Become a Patron!

Sucralose warning (Again?)

Iv3shf

Member For 4 Years
Didn't see it anywhere else so, as I already said, I'll write about it.

It's ages that all DIY'ers know about it, ages that people talk about the fact the Sucralose it's not exactly healthy even if used for food...: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=yjoh20 and https://draxe.com/artificial-sweeteners/

A study on the subject, dedicated to vaping hasn't been done, here we go with the link to the complete study published a couple of weeks ago:

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1021/acs.chemrestox.9b00047

As more of those studies like this are published more knowledge we have and more choices on what to do with it, we have ( A thing that smoker don't have..) this is important for us to improve and make our vaping healthier.

Let's cut a long story short and let's briefly have a look at it with my summary below

They practically say that increasing the sucralose percentages on a 1.2 Ohm, 20W e-cig test device (have a look at the full study for details) at different percentages sucralose degrades and starts forming aldehydes; Propanal, acetaldehyde, glycolaldehyde, and acrolein:

sucralose.PNG

The diagram shows that at 0 percentage there are no aldehydes formation, below the exact percentages when at 0.10mol%

formal.PNG

There are a few consideration that have to be made about this study, but I'll have a look at those later.

So what's the deal?

What I'm worried about it's not that this study can be right or wrong, but the fact that the medias will jump on it and use it against us.. Let's hope for the best.

The other thing I would certainly be worried about is the "Off the Shelf" e-juices, unfortunately all DIY'ers know that manufacturer have happily used sucralose in their mixes without caring if healthy or not, but at their selling figures, the best thing to do is ask, or check the label, if the mix they are buying has sucralose and at what percentage, hardly think a seller will do that and I don't know of many.. (e.g. Charlie Noble does)

We all know that sugars are not exactly healthy for vaping and serious DIY'ers steered away from Sucralose ages ago (At least a couple of years we talk about this thing) and changed it to alternatives like Stevia or none at all, there are quite a few ways to avoid the use of Sucralose.

But I don't want to create an alarm but give the correct information (or what I think it's a correct information) so all VU users can decide by themselves.

Flavour manufacturer usually dont 'use sucralose in their flavours, let's have a look below at TFA's flavour specsheet link:
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx

If you "list" the flavour and look at the compounds, you'll rarely see sucralose to start with (you won't see Strawberry and the like, probably externally sourced) where do we see Sucralose? In their Sweetener:
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/componentlist.aspx?sku_search=342300

At what percentage??? <5%!! Let's go back and look where is that 5%l (0.05mol%) so even vaping a straight flavour (that none of us would do!) the aldehydes formation is extremely low!

But (I know that I will sound like Monty Python) if that 5% is in the flavour itself, what are we doing with it?? Vaping it straight! No chance! Are we diluting it? Aaaand, if we dilute the flavour, at what percentage will our final percentage be?? Veeery low!!...Therefore???? She's a duck!

I know it sounds silly, but clearly we'll be very low, so the sucralose wouldn't degrade at whatever temperature (unless we are stupid and burn the wick, but we'll have a nice draw of Acrolein..)
So this is one of the things that from my point of view this study hasn't even thought about, scientific innit??

But even flavour manufacturer (some of them..) are playing clever..
E.g. my friends at Capella, with their Super Sweet that apparently is made of : Sucralose, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.... Now you know.. your choice..

But there are people that really care about us, and they make flavours dedicated to vaping not taken only from the food market..

One of them is definitely Flavorah, they made a sweetener not made with Maltodextrin, Fructose or Sucralose, it's clearly a trade secret, @Smoky Blue will be able to confirm this (she's very close to FLV).

I know that there are quite a few things we could argue about this study, if correct or not, things like adding sodium bicarbonate, and things like that, but the fact is that mixers usually stay away from sucralose!
Some use it but in the range of 0.25% 0.5% or make their own, diluted usually at <2% not even 5%.

Unfortunately not good news for non-mixers, but it's what makes us different from smokers, we have the knowledge and we can make a choice.. they don't!

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
But there are people that really care about us, and they make flavours dedicated to vaping not taken only from the food market..

One of them is definitely Flavorah, they made a sweetener not made with Maltodextrin, Fructose or Sucralose, it's clearly a trade secret, @Smoky Blue will be able to confirm this (she's very close to FLV).

I know that there are quite a few things we could argue about this study, if correct or not, things like adding sodium bicarbonate, and things like that, but the fact is that mixers usually stay away from sucralose!
Some use it but in the range of 0.25% 0.5% or make their own, diluted usually at <2% not even 5%.

Unfortunately not good news for non-mixers, but it's what makes us different from smokers, we have the knowledge and we can make a choice.. they don't!

The studies and research I know of, were done at the lab level. I am not sure if they brought in vapers, but they did use a few mixers.
Yes, the sweetener named sweetness is a trade secret, I have zero knowledge on the compounds and molecular structure of it, but it is the best I have found in vaping. I can talk forever on the additives and flavors @Flavorah has released so far, and looking forward to the next batch of soon to be released this summer! :)

I wish others were more aware of what they put into their juices and the potential to have a hot mess with what they use.

You should post this on the other site, if you haven't already :)

Iv3shf

Member For 4 Years
No I didn't coz we all know about it, but you could be right, the latest post about sucralose is three years old.. will do!

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Great info @Iv3shf! I have never been one to use a lot of sweetener in my mixes, but when I do I only use FLV Sweetness. Good to know that there isn't sucralose in it. I hope that juice vendors see this info and adjust their recipes. Maybe post a link to this thread in the DIY area so mixers who don't wander out of there will see it.

Iv3shf

Member For 4 Years
Thank you @gopher_byrd , feel free to post the link ( I hate self promotion..) I already put the link in the presentation post and don't want to spam all forum sections..
Doubt that vendors change policy for this and I think they should already know about it, nothing new.. after aspartame you've got Sucralose..

VU Sponsors