Become a Patron!

Suspecting my XTAR MC2 is faulty

cloudniners

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If i'm not wrong.. it turns green from red when the battery is done...
but i notice it takes an extremely long time to charge...
Then, upon pulling my battery out and putting it back in... it glows green...
Which meant it was already fully charged but it still remained red...
I started the charger first then i placed my batteries to start the charging process...
and i waited for a suspiciously long amount of time.... before i realized the fault...

How long does your XTAR MC2 usually take to charge an 18650 (BTW, i'm charging only one battery at a time and i'm using the provided cable with my PC's usb slots)

And is this abnormal behaviour?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There are a few things here.

1) Your PC port might not be providing the full 500mA the charger needs. Do you know if it's a USB, USB2, USB3 port?
2) Even if everything is working properly and you have a full power USB port and cable, it only charges at 500mA. So if it's discharged assuming a 3000mAh battery that's something like 6-8 hours to charge.
3) The charge tapers off at the end so if it's almost charged, like within an hour or two of being done, it's very possible if you pull it off and put it back in it'll read as "close enough" and won't charge it. So that would potentially explain why it's not charged but then reads as charged.

How long are we talking when you say "extremely long time"?

This would be made a lot easier if you had a multimeter or way to read voltage on the battery and could see what it actually says.

cloudniners

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are a few things here.

1) Your PC port might not be providing the full 500mA the charger needs. Do you know if it's a USB, USB2, USB3 port?
2) Even if everything is working properly and you have a full power USB port and cable, it only charges at 500mA. So if it's discharged assuming a 3000mAh battery that's something like 6-8 hours to charge.
3) The charge tapers off at the end so if it's almost charged, like within an hour or two of being done, it's very possible if you pull it off and put it back in it'll read as "close enough" and won't charge it. So that would potentially explain why it's not charged but then reads as charged.

How long are we talking when you say "extremely long time"?

This would be made a lot easier if you had a multimeter or way to read voltage on the battery and could see what it actually says.

About 7 hours.... using an 2500mah 30amp battery.... i notice it's actually fully charged... it just doesn't glow green... it remains red... until you remove and place it back in.. only then it will glow green...

Which is quite weird... as it is supposed to be green when your batteries are fully charged...

cloudniners

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
About 7 hours.... using an 2500mah 30amp battery.... i notice it's actually fully charged... it just doesn't glow green... it remains red... until you remove and place it back in.. only then it will glow green...

Which is quite weird... as it is supposed to be green when your batteries are fully charged...

I'm also concerned that it might over-charge my batteries....

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
OK, leave it in more like 9 hours and see if it turns green. Again like I said, the way the charger works is it charges most of the way at full speed then at the end it starts charging really slowly to get the little bit more charge in. If you pull it out and put it back in while it's in the slow charging phase then many times it'll just say it's fully charged. I think that's what's happening.

And no it shouldn't over charge your batteries. If it was overcharging it probably wouldn't turn green when you put it back in.

This is why I like digital chargers, they actually tell you what they're doing, you don't have all this guesswork.

BreSha6869

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My VC4 does this when the plug and walwart aren't completely plugged in properly. Ie if the plug is out of the socket a few MM it will go wonky like you describe. Not sure if that is the case with yours, but something to check.

VU Sponsors