Become a Patron!

Such a thing as a tank that DOESN'T leak?

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OMG I'm so sick of throwing my money away. Currently have TWO Melo III tanks. One's on Smok Alien and one's on Eleaf iStick Pico Mega. Both are leaking from the air flow slots. Not a lot, not all the time, just when I am nowhere near a tissue.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It might not be so much "leaking" but condensation build up.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
OMG I'm so sick of throwing my money away. Currently have TWO Melo III tanks. One's on Smok Alien and one's on Eleaf iStick Pico Mega. Both are leaking from the air flow slots. Not a lot, not all the time, just when I am nowhere near a tissue.
Are you getting your coils from a reliable shop? The Atlantis coils are not really known for leaking issues.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I buy my coils from vapenw or myvaporstore almost always. They're made by Eleaf. They're different resistance. No matter what, every tank I've owned has some sort of leak issue. The Melo 2 didn't, the airflow was at the top. It became nearly impossible to open the darned thing to change the coils and it was about a year old so I figured it was time to switch. I purchased the III because I could not find another 2 anywhere. The other one came with the Pico Mega.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
What's the PG/VG of your juice?

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Currently 70vg/30pg, but this happens with 50/50 also.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I asked to make sure you weren't using something with a higher PG... PG is thinner and tends to leak more. But 70VG should be working fine.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't know how new you are to vaping so I'm gonna ask... when you are filling the tank... you are not putting juice down the center hole, are you?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OBS Engines don't leak. Not even when laying flat on a table for an extended time.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies. I've been vaping quite awhile. First started back when they were skinny like a pen and you had to drip a few drops at a time, lol. Stopped after going back to analogs and have been vaping for two or three years. Vaping only since May 2016.
Thanks for the suggestion, Khassy, but I am not building (yet).
The first time I ever had any leakage issue was with Kanger subvod, and only when the coil was needing to be changed. I've been using these two current tanks for 1-3 months and this is just starting up.
It's frustrating because I never know when it's going to happen, I think I've found a decent tank and don't have to worry about it, then, bam, juice all over my hands.
No, the device is not bouncing around -- well, hardly ever. I work from home and they sit on my desk. I carry them right-side up in my purse or in my hand when I take the pooch out.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the replies. I've been vaping quite awhile. First started back when they were skinny like a pen and you had to drip a few drops at a time, lol. Stopped after going back to analogs and have been vaping for two or three years. Vaping only since May 2016.
Thanks for the suggestion, Khassy, but I am not building (yet).
The first time I ever had any leakage issue was with Kanger subvod, and only when the coil was needing to be changed. I've been using these two current tanks for 1-3 months and this is just starting up.
It's frustrating because I never know when it's going to happen, I think I've found a decent tank and don't have to worry about it, then, bam, juice all over my hands.
No, the device is not bouncing around -- well, hardly ever. I work from home and they sit on my desk. I carry them right-side up in my purse or in my hand when I take the pooch out.

You don't have to build. You can by pre-built coils and just screw them into place.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks, Khassy. Good to know! I've got to check that out closer.

Stuff like this. Then you just stick cotton in the coil to wick it and you're good to go. MUCH cheaper than the factory coils and very, very easy to do.

geekvape_2.jpg

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Are you saying you've been using the same coil for over a month? If so, that's the problem. Factory coils are really only good for about 2 weeks (depending on use/juice) before they should be replaced. The cotton burns down over use and this will cause leaks.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stuff like this. Then you just stick cotton in the coil to wick it and you're good to go. MUCH cheaper than the factory coils and very, very easy to do.

geekvape_2.jpg
I know I need to get with the program, LOL. I need to see if my local vape shop guy will show me how.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know I need to get with the program, LOL. I need to see if my local vape shop guy will show me how.

It's really easy. There's about 3 million videos on Youtube that show you how. Just find one that addresses the particular tank you have and watch it a couple of times. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm about as dumb as a brick. :)

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's really easy. There's about 3 million videos on Youtube that show you how. Just find one that addresses the particular tank you have and watch it a couple of times. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm about as dumb as a brick. :)
LOL! I don't want to be one of those new stories about the device that blows up is all.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
LOL! I don't want to be one of those new stories about the device that blows up is all.

Not much chance of that. Those incidents are caused by idiots mishandling batteries, like putting them in their pockets with coins, without a case.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All tanks leaks given the right conditions. You'll read everywhere that this or that tank is leak-proof, but that's just not true. It's just that whoever wrote it hasn't subjected it to the right conditions yet. If you want to know whether a tank is truly leak-proof, put it in a bicycle pannier and go for a ride: I guarantee you it won't stay dry no matter the brand/model :)

The problem is, tanks hold the liquid by vacuum - i.e. the air pressure in the tank is lower than the outside air. If you upset the balance, the liquid escapes. That can happen if you leave the mod in a hot car (the air inside the tank warms up), in a plane (the outside air pressure drops too fast when the aircraft climbs), when you tilt the mod and uncover the juice holes (the pressure equalizes). Depending on the coil head, or your own build if you use an RBA base, the cotton prevents the liquid from escaping more or less fast until the vacuum is restored.

If you use an RDTA or a Genisis, the problem is reversed: there is no pressure difference between the tank and the outside air (since the deck is above), but if you tilt the device, the liquid escapes by gravity.

You can mitigate the problem by using a tank with top airflow, such as the Wotofo Sapor: that little thing is as close as it gets to being leak-proof. It's not that it doesn't leak per se, it's just that when it does, the juice doesn't readily drops through the air holes and stays in the chamber.

Tanks leaking is why I drip.

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Khassy, Hmm, I ordered the OBS Engines SUB, which is not what you referred me to. Oops. It's supposedly the same, just sub ohm and atomizer heads. They're only $5.50 for three. I do LOVE that the airflow is on top. I can't understand why they're all not that way.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Khassy, Hmm, I ordered the OBS Engines SUB, which is not what you referred me to. Oops. It's supposedly the same, just sub ohm and atomizer heads. They're only $5.50 for three. I do LOVE that the airflow is on top. I can't understand why they're all not that way.

Pretty much the same as the regular Engine. They work really well and are easy to use. I hope you like it.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Calista
my guess to your issue is this
since it started after using it a while
the number one reason for leaks is ORINGS
there is possibly a worn down oring in your atty somewhere allowing the juice to leak
look for the orings and see if you got extras and change them

Calista

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
O-ring issues qould cause the airflow holes to leak? I'm not sure there are any leading to that specific area. My Target mini with Guardian tank has never leaked and has the best flavor. The tank is just so darned small. Airflow is at the top.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
O-ring issues qould cause the airflow holes to leak? I'm not sure there are any leading to that specific area. My Target mini with Guardian tank has never leaked and has the best flavor. The tank is just so darned small. Airflow is at the top.
sure can, like someone else said a vacuum is needed. a bad oring somewhere breaks the vacuum then leaks form somewhere the airflow is the place of least resistance

DebbieNY

Member For 4 Years
No matter what, every tank I've owned has some sort of leak issue. The Melo 2 didn't, the airflow was at the top. It became nearly impossible to open the darned thing to change the coils and it was about a year old so I figured it was time to switch. I purchased the III because I could not find another 2 anywhere. The other one came with the Pico Mega.

The Melo 2 does NOT have top airflow, it's top (side) fill with airflow at the bottom. My favorite Melo is the V2, because I think that one has better flavor than the V3 and my favorite fill method. Yeah, those are getting harder to find, sadly.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors