Become a Patron!

Tauren Mech Mod and RDA - Thunderhead Creations

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i will be looking at both the Tauren Mech Mod and Tauren RDA by Thunderhead Creations. Both products were kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Vincent from Vaporl.

https://www.vaporl.com/thc-tauren-mech-mod.html

https://www.vaporl.com/thc-tauren-rda-ta...mizer.html

Introduction

The Tauren Mech Mod & RDA as far as i am aware are not yet available as a kit but i would expect it will be in the near future. The Tauren Mech Mod is made from copper or brass depending on colour option you choose and the machining and finish is quite sublime, it has a unique firing switch and looks, feels, and vapes like a high end piece of kit but without a ridiculous price tag. The Tauren RDA is made with the same quality machining and also comes in both Copper and Brass metals, the easy build Stainless Steel duel coil deck has a very interesting airflow system which will be explained in the review.

In the Box

Contents Tauren Mech Mod:

1 X THC Tauren Mech mod
1 X THC Chaining
1 X Flannelette bag
1 X 18650 adapter

Contents Tauren RDA:

1 x Tauren RDA
1 x 510 BF pin
1 x Hexagon wrench
1 x Bag of extra screw&O-rings
1 x Aluminium alloy box with 510 basement

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

Both RDA and Mech Mod come in metal tube packaging which is then placed in pouches. The base or the RDA metal packaging also acts as a stand as it has a 510 screw fitting that the RDA is screwed into. Both RDA and Mod are available in Brass and Copper versions and Brass and Copper with a black textured finish, as well as the versions i have seen listed there is a picture with a Red textured finish so other colour options will become available. I received both the Mech Mod and RDA in Copper, the RDA has a goon style Ultem drip tip and the copper sleeve has duel oval airflow slots and castle style texturing at the top. The Stainless Steel base has etched branding and safety stamps, the protruding 510 pin is Gold plated. On the sleeve we have a Tauren's head and the word "TAUREN" engraved deeply into the Copper. The Tauren Mech Mod is 26mm diameter at the bottom and the very top is smoothly tapered down to 24mm. The Mod is completely made of Copper, the front has a lot of high quality deep engraving, we have a Tauren's head towards the bottom and underneath this the serial number, mines "6655", finally coming down from the top we have "TAUREN" on the vertical. On the back we have a large curved shape that's been cut out of the copper which adds to the aesthetics. The base is the screwed in switch section which is also Copper and has an engraved shield central, moving to the top and we have a hybrid connection with grooved polished engraved curves and "THC". Both the Tauren Mech Mod and Tauren RDA are of high end quality (real works of art).

Tauren RDA Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 29mm
Material:304SS/Brass/Copper
Drip Tip:810 PEI
Connection:Regular gold-plated 510 pin and BF pin
Coils Type: Dual coils
Simple & unique 45′ building deck
Double sides with 28 micro airholes
Colour: SS, Copper Black, Brass Black

Tauren RDA Overview

The sleeve needs to be pulled off the deck with the RDA fixed to a mod, the sleeve has duel air slots which are ovals and looking inside the sleeve it has a conical inner shape. The deck has 2 sets of posts either side, the negative posts have the airflow system included then peek insulator separates this from the positive post so both posts and airflow looks like one piece. These posts and airflow sections are shaped like skateboard ramps either side of the deck. Fitting your coils is easy because of the angled post holes they almost fix into place like a postless deck they certainly have the same ease. The curve of the ramps match the curve of the coils so act as a guide to get them in position perfectly. The airflow outlets are like a cheese-grater style in the shape of the ramp so jets of air are going to hit the entire bottom and sides of the coils. The outside of the posts and airflow sections have the same oval inlets that are on the sleeve so when putting the sleeve on you need to make sure it's lined up properly. Wicking is straightforward just dangle the ends (don't over pack) in the reasonable sized juice well, looking at the design although the well isn't the deepest it still looks like the Tauren would work quite well with the BF pin. The airflow can be closed down slightly but in my opinion the design works best with the airflow lined up in a fixed position, as for flavour i'll save that for a later section.

Review continued in the post underneath

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Tauren Mech Mod Specs and Features:

Size: 26 x 92.5mm(top: 24mm)
Innovative Ball Connected Button
360°Full Contact, No Firing Hesitation
Unique Luxury Painting
Material: Copper / Brass
Battery Compatible : 18650 / 20700 / 21700
Color: Copper / Copper Black / Brass / Brass Black

The Switch

The switch section is screwed into the bottom of the device, so to fit your battery this section needs to be unscrewed. Once unscrewed you can see the top of the section that sits inside the device is Copper with raised copper contact, the surround of this section is some sort of peek insulator. Either side of the raised contact there are holes to fit something like the ends of plastic ended tweezers to unscrew from the outer section of the switch, once out you will see the threading and underneath of the section you have unscrewed is also the same peek insulator material. Central in this section that faces inside the switch we have a circular cut out section which is copper, this is for the ball bearing to go into and make contact with the Copper when firing. Looking inside the bottom section of the switch we have 4 quarter circle metal plates which when placed on the bottom form a circle, the inner of each of these plates have a 90 degree angled arc cut out so we are left with a small circular groove for the ball-bearing to sit. Finally the wall of the bottom section has a large strong spring. When the switch is together the ball bearing sits in position just before entering the upper circular copper cut out, pressing the switch squeezes the spring upwards and the ball-bearing goes inside the cut-out and makes contact, the great thing about this switch is wherever you press on the switch the device will instantly fire.

Fitting your battery

The device will accommodate a 20700, 21700 or a 18650 with included adaptor. Unscrew the switch section then put your battery inside positive down, once the battery is in place screw the switch section back into position. With the switch section back in position you can see 4 notches evenly cut into the inside wall of the device which is for venting but hopefully will never be needed.

Safety

Most people reading this will know as much about ohms law and safety as me but i still need to have this section because there's always one. Please only get this device if you both understand and follow ohms law in respect to the continuous amp capability of your battery. Always check battery wraps and re-wrap if needed, only use atty's that are hybrid safe, don't use atty's that build decks are such that you can from time to time get a short with your build and finally always check your builds resistance on a tab or accurate device before fitting your atty to the device. The biggest con for the Tauren Mechanical Mod is the fact it comes with no instructions or safety information of any kind which is very poor.

Performance

It fires instantly and the switch feels great, it is slightly indented so it won't just fire while sitting on your desk but it's very responsive. It also hits harder than anything i have experienced in the past but i do only have a couple of other true mechs to compare it with. The Tauren RDA i thought would be a flavour machine with the airflow system and indeed the flavour is good but i was surprised by the clouds it chucks out as i can't see how the cheese-grater style airflow would encourage that but that's the great thing about vaping the unexpected sometimes happens. I don't do silly builds and the build i had on the Tauren was 0.17 and the mech stayed nice and cool. The only thing i did notice is the 4 plates in the bottom of the switch fit loosely together allowing for movement and while using the device you can hear these knocking into each other which can be annoying.

High end build quality
Copper or Brass
Sublime engraving
Feels great in the hand
Comes in many finishes
Ball-bearing Switch
Fires instantly
Hits very hard
RDA matches Mech exactly
Easy to use build deck
Cheese-grater bottom/side airflow system
Good flavour
Copious cloud

Dislikes

No Instructions, No safety information
Can hear the plates moving in the switch, isn't a safety or even performance issue just a bit annoying.

I would once again like to thank Vincent from Vaporl for supplying the Tauren Mech Mod and Tauren RDA for the purpose of this review.

https://www.vaporl.com/thc-tauren-mech-mod.html

https://www.vaporl.com/thc-tauren-rda-ta...mizer.html

VU Sponsors