Become a Patron!

Tasting flavor concentrate mixes before adding PG/VG/Nic

Bill TattooVape.com

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
I searched the threads before posting this in search of an answer and couldn't find one. If this is a duplicate, my apologies.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tasted their flavor mixes before adding the PG/VG/Nic?

The reason I ask this is I am wondering if you can tell if the flavor is good or bad through your pallet before wasting PG and VG mixing a liquid.

I understand that flavor concentrates are highly concentrated and wouldn't be ideal, but I am trying to figure out if there is a way to taste these flavor mixes before going to the next step.

Thanks in advance

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No. I use small 2ml vials and I keep a bottle of unflavored PG/VG blend around. Most of the time I will just use like a single drop of flavor and 7-8 drops of liquid and I will taste that on my finger. If I'm still on the fence I'll vape a little on a naked coil in an RDA.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno. I have found that putting an undiluted flavor concentrate directly on my tongue is overwhelming and not very representative of the final flavor. Also, your taste buds will get fatigued quickly if you are tasting more than one flavor in a mixing session.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's better than straight concentrate IMHO, but just some plain old cheap PG and/or VG would be better because their inherent sweetness will have a huge effect on the flavor when you're vaping it.
For example if you were baking a cake, tasting lemon juice and water won't shock you as much as straight lemon juice. But a little lemon juice mixed with sugar will give you a better idea what it will taste like in the cake later.

Bill TattooVape.com

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Understood Jaaxx, thank you. I guess I am just trying to find a better way to test my mixes and ideas before steeping. For example I put together a Blueberry swirl mixture with vanilla, sweetener and a couple other goodies. It's been a week and the taste is very muted. I thought if I tried it before I started to steep I could have found this out sooner and worked on something else. Thanks again.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to start with a mix I think will be too strong. So say Blueberry Swirl. I might mix it at 20% at 6mg/ml nicotine PG/VG. Then after steeping awhile if it's too strong (and it will be) I can simply add some unflavored 6mg PG/VG to it and tone it down without having to steep again and without messing up my nic ratio. It is much easier to dilute than to add flavors later. Adding flavors after steeping will drive you crazy.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
you can test with water or whipped cream..

but the easiest is to try it out with just vg (in my case, allergy to pg) and find your spot with each flavor..
from there you can go on to mixing up recipes..

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I always blend a big bottle of my nic and vg (I dont use pg), at a slightly higher percentage than I want my finished product. That way, I make 5ml testers without wasting much, and taste it with the nic in the mix, which is important to me.
I always mix a little above suggested percentages, then I can dilute as needed.

Bill TattooVape.com

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
I thought about that, but I use a 50/50 blend (PG holds flavor better) and having a nic base solution would make it hard for me to calculate the correct %s.
Thanks for the input though.

Remember that most flavor concentrates are in a PG base, so steeping is for the flavors to mix too... You're gonna have to waste PG & VG, but just do small batches and steep them to find out what they're like. Although I taste my concentrates together to see if they might be a good mix, or even taste the whole mix (if there's no nicotine, of course) to get a better 'sense' of how it's going to turn out than just smelling.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
you can test with water or whipped cream..

but the easiest is to try it out with just vg (in my case, allergy to pg) and find your spot with each flavor..
from there you can go on to mixing up recipes..

lemme clear something up.. by using water or whipped cream, you only get a "flavor idea" of what it tastes like..
Juices only steep once they are fully blended. with nic, and your base mix, whatever it might be..

if you steep too long (ie: sonic, crock pot what have you) you can push them beyond the steep point and turn them nasty..
i have had it happen more than a few times.. mix and vape safe ;)

earlw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought I would try tasting a few new flavours straight ... bad idea. Whatever you do, do NOT test TFA dulce de leche by putting a drop on your finger. It's taken an hour for the taste to go away and my tongue still hurts. Thank god I stopped before I got to the Dark Vapure!

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Someone said something about whipped cream and a drop or so to test flavors?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I thought I would try tasting a few new flavours straight ... bad idea. Whatever you do, do NOT test TFA dulce de leche by putting a drop on your finger. It's taken an hour for the taste to go away and my tongue still hurts. Thank god I stopped before I got to the Dark Vapure!

The TFA Horchata Base will burn a hole through your tongue, talk about a cinnamon red hot, whew!

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I searched the threads before posting this in search of an answer and couldn't find one. If this is a duplicate, my apologies.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tasted their flavor mixes before adding the PG/VG/Nic?

The reason I ask this is I am wondering if you can tell if the flavor is good or bad through your pallet before wasting PG and VG mixing a liquid.

I understand that flavor concentrates are highly concentrated and wouldn't be ideal, but I am trying to figure out if there is a way to taste these flavor mixes before going to the next step.

Thanks in advance
Hey Bill, because I have lost a good percentage of my sense of smell and consequently my sense of taste, testing a flavor by vaping it does not work well for me, so here is what I have been doing: 1. Put 20 drops of PG in a 3ml bottle, add 1 drop of flavor with the same size dropper or pipette. This will give you a 5% sample. 2. Shake the bottle and drip 3 drops onto a small piece of white bread or unsalted cracker. 3. Place the bread or cracker on your tongue and kneed or chew it in your mouth. When your done, spit it out. 4. Write down your results. 5. Repeat process by replacing 2 drops of PG, and 1 drop of flavor in the bottle, this will now give you a 10% flavor sample. 6. Shake this mixture and put 3 drops on another piece of bread or cracker. Keep repeating this procedure until you find the "sweet spot" for that particular flavor. Note that each time you replace 2 drops of PG and 1 drop of flavor in the bottle you are increasing your flavor percentage by 5%. Hope this helps.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys,

I'm soon to be a new DIYer, and I was going to make a new thread to ask a question, but this thread covers a similar area so I thought I'd post here to save spamming a new thread.

This week I ordered all the stuff I wanted to get started - 1 litre each of PG and VG, 500ml of 72mg Nicotine, 23 flavour concentrates (11 x FA, 8 x TFA and 4 x Cap), syringes, bottles, gloves, etc. Everything arrived today.. except the PG, VG and Nicotine, which apparently could be delayed up to a week :( Really disappointing, especially since I ordered it first and chose a place specifically because I thought they were going to deliver it next day.

Anyway, my question was: can I get ahead of the game by starting to mix flavour concentrates together and leave them to steep until my PG, VG and Nicotine arrives?

This thread tells me that I certainly can mix the flavours together without adding PG/VG, but I'm not sure if it's then useful to leave them - still without any PG/VG/Nicotine - to steep on their own a week?

All the flavours are PG based so there is some PG in there. I guess what I'm trying to check is whether flavour concentrates mixed together on their own, without added PG/VG, will steep as normal and so yes it would be worth pre-mixing them now and leaving them steeping while I wait for the PG/VG/Nicotine? I realise I'll probably then still need to steep a while longer once the full amount of PG, and all the VG and Nicotine is added.

Obviously I won't be mixing large quantities, as I have no way of testing the result yet. But to begin with I'll only be mixing recipes I've found online and which I'm pretty certain I'm going to like, because they're similar to liquids I've purchased pre-made.

Thanks in advance!

TB

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Anyway, my question was: can I get ahead of the game by starting to mix flavour concentrates together and leave them to steep until my PG, VG and Nicotine arrives?

This thread tells me that I certainly can mix the flavours together without adding PG/VG, but I'm not sure if it's then useful to leave them - still without any PG/VG/Nicotine - to steep on their own a week?

they will start steeping proper once you add in the nic.. good luck!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@TheBloke, it'll certainly save you time until your nic, pg and vg come in, but as far as pre-steeping, not so much. I keep pre-mixed flavorings as time savers, for things I mix frequently. It give you a chance to familiarize yourself with the process, for sure!

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dido to what Smoky Blue and Huckleberried said. HIC set me straight about mixing flavors ahead of time. As long as you keep the ratios the same as the recipe calls for, then mix as much as you want. That way you can add more or less of your flavor mixture to the base liquids to suite your taste.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks everyone for the replies! That's great to know.

But actually, turns out my disappointment was premature! Was just sitting down today to start pre-mixing the flavours, when the door bell rang, and along came my PG, VG and nicotine! So now I have everything I need and am going to mix it all up for real. Can't wait!

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@The Bloke, you may still want to premix your flavors, that way you can still taste test them before mixing a batch.

VU Sponsors