Become a Patron!

switching from AA batteries to 14500-safe to stack?

Anyways, saw this one on vaporjoes
%24_5722.JPG

for $8.95. I was thinking of getting it, but using 14500 batteries instead of AAA. The 14500 is the same size as the AA but is 3.6-4.2 volts instead of the 1.5 volts of the AA. So would it be a problem to use the 14500? Is it safe to use two 14500's (around 7-8 volts), and would using three 14500s (around 11-12 volts) be too high/risking explosion?

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Play around with your favorite ohm law calculator and decide for yourself. Two 14500s would leave you an open circuit, so you are looking at building coils for a 14.6 V (3 batteries in series) box. You would need to build them of adequate resistance to keep them within the amperage rating of a single 14500 battery. For example: a 1 ohm coil is going to require 14500 batteries stable at a 14.6 amps. I don't know 14500 battery specs but I'm doubting a 1 ohm coil is going to be safe. A 2 ohm coil will require 7.3 amps and you're getting in the realm of maybe - again, I'd need to see the spec sheets.

My point is that the amperage load is NOT distributed by batteries wired in series ... rather, the load applies to each cell in the set. It's an interesting idea and might produce amazing results - if you are prepared to the greatly increased risk of catastrophic failure. If you try it, be prepared to rewire the mod 'cause you'll be tripling the power delivery from its design spec.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In short, stacking 3 14500's is asking for trouble. You'd need a 5 Ohm or higher atomizer to be safe.

VU Sponsors