Subtank RBA wicking, My Way

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Underground Vapesters,
This is my very first post, so a little background, I have been smoking cigarettes for 20 years. Finally decided to try vaping, started with ego chinese garbage from smoke shop. This I thought was not the answer for me, anyway long story short finally picked up a subox mini starter kit and I freaking love it, especially the RBA section. I just had one problem. Even though I am using what I feel is a pretty premium juice(Glas) I take longer draws and would get an off taste. My solution to this has worked amazingly well for me and I hope maybe it works for one of you.

So deck built using supplied coil, I cut my strip of cotton supplied with the kit, remove outer batting material from both sides, work the cotton out so it is nice and fluffy and almost stretched this enough to see through it. I than proceed to roll it semi loose and push it through the coil. Pretty straight forward right, so this is where I differ, instead of cutting off the cotton ends to look like a bow tie I left it long, took the barrel for the RBA that slides over the deck(the piece with the tiny screw and juice holes) and threaded either end of the cotton through the juice holes from the inside to the outside of the barrel. Use supplied screw driver to fluff every thing up and reassembled RBA. Prime the new cotton, and place in tank making sure that the cotton coming out of juice holes is fully inside the tank. Now instead of just 2 juice holes, my wick ends are sitting outside of the RBA just swimming in e liquid.

Sorry so long, I can upload pics tonight after work if it would help anyone. Hell this may have already been covered a hundered times, but thanks for listening.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just threa the cotton in the coil. Slide the barrel on top pull the wick ends up cut them off and push them into the chamber. Put the chimney top on and install tank. No problems ever. I just find the subtank doesn't have enough air flow.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ hustlaz, no spitting but that has never been a problem for me. Do you have gurgling while you are hitting your vape?
@Eric DeCastro yeah, it worked fine doing it that way for me also, my thing is I vape a 45 watts and sometimes pull a dryhit. With more wick, more surface are to soak juice.

hustlaz

Member For 4 Years
@iiKryptic Not so much gurgling, but unless I really really pack the cotton, i get hot juice spitting into my mouth. Not pleasant.
How wide do you cut the cotton before wicking? Do you peel the top layer off the cotton like I've seen some do, or leave it as it?

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so lets troubleshoot this, Are you using RBA section or coil. What watts? Is there any juice present in the vent holes on the bottom of tank? I only fill my tank up to the unpainted mark on the chimney. Unscrew tank from box, remove coil or RBA section, unscrew that from the 510 base so you can see down into where the adjustable air flow holes are. Take Q-tip or twisted up paper towel and clean in there and also run a paper towel through the chimney. If all else fails take a pipe screen and cut it to diameter to just fit under your drip tip, this will at least help with the spitting.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also the cotton I cut is maybe a half inch wide, maybe less. I remove the top and bottom padding parts to only leave soft cotton. Stretch it out and than roll it up. check this for better tut..

hustlaz

Member For 4 Years
tried your wicking method out yesterday. Was slightly difficult keeping it fluffy while screwing it onto the rest of the tank (wick kept being pushed down onto the threads - but managed to do it.
Works really nicely - no more spitting or gurgling!
Thanks!

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Underground Vapesters,
This is my very first post, so a little background, I have been smoking cigarettes for 20 years. Finally decided to try vaping, started with ego chinese garbage from smoke shop. This I thought was not the answer for me, anyway long story short finally picked up a subox mini starter kit and I freaking love it, especially the RBA section. I just had one problem. Even though I am using what I feel is a pretty premium juice(Glas) I take longer draws and would get an off taste. My solution to this has worked amazingly well for me and I hope maybe it works for one of you.

So deck built using supplied coil, I cut my strip of cotton supplied with the kit, remove outer batting material from both sides, work the cotton out so it is nice and fluffy and almost stretched this enough to see through it. I than proceed to roll it semi loose and push it through the coil. Pretty straight forward right, so this is where I differ, instead of cutting off the cotton ends to look like a bow tie I left it long, took the barrel for the RBA that slides over the deck(the piece with the tiny screw and juice holes) and threaded either end of the cotton through the juice holes from the inside to the outside of the barrel. Use supplied screw driver to fluff every thing up and reassembled RBA. Prime the new cotton, and place in tank making sure that the cotton coming out of juice holes is fully inside the tank. Now instead of just 2 juice holes, my wick ends are sitting outside of the RBA just swimming in e liquid.

Sorry so long, I can upload pics tonight after work if it would help anyone. Hell this may have already been covered a hundered times, but thanks for listening.
Obviously GREAT idea, 'never though of doing that ! Just hasn't occurred...

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I'll give it a shot when the TFV4 coil is toast. Still haven't got around to rebuilding the pre-made tri-coil yet...

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@hustlaz tha'ts awesome you got it sorted. The flavor from these new improved sub tanks is incredible.

VU Sponsors