Become a Patron!

Switching to sub-ohm, but too hot?

Hi all,

I wouldn't say I'm brandnew to vaping. Been vaping my Istick20watt for about half a year now. Decided I wanted to switch over to sub-ohm (no idea why, just something different I guess? and secretly a desire for cool clouds :D). So I bought a Vaporesso Tarot Nano starter kit (with vapo tank) and use the 0.3 ohm coils. Got wattage set to about 37. Automatically I tried to inhale mouth to lung (as this is what I'm used to) and realised the vapor is really quite hot. Then took it directly to the longs, again still hot. Have tried airflow on all the way open and halfway. I'm slightly paranoid about the temperature and don't want to inhale too much because of it. Is it normal that the vapor is this hot? I'm just so used to the cool vape. Anybody else experienced this and is it something you just get used to?

Thanks in advance! And if you need any more deets just let me know :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sub ohm is a warmer vape. You can try lowering wattage, but you're really not gonna get much more than air out of it if you do. Air flow wide open might cool it some, but takes away from flavor, especially at low wattage. A more restricted air flow will be warmer with more flavor. Generally speaking, higher ohms at lower wattages make a cooler vape.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all,

I wouldn't say I'm brandnew to vaping. Been vaping my Istick20watt for about half a year now. Decided I wanted to switch over to sub-ohm (no idea why, just something different I guess? and secretly a desire for cool clouds :D). So I bought a Vaporesso Tarot Nano starter kit (with vapo tank) and use the 0.3 ohm coils. Got wattage set to about 37. Automatically I tried to inhale mouth to lung (as this is what I'm used to) and realised the vapor is really quite hot. Then took it directly to the longs, again still hot. Have tried airflow on all the way open and halfway. I'm slightly paranoid about the temperature and don't want to inhale too much because of it. Is it normal that the vapor is this hot? I'm just so used to the cool vape. Anybody else experienced this and is it something you just get used to?

Thanks in advance! And if you need any more deets just let me know :)
If it came with a different coil also maybe you should try that one.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU. Have you tried lower watts? If you have and it didn't help you...you could try the .5 EUC ceramic coil for a cooler vape (this coil should have been included with kit). The .5 EUC clapton could be used at lower watts as well.

Thank you Teresa and Letitia9 :)

And EMusic/Letitia, I did switch out, but not much difference in coils. Came with a 0.4 clapton one (same make I think) and put in one of the extra ones I ordered which is the 0.3 one. Can always try and order the 0.5 ceramic ones if you think that'll give a cooler hit?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My Tarot Nano gets a little warm but never uncomfortably so. I tend to vape at higher wattages tho (60 watts on the Nano).

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Element Vape offers .6 EUC ceramic/ss coils that would be the best for cooler vape. 7.95 5pk.

Which coil do you use then @EMusic ? On it it says 35-40 watts, so assumed I shouldn't go higher. I'd say mine is uncomfortably hot, but still getting used to it so maybe it's that.

@Letitia9 sadly I live in the Netherlands and those don't seem to be available but currently eyeing up the Vaporesso EUC 0.6 ceramic coils so guess that'd be pretty equal?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Landy I'm vaping on the 0.4. It recommends 40-50 watts but I vape comfortably at 60 watts.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. Sub-ohm is different than MTL for sure. Did you try lowering the wattage. Try 25 - 30 watts and move up if you don't think it hits well. Whats printed on the coil is only a suggestion not a rule. Find what works for you and enjoy. It's new and different to you so there will be a period of both adjustment and some experimentation necessary. What works for you is what works for YOU and any of our suggestions are just that...suggestions.

EDIT; I like a cooler vape myself and often vape below a coils recommended range.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape DL sub-ohm using stainless steel coils in temp control mode so I can properly control the temp of the vape. Not a lot of drop in coil tanks offer ss coils (more should) so I generally use RTA/RDA. The only sub-ohm tanks I have with ss coils that I use once in a while are the joyetech cubis and cubis pro but they are prone to spit back, especially with the 0.25 ohm notch coils.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape DL sub-ohm using stainless steel coils in temp control mode so I can properly control the temp of the vape. Not a lot of drop in coil tanks offer ss coils (more should) so I generally use RTA/RDA. The only sub-ohm tanks I have with ss coils that I use once in a while are the joyetech cubis and cubis pro but they are prone to spit back, especially with the 0.25 ohm notch coils.
Definitely the best comment on this thread! I don't know why it's only you whose mentioned temperature control, I definitely think this will help.
If you don't wanna go into rebuildables try the ud athlon tank. It comes with ss coils & that way you'll be able to control the temperature an try a cooler vape.
I also recall that a ss coil came with my tarot nano, if not you can definitely get them! Mine came with a ceramic coil and a ss one but alot of reviews say a ceramic coil doesn't come with it so that threw me a bit. It gives some really good flavour for a pre made coil tank though. Don't give up on it!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What nicotine level are you at? With a sub ohm unit you want to be at 6 mg or lower.
I know people who sub ohm 18mg, depends on the person! Like everything else in the vape world it's subjective. Personally I use 3 - 6mg though an I was a heavy chain smoker so don't really know how people use that high of a strength.
I mean I went through 3 or 4 packs a day

@vapemesilly only 3mg. I switched from smoking to vaping, started at 11mgs, but realised even at 6 it was a bit too burny/harsh. Enjoying the 3mg and hoping to go down to 0 even. And thanks all so much for your help, what a great community. I don't know anybody here who vapes (still not a big deal yet in NL, but getting there) so it's hard to get advice.

I'll definitely look into a coil with a slightly higher ohm (but as far as i know 1+ is too high for a sub-ohm vape right?).

Been practising more this evening and it's been going better. Think it's just a big deal for me getting used to straight to lung. Getting some nice clouds out of it too now. Did lower the wattage to 27 though and that helped a lot! Maybe a slow build-up as I get used to it :)

@SkoldVape there is TCR on there, but is that not only used for ss/ti/ni coils? not kanthal ones? From what I read anyway you just use the wattage setting for that coil. Might be wrong ofc! Just very careful of doing it right in case I cause any damage :)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@vapemesilly only 3mg. I switched from smoking to vaping, started at 11mgs, but realised even at 6 it was a bit too burny/harsh. Enjoying the 3mg and hoping to go down to 0 even. And thanks all so much for your help, what a great community. I don't know anybody here who vapes (still not a big deal yet in NL, but getting there) so it's hard to get advice.

I'll definitely look into a coil with a slightly higher ohm (but as far as i know 1+ is too high for a sub-ohm vape right?).

Been practising more this evening and it's been going better. Think it's just a big deal for me getting used to straight to lung. Getting some nice clouds out of it too now. Did lower the wattage to 27 though and that helped a lot! Maybe a slow build-up as I get used to it :)

@SkoldVape there is TCR on there, but is that not only used for ss/ti/ni coils? not kanthal ones? From what I read anyway you just use the wattage setting for that coil. Might be wrong ofc! Just very careful of doing it right in case I cause any damage :)
Kanthal is only for wattage mode yeah but there are ss coils available for the tank your using. If lower wattage works for you though stick at it, some people just like a cooler vape. I've come accustomed to a warmer vape. A year or go I would of said no freaking way. For many years I was MTL. It's just trial and error till you find what works for you but a tarot nano kit is a very good first sub ohm setup.
I started with an innokin apex an coolfire iv plus & the flavour was no where near as good!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some folks that switch to direct lung setups don’t inhale hard enough. If you don’t flow enough air over the coils they’ll overheat. Hit it like you mean it. ;)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @Landy and if what my Google search revealed is right they should offer .5Ω SS316L coils. So if you have those coils use TC and that will be the end of Hot Vapes. Just my opinion or suggestion. Good Luck

Welcome @Landy and if what my Google search revealed is right they should offer .5Ω SS316L coils. So if you have those coils use TC and that will be the end of Hot Vapes. Just my opinion or suggestion. Good Luck

Yeh I saw some of those. Can't even get 0.6 in Holland, would have to order form UK. With SS coils what temperature would you suggest it's set to? and thanks for the tip!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With SS coils what temperature would you suggest it's set to? and thanks for the tip!

It all depends on the coils and what MOD you are using @Landy because I vape with .5Ω coils anywhere from 360°F to 500°F with different tanks and MOD's. There are a lot of factors that determine the sweet spot.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all depends on the coils and what MOD you are using @Landy because I vape with .5Ω coils anywhere from 360°F to 500°F with different tanks and MOD's. There are a lot of factors that determine the sweet spot.
I'd always say start at 300 an work up

germs95

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome!

Any update? You still struggling to get used to it? Because when I started vaping, I sub-ohm too, .5 - .6 ohm and I had the same problem with you, a bit hot, but the more I vape it, the more I got used to it

VU Sponsors