Become a Patron!

TC - How to correctly configure my mod

Hi. I'm looking for some help configuring my temperature control mod. Here's my setup:

I have a SMOK Alien 220W TC mod.
I'm running an Aeronaut V2 RDA
316 Stainless steel wire
Coil 0.181 Ohms

I have the temp set to 195 degrees celcius right now, at 140W

Temperature coefficient is set to 0.00092

Is this setup correctly? Do i need to adjust the temperature coefficient based on my resistance? I am totally new to TC so just looking for any help.

Thanks

Drewshki

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well first of all, there is no magic number that give you the holy grail of vapes. My sweet spot might be totally different from yours.
Temp coefficients? Dude, you are way over thinking it.
Set the mod using VW to where you like it... THEN switch to temp control Which allows you to increase or decrease the temperature by a percentage until you find what gives you the best vape. Your resistance has nothing to do with it, it is the actual mass of the coil that determines how many watts you need. Resistance is only used to calculate voltage and watts. IE in a regulated mod, the 2nd controller takes your volts (4.2)x(4.2) divided by resistance = watts. (up to the max of your mod)
Note... if your resistance is above a certain point, your mod will not be able to reach max watts. I think.. it is something like 0.58 ohm.
Try the formula.. say 4.2 (squared) divide by 0.75 ohms resistance = watts.. Now try the same thing using 0.30 ohm.
That is basically all your resistance does in a regulated mod.
* Mechanical mods are different,but they are an advanced device, so I will leave that for the advance forum section *

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've given up on using the Alien's TC. I've tried half a dozen or so SS builds, and the only one that feels accurate and consistent is a single 0.7ohm 28/38 316L clapton I put in my wife's Subtank Mini, which she vapes at 400-420F with a 28 watt preheat. I prefer vaping in the 75-150W range on fancier, lower ohm builds, ie. triple-fused claptons, aliens, staggered-fused, etc. The Alien is all over the place with them. Once it reaches temp, it cuts out completely, then kicks back on with a vengeance. I've adjusted everything but the kitchen sink, and it just isn't consistent. A couple of times I thought I had it dialed in perfectly, only to put it down for 10 minutes, pick it back up and it's gone to shit again. It seems to be a common problem with SMOK TC.
I only use my two Aliens in Watt mode now. They are excellent for wattage vaping.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your settings are probably fine. Very similar to what I was using, anyway.

Your TCR is correct. 316L is usually around .00088 to .00092. Not much difference.

If it's hitting temp cut-off too quickly and cutting off completely, you can try lowering the wattage. Or raise it, if it is too slow to heat up.

That's about all there is to it on that mod. Like I said, I gave up on it, just as many others have. If you can get a good TC vape from it, please let us know how you did it. :D

Interesting, this is exactly the issue i'm having, sometimes it just doesnt heat up but says "temp protected", other times you tap the button & it shoots a ton of vape at you. The inconsistency is what made me think i was setup wrong.

I think i'll switch over to wattage again & go from there.

Thank you all for the help, this set my mind at ease :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah it's difficult to dial in found same thing on the HPriv ...when selecting temp mode take atty off before you've heated must be at room temp ...set it back on and select new coil

Try picking the manual setting are you using 316 or 316L?

Type in this TCR
0.00092 for 316
0.00088 for 316L

Put it on 480F
40w

Found it ok there ...it's important to Close air vent up on the atty more than you do in power mode take longer draws also having spaces between the coils helps for TC

Compared with a DNA, YiHi, FSK chip the Smok chips aren't great for TC in all honesty

VU Sponsors