one reason why the vapour seems less.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These tanks were popular before I got into sub-ohm vaping. I feel like I missed out. Its kind of a shame these are being phased out. Coils and actual tanks are getting harder to find. The coil variety with these is vast...or was. With the baby beasts its all standard kanthal.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I enjoy some of the old tanks, including the tfv4, and herakles/herakles plus. If you come across a tfv4 at a reasonable price, it is imho well worth owning. Coil life is much longer than with newer Smok tanks. The few I see are stainless, and full size not mini. This tank looks much better in black.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had 2 TFV4 mini's, 6 glasses and 4 RBA decks and a couple boxers of coils and 6 oring/gasket sets.
They were ok but I gave them all away to another VU member a month or so ago.
I like My origional Serpents and Kanger STM's with RBA better.
Just a matter of what I like.
Gave away all my Lemo2 stuff as well.

VU Sponsors