Become a Patron!

Temp Control Q&A

ozsa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kingpin, but how do I know if it shuts down correctly? because when it stops too early it's pretty unusable and when it lets me vape continuously I'm pretty sure it doesn't work properly. I'd need some guidelines, how fast are the coils getting to 400-420F at about 50-60W for you guys? I'm not saying it's bad for me now (except when it shuts down way to early but still I just keep holding it and it fires again in half a second) but I don't really get why it's inconsistent.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So it's NOT suppose flash "temperature protection "? I'm running ss316l dual claptons on the goon.
My Pico does that when the TC is functioning....... it's the mod telling me it is at or above set temp...... no on mine if it goes to high above... it switches to VW. Now it also has an over temp warning.. but that is mainly for the board. As it comes when I draw too many amps or chain vape too aggressively.

So your warning could be normal...... your mod may give same warning for both situations.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here is my summation of the Big 3 TC chipsets:

If you're a tinkerer and like to control every little aspect of your vape. If you're proficient with a pc. If you like many different form factors then get a DNA.

If you you like adjusting things on your mod or via an app? Right now the app is only available for iPhones. Then get the new Yihi board.

If you want to adjust everything on your mod. If you want to tc anything (including Kanthal)or fire anything then get an FSK board.

In the end we can all speculate which board is the best. The bottom line is the best board is the one that keeps you off cigarettes and works for your personal wants and needs. I say try everything and don't pigeonhole yourself to a specific board. New stuff is always coming out.

Up and coming or under rated TC chipsets:

The VO board is available in the CKS Icon and a few other mods. It does a wonderful job in tc but it's an auto tc meaning you can not pick your wattage the mod does that for you. Normally for me that would be a con but this board is really accurate and honestly I don't mind not being able to choose my wattage on this mod.

The Innokin Aetheon board in my opinion is one of the most under rated TC boards on the market today. It does a more than respectable job with TC.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kingpin, but how do I know if it shuts down correctly? because when it stops too early it's pretty unusable and when it lets me vape continuously I'm pretty sure it doesn't work properly. I'd need some guidelines, how fast are the coils getting to 400-420F at about 50-60W for you guys? I'm not saying it's bad for me now (except when it shuts down way to early but still I just keep holding it and it fires again in half a second) but I don't really get why it's inconsistent.
Do you have a car with cruise control...... TC is the same... it let's off the gas to slow down. On off on off to maintain speed. Do you have a heater in you house with a thermostat. .. it run till it reaches heat the shuts off till the temp drops the starts back up.

I can't get used to the on off on off way TC works either.. so I use VW with a curved power profile that fires high and drops wattage over course of draw. Gives me a nice smooth even temp hit. TC without the on off on off feel. My tongue regulates the Temps instead of an algorithm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This drives me NUTS!
The only MOD that I've noticed does not do that is the Hohm Tech FSK chip. He seems to work without that on/off feel.
I will add, that my DNA board is the next best thing to not getting the on/off TC feel. He holds a steady temp and you don't "feel" the power drop.

upload_2017-3-12_12-46-56.png

Edit: I am running dual SS316L Clapton coils coming in at .22Ω in this Aromamizer Supreme tank. Same tank/setup as in the video I posted.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So it's NOT suppose flash "temperature protection "? I'm running ss316l dual claptons on the goon.

Yes it absolutely is that's when you've reached the temp you set.....your device pulses at that point to maintain temp rather than keep going ...if your not happy with that temp raise it a bit

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

I'll refer you back to my last post mate check my response in page 2 for the checks to make first

If you hate the pulsing bit which unfortunately on a Smok device is shocking then lower you ramp up to 40w or lower takes a little longer to get to temp this way ...close the air vents more and take longer slower draws, on my Smok in TC I take about 4-5 second draws as apposed to 2-3 seconds in watt mode

I was running fused claptons at the time in 316L earlier in this thread on my Smok mod
I used TCR 0.00088
Temp 490F
Wattage 40

Seemed pretty good for me there

It takes good few pulls from cold to get to consistent temp, if you chain vape literally one after the other it will be crap experience for you give a few seconds between pulls at least

As the guys have said above in last few posts DNA, FSK, YiHi chipsets all do TC far better than the Smok one it's not the best but can be pretty good if you dial it in just takes time and patience

ozsa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alright kinpin, thanks for the info. I reduced wattage to 40W and it's better now and I don't really chain vape since I use mint liquids mostly and mint is very strong, after 3 draws the cool mint burns (freezes) my soul :D I was just curious about TC because my cotton kept getting dark spots and I thought this would help with it but I found out it's rather the juice than the temp.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
What would be a good temp and wattage to use for a beast king TF v12 T12 tank on a 220w alien mod v2

You're not gonna be able to use temp control as the pre made coil is Kanthal A1 I believe ... you would need to use the RBA deck and put in your own coils using Stainless steel (or titanium or ni200)

Stick to Wattage mode on that coil ;)

Kellywells55

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're not gonna be able to use temp control as the pre made coil is Kanthal A1 I believe ... you would need to use the RBA deck and put in your own coils using Stainless steel (or titanium or ni200)

Stick to Wattage mode on that coil ;)
well actually with the alien 221 version 2 mod I am currently running the temp mode in it for it that tank if there's any possibility to have certain specs for it that would be nice it works great already having it at a deason setting I lower the ohms sitting at .7 ohms 490 degrees Fahrenheit at a 110 Watts

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
well actually with the alien 221 version 2 mod I am currently running the temp mode in it for it that tank if there's any possibility to have certain specs for it that would be nice it works great already having it at a deason setting I lower the ohms sitting at .7 ohms 490 degrees Fahrenheit at a 110 Watts

I wasn't aware there was a version 2 of the alien mod? And I'm certain the alien mods temp control does not support kanthal

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you may be thinking of the different firmware revisions, Version A and B are not interchangeable, but the mod still does not TC Kanthal. You could be running it in TC mode, but it will not actually be performing TC. Better off to stick to wattage mode there :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'm baffled and amazed.
Will twisted SS always beat the shit out of single strand SS coils in TC?

All builds got the slightly browned cotton to set the correct TCR.
All builds tested on 5 different SX350j Boxers with same results between them.
All built using as much metal as possible aiming for as close to .2Ω as possible.
All tested using Sally's rayon cellucotton wicked correctly.

Twisted dual Unk SS430 28ga @ 420F and 50J = good but too airy in 30mm Plus
Twisted dual Unk SS430 28ga @ 420F and 50J = awesome in 25mm Boreas.
...so I tried some thicker ga single strand and...
Dual 316L 26ga @ 420F/50J = calling it lame is generous in 23mm 'mizer V2.
Dual 430 26ga Zivipf @ 420F/50J = same lame result in 23mm 'mizer V2.

Same tank using twisted 28ga dual Unk SS430 @ same settings...
Glorious. The angels are singing.

I thought the 'mizer was just a crappy tank for TC.
Tried twisted Unk as the last chance and holy toledo. Same as in the Boreas.
6/5 wraps of 3mm id twisted 28ga just fits.
Clouds of tasty vapor instead of weak, barely-taste-it hits of dryness.

I tried twisted in VW mode before and it barely made any difference compared to single strand IMO.
How could it make such an amazing difference in TC?

I would say it's due to mass as I assume you used the same wattage setting between the two trials? If so ramp up was quicker on the simple wrap as apposed to the twisted

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Know whats even more uncanny? That is me that wrote that lol! EDIT: Woops, I think that is what you meant lol

And I find SS TC to be a funny beast- it works best for me as standard coils, not twisted, but a lot of people get great results with it as above. I remember at first thinking SS316 was terrible for TC!
Then SP3 come out for the DNA200, and it is now my most used wire, and I find other mods do a pretty good job with it too now.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Kellywells55

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe the tfv12 T12 tanks have the special kanthal bec mine reads and hits wonderfully as show in pic tried to send video.. Ti and SS coils are compliant with temperature control but not Kanthal. The reason why Kanthal does not allow temperature control is because this FeCrAl alloy has much more impurities than any others and does not offer superconductivity properties (a linear relationship of resistance with temperature). In fact, the electrons are so scattered by the impurities that they heat the alloy while the resistance is kept constant. Special grades of Kanthal can be used as high as 1,425°C in the industry.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No one is saying it won't fire kanthol in TC. Some mods won't. The Alien will. But it doesn't actually control, or limit, the temp of the vape. If you like the vape, then by all means, vape away. If you fry the board, well, we tried.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe the tfv12 T12 tanks have the special kanthal bec mine reads and hits wonderfully as show in pic tried to send video.. Ti and SS coils are compliant with temperature control but not Kanthal. The reason why Kanthal does not allow temperature control is because this FeCrAl alloy has much more impurities than any others and does not offer superconductivity properties (a linear relationship of resistance with temperature). In fact, the electrons are so scattered by the impurities that they heat the alloy while the resistance is kept constant. Special grades of Kanthal can be used as high as 1,425°C in the industry.

We realise the mod is firing in TC mode with kanthal coils, it just won't actually be controlling the temperature how TC should.

I have never heard it is due to impurities in Kanthal that cause this, just due to its stable resistance when heated the mod can't detect the changes in resistance to actually do TC properly.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, you are in Nickel mode- if the mod even could TC Kanthal, a closer wire would be SS, and even then it will be very far out as the resistance change is almost undetectable.

This is by no means meant to come across rudely, text can be hard to say what you mean without seeming off. It won't do any harm vaping in TC mode with Kanthal, it just won't be doing any form of TC. It could even be giving you a worse vape if for some reason it is hitting temp protect randomly giving an inconsistent vape.

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the lost vape Therion 166. I've been using it for a month without using e scribe. I hooked it up to the computer today and ran out of time to do anything, so I disconnected it. Now it doesnt work. It says evolve 250 when I press the fire button, if I press it enough it says check battery. I put 3 different fully charged sets with the same result. Please help!! Ty.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the lost vape Therion 166. I've been using it for a month without using e scribe. I hooked it up to the computer today and ran out of time to do anything, so I disconnected it. Now it doesnt work. It says evolve 250 when I press the fire button, if I press it enough it says check battery. I put 3 different fully charged sets with the same result. Please help!! Ty.
Sounds like when you loaded it on to escribe you uploaded whatever settings the software had on the screen.. One of the most common problems that cause that is have the battery set to 3 cells instead of 2 cells on a 2 cell mod. Hook it back up and see if that's what happened.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.

-William Cowper

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like when you loaded it on to escribe you uploaded whatever settings the software had on the screen.. One of the most common problems that cause that is have the battery set to 3 cells instead of 2 cells on a 2 cell mod. Hook it back up and see if that's what happened.

-William Cowper
Device monitor? Says cell 1: 3.98v, cell2:3.98v, cell 3: 0.97v. Above those it says pack: 8.93v and that has the box checked off?

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

-William Cowper
5d0c665ded2d1f3d05c92cf0481dfc70.jpg

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Device monitor? Says cell 1: 3.98v, cell2:3.98v, cell 3: 0.97v. Above those it says pack: 8.93v and that has the box checked off?
Ok but does it say 2 cell or 3 cell in the box under the mod tab?

-William Cowper

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok but does it say 2 cell or 3 cell in the box under the mod tab?

-William Cowper
It did say 3. I changed it back to 2. Do you think anything else got changed? All I wanted was power wattage mode, and ss316l TC.? Thanks for the tip

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It did say 3. I changed it back to 2. Do you think anything else got changed? All I wanted was power wattage mode, and ss316l TC.? Thanks for the tip
Im using ss316l coils from advanced. They say their tcr is 92. If I check e scribe it says their profile ss316l tcr is 0.006. Should I change It? Do I move the decimal?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Does it work now that you changed it?

-William Cowper

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It fires.....not optimum performance though
Ok now you have to tweak all of those settings to your liking. It's a PITA but you really only have to do it once and then save it.

-William Cowper

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok now you have to tweak all of those settings to your liking. It's a PITA but you really only have to do it once and then save it.

-William Cowper
I can't even get the screen settings to work correctly. Trying to get it to have ohms, temp, profile show on screen. No matter what I do it says ohms, bolts, amps. Lol. I suck at this. I wish I didn't like temp control. Smh

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't even get the screen settings to work correctly. Trying to get it to have ohms, temp, profile show on screen. No matter what I do it says ohms, bolts, amps. Lol. I suck at this. I wish I didn't like temp control. Smh
And when I hit fire, the temperature says off.....

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And when I hit fire, the temperature says off.....
You have to set it to temperature dominant on the first tab. Make sure that box is checked. You should really watch Phil Busardos youtube tutorial on Escribe. He does a great job going through everything.

-William Cowper

Swizz017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have to set it to temperature dominant on the first tab. Make sure that box is checked. You should really watch Phil Busardos youtube tutorial on Escribe. He does a great job going through everything.

-William Cowper
Oh I'll definitely watch it. I couldn't find a one before. I didn't know he did one. I'm gonna watch it now. Ty

Kellywells55

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any ideas about my sigelei T200 watt touch screen mod that isnt putting out the necessary wattage or voltage to blow big clouds or even medium clouds in power mode can someone help. I have 2 highdrain batteries brand new the mod just came in and isnt working properly

Attachments

• 1490829930999-1244346245.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 16

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your batteries are drained. When batteries drain in Sigelei mods, the mod rolls back the wattage to what the drained cells can handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Kellywells55

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Batteries are brand new just bought them yesterday fully charged because I'm very close to the managers at my vape store they are imeren 2600 mAh 3.7 volt with 50A high drain

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Batteries are brand new just bought them yesterday fully charged because I'm very close to the managers at my vape store they are imeren 2600 mAh 3.7 volt with 50A high drain
Look at the battery gauges in the top right of your screen... batteries are low. They need to be charged.

Kellywells55

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I understand that but it does the same thing when the batteries are brand new fully charged I'm charging the correct batteries that is just the batteries that are slightly charged it is doing the same thing when they're fully charged to

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand that but it does the same thing when the batteries are brand new fully charged I'm charging the correct batteries that is just the batteries that are slightly charged it is doing the same thing when they're fully charged to
What are you using to charge the batteries?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and, how long are they charging? When fully charged, do the battery bars on the mod show full, as well?

VU Sponsors