Become a Patron!

Temp control Settings for Smok Alien 220w TC mod

Hey all, I'm brand new to temp control, and I have a question on how to set it up on my Alien. I'm using a dual coil build on a velocity-style deck, with Demon Killer stainless steel notch coils (type A, 316L). Now, I understand how to set it to TC, select my desired wattage and coil type. What I don't understand is the fourth setting;

TC-SS
<0.00105>

Now, I'd assume that has something to do with the gauge of the coil, but I don't know if I should keep that at the default setting or if there's a more appropriate setting i should be entering. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's the TCR, .00105 is for SS304, set it to .00092 for SS316. ;)
Has nothing to do with guage, it's Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. Each type of wire is different.

Attachments

• qDpbMVR.jpg
    qDpbMVR.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 115
Your tip really helped out! Also, I learned on other sites, that since the ramp-up time for notch coils is practically non-existent, I shouldn't go much higher than mid-40s wattage on one of these coils.

This past weekend was awful with these coils. My wicks were literally conflagrating! (Like really. <FWOOSH!> Actual flames.) I've changed my build now; only using one notch coil, 300 degrees F in Temp Control, proper TCR setting (Thanks again!) and firing at 42 watts. My throat is now on the road to recovery!

:thanks:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I recently got the Smok alien as well and want to try Temp Control, now I have a 7 wrap 3.0 build around .14X ohm dual coil on a troll v2.. now I am using this wire Clapton Wire Spools - 36 SS / 26 SS Fused 2 Core / 25' from Lightningvapes, would I still set mine to .00092 for? as its SS? But its clapton wire... (newb to temp control) but know how to build coils for wattage mode :\

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to bump this thread, but I recently got the Smok alien as well and want to try Temp Control, now I have a 7 wrap 3.0 build around .14X ohm dual coil on a troll v2.. now I am using this wire Clapton Wire Spools - 36 SS / 26 SS Fused 2 Core / 25' from Lightningvapes, would I still set mine to .00092 for? as its SS? But its clapton wire... (newb to temp control) but know how to build coils for wattage mode :\
I'd refer back to Vapin4joy's post where they discuss the tcr. If using ss316L then the tcr is .00092. For titanium it's a different value, for ss304 it's a different value, for ss317 it's a different value, etc etc. The values are based upon the metal composition (in this case ss316L which is the metal type, not the size), not the gauge of wire or wraps etc. Extremely complex coils (staggerton stairstepped uber wolfenstein's from outer space or something) may not play nice with t.c. I'd think fused claptons should work ok.

All that aside, the temp control in general on the alien really kinda sucks in my experience. It just doesn't pulse the power fast enough to maintain steady temps. Sort of like driving a car down the highway and maintaining speed, so long as you ease up on the gas a little going downhill and increase the gas a little going uphill it should be pretty smooth. When the alien attempts it, it basically lays off the gas until the car's going uphill and dwindled to 35mph then floors the shit out of it until it's going 85, then backs totally off the gas again. Even with simpler single wire single coil builds the alien's tc has been wonky for me with tcr adjusted. It overshoots, gets way too hot, then backs off like the batteries are dead, then wakes up and hammers the power again.

VU Sponsors