Become a Patron!

Temp control and coil questions

Caleb765

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi I recently bought the smok g priv 2 and was wondering if and how to use temp control I am running smok q2 .4 ohm coils and also how would I get less of a throat hit, does it hurt to run a lower wattage than what the coil calls for

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you can run coils at what ever you want. too little power and you may not get the best flavor, but its a matter of preference.

you run too many watts and your wick cant keep up with the juice consumption and you burn the cotton and it tastes nasty forever

i start at 20 watts and move up 5 watts at a time till i get something i like. as soon as I dont like it I back down to the previous setting
then play around in 1 watt increments both up and down to see if there is a differece

if my info is correct the q2 coil i sstainless steel
temp control requires
ni200(nickel), titanium(ti) or Stainless steel (SS or 316 or 316l or 317l or 430)

i didnt find out which version of SS is in the coil so you nee dto find out is it 316,316l 317l etc
each is different

so you have ss coils
you need to read your manual

but basicallty its usually
let the coil and everything be at room temp
then attach the atty to the mod and swicth to tc mode
the mod has to read teh resistance accurately for tc to work
then you set your temp and power

thats about it. IT can be very finicky and not work right

you need to know what type of ss your coil is and what the built in ss tc mode is for your mod
if they match no problem usually
if they dont you need to set your own tcr in the mod which you will have to look up on steam-engine.org

read your manual it has some info
even if the ss in your coil matches the type of ss for the ss tc mode of your mod you may want to set your own tcr to fine tune it

tcr is basically a measurement how much does the resistance change in the wire for every degree it heats up
the mod uses this number to guess what temperature your coil is based on the original resistance reading

Caleb765

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you can run coils at what ever you want. too little power and you may not get the best flavor, but its a matter of preference.

you run too many watts and your wick cant keep up with the juice consumption and you burn the cotton and it tastes nasty forever

i start at 20 watts and move up 5 watts at a time till i get something i like. as soon as I dont like it I back down to the previous setting
then play around in 1 watt increments both up and down to see if there is a differece

if my info is correct the q2 coil i sstainless steel
temp control requires
ni200(nickel), titanium(ti) or Stainless steel (SS or 316 or 316l or 317l or 430)

i didnt find out which version of SS is in the coil so you nee dto find out is it 316,316l 317l etc
each is different

so you have ss coils
you need to read your manual

but basicallty its usually
let the coil and everything be at room temp
then attach the atty to the mod and swicth to tc mode
the mod has to read teh resistance accurately for tc to work
then you set your temp and power

thats about it. IT can be very finicky and not work right

you need to know what type of ss your coil is and what the built in ss tc mode is for your mod
if they match no problem usually
if they dont you need to set your own tcr in the mod which you will have to look up on steam-engine.org

read your manual it has some info
even if the ss in your coil matches the type of ss for the ss tc mode of your mod you may want to set your own tcr to fine tune it

tcr is basically a measurement how much does the resistance change in the wire for every degree it heats up
the mod uses this number to guess what temperature your coil is based on the original resistance reading
So does it hurt my coil if I vape at 40 watts when it is recommended 55-65 watts?

VU Sponsors