Become a Patron!

Tank changing juice color.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK what chemical reaction is going on here?
I have a fogger I picked up with a stillare from the same vendor.
I just ripped the fogger apart to check something and noticed the plain VG mix I put in to test the build has turned a shockingly bright pink on the wicks.
I popped the top of the unused out of safety concerns stillare and those are a deep red and pink also.
the concerns on the stillare are shit stripped pot metal posts, flaking copper paint when it said as per their web site copper post.

WHAT in the fuck? what is seriously going on her reaction wise that is going to turn clear juice pink and red?

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the same thing happening to my fogger. cant figure it out for the life of me. I believe my ohms are sitting about .6, and I'm not taking long pulls off of it.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you wash it and soak in in alcohol before using?

From e-cigreviews.com:

'Title: Re: Liquid changing color
Post by: Nick OTeen on December 06, 2010, 05:31:58 PM

Freebase nicotine is a very reactive chemical, and it will tend to change colour in solution (which colours it turns depends on what it's mixed with, though pink is typical in PG, and yellow in PEG.) Different flavouring compounds can also contribute to colour changes, though the main agents of reaction are light, heat and exposure to free oxygen.

It's a purely cosmetic factor IMO - I don't believe much (if any) nicotine is delivered as freebase in vapour anyway, since it will react immediately in the presence of the heat generated by a glowing filament (quicker than you can get it into your lungs.) This is probably why we don't get as much of a head rush from vaping as from analogs (analogs do a pretty good job of preserving the freebase, because they use ammonia to crack it, and it's inhaled in micro-globules of tar in a stream of oxygen-depleted air, that's already passed through the combustion zone at the tip of the cig. In comparison, you're sucking fresh, fully-oxygenated reactive air into your ecig, to mix with very hot, vaporized nicotine.) It would be hard to design a better way to degrade freebase nicotine if you tried, but we know from experience that vaped nicotine is still satisfying
smiley.gif

For best storage conditions, keep it cold, keep it dark, and keep it airtight. But don't worry if it darkens - you'll still get the same nic buzz, and the flavour isn't unduly affected. I have some nearly year-old old cinnamint on my desk (deliberately exposed to ambient light and heat in a bottle half-full of air,) that's now black, but still tastes fine and delivers the same nicotine 'hit'. A similar vintage of menthol is still only very slightly pink, while vanilla is bright red, and rhubarb crumble is deep brown.'

VU Sponsors