Become a Patron!

Super Typhoon Hagupit hitting the Philippines

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a shout out to the folks in the Philippines who are in the path of this vicious deadly storm. There are a lot of Modders over there, and wanted to let our Brother's and Sister's know our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Quoting from the weather channel "On Wednesday night U.S. East Coast time, JTWC estimated Hagupit's maximum sustained 1-minute wind speed at 180 mph, putting it in a tie with Super Typhoons Vongfong and Nuri in October as the most powerful typhoon of 2014."

The Typhoon is expected to make full landfall Saturday.

typhoon.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas L

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
damn... hopefully this doesn't become a disaster... praying for the best

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No!!! Not the new Sony VTC Battery Plant they just opened!!!!:eek:

In all seriousness, I hope this isn't as bad as it looks. Hope people can find safety. Will be keeping an eye on it.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
damn... hopefully this doesn't become a disaster... praying for the best

I don't see how it couldn't become a disaster with loss of life. The time I lived in Virginia we had a hurricane where there was 90mph sustained winds for at least 5 hours straight. Knocked down big trees everywhere. We had to chainsaw our way out of our road, 11 inches of rain overnight, spawned tornado's, people's homes crushed by falling trees, power was out for 13 days. Power crews came in from 5 different states...etc...

This Typoon is double the wind speed I experienced. The seas may rise 6+ feet above normal during the storm surge, which means severe flooding in lower lying areas, couple that with a massive amount of rain. I fear for the worst, but hope for the best, but won't be pretty any way it goes.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good thoughts & prayers go out to all the folks in the path of this storm.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This wicked looking infrared sat picture was taken yesterday at the storm's peak. Just read it has died down a bit with sustained winds of 135 to 155. Expected to cross directly over Manilla. They are predicting it will lose strength the closer it gets. Lets hope so.

These People have had enough...

"Super Typhoon Haiyan made landfall on November 7, 2013 in Samar Island in the Philippines as the strongest landfalling tropical cyclone ever rated by the Joint Typhoon Warning Center--winds of 190 mph. Haiyan left 7,300 people dead or missing in the Philippines, destroying about 1 million houses and displacing some 4 million people. Leyte Island's city of Tacloban (population 200,000) suffered the greatest casualties, thanks to a 20+’ storm surge."

hagupit-viirs-dec4-ir.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No!!! Not the new Sony VTC Battery Plant they just opened!!!!:eek:

In all seriousness, I hope this isn't as bad as it looks. Hope people can find safety. Will be keeping an eye on it.
When you've got a typhoon that was a super typhoon a few hours earlier, all bets are off. The sustained wind speed is just incredible.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I shall pray for all the souls in that storm's way. On a less significant note.....most Philippine mods come out of Cebu, which appears to be out of harms way.

VU Sponsors