Become a Patron!

Tank vs. Drip

OhSnap9292

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new and I just picked up the eGo one which (I believe) is a tank model. However, everyone I've talked to so far goes hard for the drip style vapes. I've read that they use far more juice though, so what are the benefits here?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personal preference.

Drippers use more juice, more battery, more money, more time. They also make bigger clouds, can taste better, and for those that care, look cool. Most people that visit these forums use RDA's.

Tanks, except some subohm tanks, use less juice, less battery, less money, less time. Tanks can be a bit finicky but decent ones work pretty good and the vapor and flavor is usually good enough to keep most folks satisfied. Most people, outside of these forums, use tanks.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't forget the airflow difference.
Sucking through a coffee stirrer vs sucking through a McDonalds straw.

Although newer sub ohm tanks being released by many companies are breaking the tank stereotype of less vapor, less air flow, and less juice usage.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I first started I was using an evod kit that utilized small, portable tanks that needed very little maintenance. I wanted something convenient that I could grab quickly and puff on while trying to quit smoking.

After a bit I upgraded to a better battery, and upgraded my tanks to nautilus mini's. Better flavor, held more juice, better airflow, but still convenient and easy to use.

A bit further down the line I started building my own coils, but stayed with tanks as I wanted to hold enough juice to get me through a decent period of time before needing to add more.

Now that I've been off cigarettes for over six months, vaping has become less of a necessity and much more of a hobby. Due to my lifestyle, two jobs, always on the go, in the car a ton, I still prefer my tanks. But I also own two drippers and am looking to add another shortly. I use these at home, mostly.

The point I'm making is twofold. As someone getting started, why are you vaping, and where will you vape the most? Second, as you progress, your interests will change, and you will most likely begin upgrading regardless of what you start with now. If you are vaping to quit smoking, set yourself up for success. The ego one is a nice choice for a convenient on the go vape.

Drippers will most definitely use more juice, and mostly afford a great deal more airflow which will provide you much larger clouds in the end. But you need to get familiar with building to get there. Concerning flavor, the atomizer you choose is really only 1/2 the battle. How you build your coil and how you wick that coil goes a long way to getting good flavor. My two lemo drops get phenomenal flavor, and they are tanks. I like them so much I've ordered two of their successors.

Good luck!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own a few tanks and tried many more.
None of the tanks come close in vapor production to those RDAs designed for clouds and none of the tanks come close in flavor to those RDAs designed for flavor.

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Myself, I prefer tanks.

I install my coil and wick assembly, fill it up, attach to my APV and I am set for most of the day.

Drippers you are always fussing with.

And your eGo one battery as nice as it is, just does not have what it takes to use a dripper.

What I would suggest is that you slow down a bit as you are new, get used to the gear that you do have before you start spending a lot of money on a complete set of new (and more expensive gear) and start the whole process over again.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Imo, the newer Sub Ohm tanks use more juice then dripping does....If you are new Id stick with something a bit easier to use then either of those until you start to understand how whatever does what.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I keep seeing this "vu members are cloud chasers/RDA users" over the past week.
Have I missed some high accuracy poll?
I have every type of device and I use my subtanks over drippers 99% of the time.
Capacity, the ability to put in my pocket, my car, whatever just keeps dripping as a novelty to me.
Subohm tanks I can fill and vape for a day.
Drippers I can use for 10 minutes, overfill, and make a mess. Or not, and burn my cotton. Some perspire.
Please ignore the ramblings of a newly turned 40 man.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have every type of device and I use my subtanks over drippers 99% of the time.
Capacity, the ability to put in my pocket, my car, whatever just keeps dripping as a novelty to me.
Subohm tanks I can fill and vape for a day.
Drippers I can use for 10 minutes, overfill, and make a mess. Or not, and burn my cotton. Some perspire.
Please ignore the ramblings of a newly turned 40 man.

Lol BumbaClot! I have drippers, Reos, tanks, subohm tanks, RTAs. 99% of the time I use either a Subtank mini (with RDA) or a Kayfun! I have no patience for drippers except for testing DIY juice!

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I'm new and I just picked up the eGo one which (I believe) is a tank model. However, everyone I've talked to so far goes hard for the drip style vapes. I've read that they use far more juice though, so what are the benefits here?
Lots of rambling and opinion in this thread, not really answering your question. In a nutshell, drippers (RDAs) offer the ability to totally customize your vape. You have control over the amount of flavor, vapor, airflow, and heat. All of this comes with a short learning curve of building your own coils and proper wicking techniques. In using an RDA, you sacrifice:
  • Time - Fiddling w/ various builds
  • Money - RDAs require higher powered devices, batteries, tools, etc.
  • Convenience - Dripping can be a pain at times (while driving)
If you're looking for a happy medium, RTAs (Rebuildable Tank Atomizers) may be the way to go. Convenience of a tank, but you still have some customization options. More limited than an RDA of course, but there are always trade-offs.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lol BumbaClot! I have drippers, Reos, tanks, subohm tanks, RTAs. 99% of the time I use either a Subtank mini (with RDA) or a Kayfun! I have no patience for drippers except for testing DIY juice!
Yeah I still need to try my mini and v1 RTA. I have a ton of OCCs but I definitely can't get the blueberry coconut smoothie out of it vaping out vaping Samoas.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer drippers for vape quality. Some newer rtas and clearos nay chuck the clouds but no way can give you the flavor of an rda. Youre sucking right off the coils in an rda while in a tank dystem it has to travel through a chimney. Imo thats where flavor is lost.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Could just be me but I get flavor changes from different drip tips. Chuffs I taste hot plastic, pt mini 3 I taste metal a lot, Nautilus mini and kanger sub's taste the most neutral to me. I change wattages for flavor but know a guy who never does for flavor but only for heat when drinking.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats why i prefer to use the mutation x v3 without the drip tip.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Actually, I said "most". I believe that's accurate reading threads like "how much juice do you go through", "what's your everyday mod" and etc.. Most VU members use RDA's. Personally, I have two RDA'a that collect dust. I vape my two Nautilus tanks exclusively.

Likewise, out in the real world I see more tanks than RDA's.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In the real world i see a lot of ego style batteries.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Drippers don't always use more eliquid than tanks. It really depends on the atomizer they are using and how long of a hit they take. Dual coils use twice as much as single coils, subohm burns hotter and go through eliquids faster. Dripping on a single 1.5 ohm atty wouldn't use more eliquid than vaping on the same atty with a tank. The tank would perhaps use more since tanks can leak and have a larger surface area waste when emptying and cleaning.

Look into bottom feeders as well if you are checking out all the vaping alternatives. More like dripping but the eliquid comes from squeezing a bottle below the atty rather than dropping eliquid drops from a separate bottle by hand.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think what prompted me to post was another post saying most vu members are cloud chasers.
It stands to reason that other than DIY juice people, most Vapers aren't going to spend all of their time reading about vaping and just vape, just like most smokers just smoke and don't sit on smoking forums.
They did put the cloud chasers in a corner!
You would guess most people used mechs a year ago but from reading the last 5 months regulated box mods are the majority.
In those "hand check" replies most people aren't going to reply at all, and specifically not if they are using something the majority consider mainstream or not showy. My 2 cents.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You need a regulated box that pushes more than 100 watts effectively to mimic what a mech does. Me personally im getting an sx mini m class i heard in dual battery mode you can hit 120 watts. Sigelei 150 box does nothing for me. SEems after 75 or so watts it doesnt push what it says its pushing. Check out busardos review on it. Ive tried hitting a .2 build on it once at 90 watts and it didnt do what my mech does.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need a regulated box that pushes more than 100 watts effectively to mimic what a mech does. Me personally im getting an sx mini m class i heard in dual battery mode you can hit 120 watts. Sigelei 150 box does nothing for me. SEems after 75 or so watts it doesnt push what it says its pushing. Check out busardos review on it. Ive tried hitting a .2 build on it once at 90 watts and it didnt do what my mech does.
Heh?
A regulated mod at 100W (assuming it delivers what it's supposed to) is equivalent to a mech with a fully charged battery at around 0.17 (with voltage drop) and most people don't go that low anyway and if you use a mech at 0.5 a 40W regulated mod is just fine.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heh?
A regulated mod at 100W (assuming it delivers what it's supposed to) is equivalent to a mech with a fully charged battery at around 0.17 (with voltage drop) and most people don't go that low anyway and if you use a mech at 0.5 a 40W regulated mod is just fine.

You just resaid what i said and added the 40 watt bit. For subohmers there is no box mod yet worthy of putting the mech down, the sig 150 is no exception. Hopefully the sx mini m class will be, for me anyway.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I now have 2 single18650 mech mods and a 120w Tesla dual box mod. They hit like a swarm of pissed off bumblebees. My E-Grip does everything I need.

OhSnap9292

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I would suggest is that you slow down a bit as you are new, get used to the gear that you do have before you start spending a lot of money on a complete set of new (and more expensive gear) and start the whole process over again.
Yeah, I wasn't really looking to upgrade anytime soon, it was really more of a curiosity of mine really. Every person I know who vapes uses an RDA model but I started with a tank and when I asked them what the difference was, all they could tell me was "personal preference."

Lots of rambling and opinion in this thread, not really answering your question. In a nutshell, drippers (RDAs) offer the ability to totally customize your vape. You have control over the amount of flavor, vapor, airflow, and heat. All of this comes with a short learning curve of building your own coils and proper wicking techniques. In using an RDA, you sacrifice:
  • Time - Fiddling w/ various builds
  • Money - RDAs require higher powered devices, batteries, tools, etc.
  • Convenience - Dripping can be a pain at times (while driving)
If you're looking for a happy medium, RTAs (Rebuildable Tank Atomizers) may be the way to go. Convenience of a tank, but you still have some customization options. More limited than an RDA of course, but there are always trade-offs.
Thanks for the quick, condensed answer, this helps me a lot!

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got a hex ohm v2, havent used a mech since i got it. While technically a vv device, it hits like a dual batt mech.
so much for that.

VU Sponsors