Tesla WYE 200w - Auto fire and won't shut off

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
This isn't specifically a recall. A young woman is selling one on OfferUp.com. She is local and states that the mod is new, etc. I love it (yellow). She is asking $60. Found it in several places online from $35 - $38.

During negotiations I pulled up one of Jai Haze's reviews in July '17 since he love dainty, light mods. And I checked other reviews. Jai later updated his review with:

"Important UPDATE: There are some people that are experiencing issues where the mod doesn't turn off, and it auto fires and ALSO a combination of both. If you have this problem, updating the firmware WILL NOT fix this. Contact Tesla or the company you bought it from as this is a very very bad problem."

I'm still interested in her mod. But it will depend on what I hear here.

If you have one, please share your experience.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I just realized that this mod doesn't shut off. It goes into standby mode. But the auto firing has me curious.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm vaping on my yellow Wye at the moment.
I've had zero troubles with the mod vaping 10-15ml daily in TCR mode.
One of my favorite mods since I got a while back.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm vaping on my yellow Wye at the moment.
I've had zero troubles with the mod vaping 10-15ml daily in TCR mode.
One of my favorite mods since I got a while back.
It's one of my favourites too but I think for mods in that price range the speeder does better TC

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't like how the battery door has no ribbons either

It was said that since the sides have cut-outs, there was no need for the ribbon since removing the batteries would be much easier.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have too many mods to babysit them in case they auto fire.

However, can't help but notice the very similar Boxer Rader. Not seeing much feedback on this. Anyone experienced with that device?

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have too many mods to babysit them in case they auto fire.

However, can't help but notice the very similar Boxer Rader. Not seeing much feedback on this. Anyone experienced with that device?

As the Wye doesn't autofire at my house, I doubt it would at yours.
I got both the Wye and Rader Boxer the same day.
Here's a recap of them both. Still stand by my initial impression.

The Tesla weighs 67g while the Rader is hardly a porker at 84g. My VT167 is 228g. All the weights are empty, no tank or batteries.
The Tesla is some sort of plastic and has a soft touch feel to it. I like it. The Rader is nylon.
The Tesla has a better battery compartment in that it uses 'button' contact while the Rader has the bent brass strips.
No idea what chip runs either one except to say they are not Evolv or Yihi.
However, they are both performing well in my use, TC using SS430.
Both read my coils exactly the same and the same as my DNA mods.
Neither tell you if you should lock resistance, but since they both will lock resistance I do.
Time to set TCR, wattage, and temp.

To set TCR on the Rader, first you press the fire button 3 times to get the mode to flash. Then you use the +/- buttons to scroll through the options. Wait, there's no TCR selection. Back to the very poor manual. I guessed that I needed to be in SS316 mode then press all three buttons. Bingo, here's a TCR setting with 0.0009 in it. Ok, so no way to input the exact TCR, so I changed it to 0.0014 (SS430 is 0.00138). Screwed on an OBS Engine, very nice vape.

Temp 'felt' right in that it was not too hot and did not continue to heat up. There was a temperature protection message flashed on the display as I would expect.

There is a problem with the manual TCR settings on the Rader.
First, you can't input the exact value because of how they have configured the settings.
Second, the value you set will change back to the default whenever you change batteries or power settings. For me, the vape becomes weak, so I looked and it was back to the 9. Not a huge deal, just bump it back to 14 and all is well. Once you know it, it is an annoyance, not a deal breaker.

Setting TCR on the Tesla was direct. Select TCR, input the value, vape. You can put the exat value into the Tesla and it stays over swapping batteries.

Menu system is more complete and much easier to use on the Tesla.

Vape is great on this mod too, just like I found on the Rader.

For me and my vaping style, both are nice mods that I will continue to use.
Both feel much better in my hand than other dual battery mods, likely due to weight, but the shape has something to do with it too.

Looks? Well, I think they are both nice, but would choose the Telsa if I had to keep only one.

Screens? I like them both. The Rader has both cells voltage and the voltage applied to the coil along with a puff count.. The Tesla has less technical info. Both have what you need to vape on them. Wattage, battery level, resistance, temperature.

As far as I can tell, the Tesla doesn't need a firmware update, it's fine as it stands. The Rader though needs the TCR menu reworked. Definitely usable, just would like the issues I see fixed.

Note that I don't use wattage mode, the stock Ni, Ti, or SS316 settings. I vape 40-60W TC at 420-460F on dual coil tanks.

If they were the same price, I'd pick the Tesla. For me, both were under USD 35

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As the Wye doesn't autofire at my house, I doubt it would at yours.
I got both the Wye and Rader Boxer the same day.
Here's a recap of them both. Still stand by my initial impression.

The Tesla weighs 67g while the Rader is hardly a porker at 84g. My VT167 is 228g. All the weights are empty, no tank or batteries.
The Tesla is some sort of plastic and has a soft touch feel to it. I like it. The Rader is nylon.
The Tesla has a better battery compartment in that it uses 'button' contact while the Rader has the bent brass strips.
No idea what chip runs either one except to say they are not Evolv or Yihi.
However, they are both performing well in my use, TC using SS430.
Both read my coils exactly the same and the same as my DNA mods.
Neither tell you if you should lock resistance, but since they both will lock resistance I do.
Time to set TCR, wattage, and temp.

To set TCR on the Rader, first you press the fire button 3 times to get the mode to flash. Then you use the +/- buttons to scroll through the options. Wait, there's no TCR selection. Back to the very poor manual. I guessed that I needed to be in SS316 mode then press all three buttons. Bingo, here's a TCR setting with 0.0009 in it. Ok, so no way to input the exact TCR, so I changed it to 0.0014 (SS430 is 0.00138). Screwed on an OBS Engine, very nice vape.

Temp 'felt' right in that it was not too hot and did not continue to heat up. There was a temperature protection message flashed on the display as I would expect.

There is a problem with the manual TCR settings on the Rader.
First, you can't input the exact value because of how they have configured the settings.
Second, the value you set will change back to the default whenever you change batteries or power settings. For me, the vape becomes weak, so I looked and it was back to the 9. Not a huge deal, just bump it back to 14 and all is well. Once you know it, it is an annoyance, not a deal breaker.

Setting TCR on the Tesla was direct. Select TCR, input the value, vape. You can put the exat value into the Tesla and it stays over swapping batteries.

Menu system is more complete and much easier to use on the Tesla.

Vape is great on this mod too, just like I found on the Rader.

For me and my vaping style, both are nice mods that I will continue to use.
Both feel much better in my hand than other dual battery mods, likely due to weight, but the shape has something to do with it too.

Looks? Well, I think they are both nice, but would choose the Telsa if I had to keep only one.

Screens? I like them both. The Rader has both cells voltage and the voltage applied to the coil along with a puff count.. The Tesla has less technical info. Both have what you need to vape on them. Wattage, battery level, resistance, temperature.

As far as I can tell, the Tesla doesn't need a firmware update, it's fine as it stands. The Rader though needs the TCR menu reworked. Definitely usable, just would like the issues I see fixed.

Note that I don't use wattage mode, the stock Ni, Ti, or SS316 settings. I vape 40-60W TC at 420-460F on dual coil tanks.

If they were the same price, I'd pick the Tesla. For me, both were under USD 35

Thanks for all the detail. Was looking at Minikin, V2 but not a fan of the touch screen, and the Boost seems too wide.

Also looking at the Speeder, and for a beater mod, the iKonn 220- in black without the Alien bling.

Revenger crossed my mind, but something I would get if ever on sale, not at $60 plus. Same for Drag, form factor questionable.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the detail. Was looking at Minikin, V2 but not a fan of the touch screen, and the Boost seems too wide.

Also looking at the Speeder, and for a beater mod, the iKonn 220- in black without the Alien bling.

Revenger crossed my mind, but something I would get if ever on sale, not at $60 plus. Same for Drag, form factor questionable.
I have all of the above haha. Revenger and minikin are my most used mods.
I want the G class but don't have a good enough income to just buy it on a whim haha

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I think that a lot of these auto firing mods may be because of juice leakage from RTAs onto then into the mod.

So if you are more careful then some you shouldn't have any problems.

I recently had a voopoo drag auto fire and then die on me but i think that was simply the mod forcefully gasping for juice as it passed on to that big cloud in the sky:)

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

You're welcome.

I have the Speeder here as well. It's a nice mod, but in TC has no ability to change/set the resistance. It is always off by enough to make my vape kind of cool, so I have to fire it, take the tank off then put it on to get the 'New/Old' choose new and see if it is close.
For that sole reason, it doesn't get much use.
Great once you get the resistance right, pain in the buttocks to get the resistance right.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're welcome.

I have the Speeder here as well. It's a nice mod, but in TC has no ability to change/set the resistance. It is always off by enough to make my vape kind of cool, so I have to fire it, take the tank off then put it on to get the 'New/Old' choose new and see if it is close.
For that sole reason, it doesn't get much use.
Great once you get the resistance right, pain in the buttocks to get the resistance right.
That's same reason I don't use mine much too. I mainly use my minikin but I dial in a higher TCR cos hits weak but is smooth with 0.00108

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine just auto-fired today, bought it used, so not a lot I can do. In the trash she goes....:(

VU Sponsors