Become a Patron!

Tesla 18650 cells

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
So I was wandering through ebay and stumbled upon someone selling salvaged 18650s from a Tesla Model S, and I remembered having a conversation with an acquaintance ( ive seen him maybe three times, and he doesn't seem to be the brightest). He had raved about a buddy of his hooking him up with a Tesla 18650, and that the battery would last him all day. Im wondering if there was any truth to his story, because the way he vapes a random person would guess that he uses his mod more often than he breathes. Im quite interested, because the guy I was talking about strictly uses his Manhattan mech and Id go all in to have cells that may perform better in my SOI Shorty Compared to my VTC5As.

However Im not going to go and buy a pair of cells and just stick one in my mod and see if it can handle my low ohm builds. I like my fingers and my mod too much. But my interest has been piqued quite a bit and I thought I could post and see if anyone has any info on those Tesla 18650 cells.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With the way junk yards make 10 times what a vehicle is worth these days, why are these available at a price to make them even feasible to consider? They get so much for a CVT Transmission that is out of a wreck it is crazy.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
1) Never use "Salvaged" batteries in vaping
2) Never buy batteries off Ebay or Amazon as it is to easy for sellers to sell fakes and clones
3) I do not know if Tesla themselves are making actual batteries for anything outside the 20700's they are producing for their newer cars in their own battery factory, as far as I know most of the Tesla 18650s on the market are actually Sanyo/Panasonic cells designed for low amps but massive energy density (mah) to be placed in battery packs with a dedicated Power Control Board.
4) Looking at some searches, one in particular places the Tesla 18650 at max a 4.6C in a burst not a continuous rating though the spec sheet says their Continuous C rating is 1C, they do not have the CDR to operate safely in a vaping application, especially given their highly complex chemical makeup that is not exactly clear what it is NCA (LiNiCoAlO2)

VU Sponsors