Become a Patron!

Tank/Mod for 100% VG DIY Newbie?

uncledave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,

I'm new here and new to vaping with a mod/tank. I'm very sensitive to PG so I'm doing the DIY VG route, which I understand is awesome - with the right gear. So, gear heads, please chime in with your experience.

First, let me say I'm planning on cutting the VG a bit with distilled water as has been recommended. Second, I'm vaping to stop 20 years of tobacco use, not just for kicks. Third, these are what shops have recommended with the Sigelei as a last resort - so that I don't blow my face off, apparently. Finally, with the new regulations, is this even a wise investment?

Which (or what else) do you suggest?

A - Joye eVic-VTC Mini with TRON Tank
B - Kanger KBOX Mini TC 75W Mod with Toptank Mini
C - Sigelei 90W PLUS with Uwell Crown Tank (too advanced?)

Thanks for the help!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kanger and most other "entry level" stuff will likely have issues with the thick VG juice, they may have some option but what you're looking for is something with nice big juice holes.

Coming from smoking I'm going to assume you're more of a Mouth to Lung(MTL) type of guy? (suck into your mouth then inhale what you have collected there) The opposing being Direct to Lung(DL) where you just breath it in. Different setups are going to suite different styles. Unfortunately I just don't know of any MTL based tanks with stock coilheads that can handle VG @Huckleberried, @Whiskey these two might know more or at least another name that might be able to help in that area.

For Direct to Lung the Crown Tank is a solid option, there are things that do this that or the other thing better, but for something simple, effective, and priced extremely well, it can't be beat. With it though, yes you're going to want at least a 75w mod and probably 100w. These mods, there's tons of them. Cuboid is a great one as long as you're not trying to get too crazy with power usage or low resistance, stick to the .25Ω Crown coils or higher and you'll be solid (I can get into why if you want). The Cuboid is cheaper than the Sigelei is why I mention it... or at least if you order online which is recommended if you're looking to save money. The downside of the 2 battery option is you're going to want to buy a good external charger (~$20, not required but recommended) and then the batteries (~$6 each from somewhere like Liionwholesale, only ever buy Sony, LG, or Samsung batteries!). If you don't go with the DL options MTL will likely take much less power and not need a higher powered mod, like I said it's just a question of finding a factory made option (when you make your own coils you can make a lot of things work, but that's a big jump).

As for regulations, well, I haven't read or even attempted to read that novel of garbage, but yes it's still worthwhile. I have read the commentary from people who have combed it over, basically It's not going to go away, it's just going to get more expensive and you'll have less options. Also likely internet sales will take a hit. There will still be money to be made, and companies will find a way to make it work, just probably not a lot of them.

uncledave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks @JERUS , that's a great help. Yes, MTL by habit here but I am willing to compromise. I've smoked hookah since before it was a thing. It's different but certainly not a deal breaker. I'll look at the Cuboid. And thank you for the tip on batteries!

Whether MTL or DL, I"m not too concerned. My main concern is about what I've read regarding dry hits with heavy VG. If vaping DL gives me more options, I'm in.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A - Joye eVic-VTC Mini with TRON Tank
B - Kanger KBOX Mini TC 75W Mod with Toptank Mini
C - Sigelei 90W PLUS with Uwell Crown Tank (too advanced?)
I only have experience with the eVict VTC Mini. I'm not hearing very good things about that tank, though. I ordered only the mod when I got mine. I do hear many people successfully using a higher VG for MTL vaping, though it's more common in tanks more prone to DL. I'm a high PG vaper, I have a sensitivity to high VG.

Tanks for MTL that I think should work, that have ready made coils for them would be a Eleaf GS tank. You can adjust the airflow to suit your preference. The Toptank that you mention may also be suitable. Kanger also makes several sizes of Subtanks with adjustable airflow. Sense Herakles is a good tank, too.

Since you plan to thin your VG with DW, you should be ok for the most part, but many tanks can have issues with keeping up with wicking. If you think you might be into building your own coils, your options may open up quite a bit. If you plan to use a tank with more OPEN airflow, you'll have even more options.

I like rebuildable coil tanks lately, but ready mades have come a very long way.

To answer another question you had about regulations... NOW is the PERFECT time to start shopping for it. We don't know where we'll stand over the next couple of years. The selection available now, is the best we've seen as vapers.

uncledave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks @Huckleberried

Since you plan to thin your VG with DW, you should be ok for the most part, but many tanks can have issues with keeping up with wicking
Yes, I hear proper wicking is the main issue with VG. Does airflow have something to do with that?

Honestly, I think building my own coils is probably out of my league at the moment. Though, if supplies don't become regulated, I'm sure I'll be in that club in the future.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Aspire Cleito works well with high VG. I bought one recently, because I have a friend who found the Crown too much, and she loves it!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is good info. I now have a comparison to share!! Thanks Amanda.
And you can get the RBA head for future use, which is the best I've found for a tank that takes OCC coils (although it reduces the juice capacity to a tiny amount)!

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The Nautilus-X ws designed to for 80VG...Don't chain vape too long and it should be fine

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi @AmandaD , is this Aspire Cleito RTA system what you're talking about? Would I have to build my own coils with this? Also,what kind of mod does your friend have with her Cleito? Thanks for the tips everyone!
Naw, you can still buy the coils premade, but this thing allows you to build your own coils easily if you want. Replacing factory heads can be a pain that's why they make these type of things. So if you want to fiddle with making your own coils, or in many cases if you know you can do it better, you have that option.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi @AmandaD , is this Aspire Cleito RTA system what you're talking about? Would I have to build my own coils with this? Also,what kind of mod does your friend have with her Cleito? Thanks for the tips everyone!
She bought a Pico (just the mod, not the tank) to go with her Cleito tanks. No, you can just buy coilheads for it: only 2 choices though, .2 and .4, but we both prefer the 0.4. But you can use pretty much any mod with a 510 connection! There's a separate little unit available to buy if you ever want to build your own coils - also a fatter glass tube to hold more juice!

uncledave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok... I think I got it. So if I got that Cleito RTA, I could buy pre-made coils (heads?) but I could also make my own coils in the future if I wanted? Best of both worlds or am I missing something?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok... I think I got it. So if I got that Cleito RTA, I could buy pre-made coils (heads?) but I could also make my own coils in the future if I wanted? Best of both worlds or am I missing something?
Basically no RBA kit (that adapter type thing to make your own coils) is as good as a true RTA (tank specifically designed for your own coils) but they are very good once you figure them out. But, that's why there are pure RTAs, they can simply give you more room that way. So not best of that world, but a very nice step into that world.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, you can buy the RBA separately. I've had a bunch for different tanks, and all are horrible - but this one is surprisingly good!

Waltheraustin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Madcow vape suggested I buy kanger for their Maxvg. Sure hope it works but worries now after reading the post above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waffle Baron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Im using the Innokin Cortex with the Isub S tank and vape mostly 100% VG, usually have to change my coil out every 2 weeks or so. Have a friend who uses the Innokin Coolfire 4 with the isub V with max VG and he loves it so he says. He was actually the one who talked me into the Innokin and I am not disappointed. I have a Kbox 200 with the Toptank, but it seems to go through coils faster than the isub tank. My 2 cents anywho and good luck :)

VU Sponsors