Become a Patron!

Sub Tank coil life, how's yours?

I got the sub tank a few days ago and can't go 24 hours without having to replace the coil or rebuild it! I've used 2 1.2ohm coils on my SVD and 1 .5 ohm coil on my mech. I can't afford to replace coils everyday and if I wanted another rebuildable, I could've gotten a nicer one. I've seen a few people say the coils last them a week. With cotton inside of them, I can't dry fire and clean them like I could with the older silica wicked coils. What's weird is when I build coils on my Russian, those usually last 2-3 days before getting burnt. I can't imagine how this particular deck would cause my own built coils to burn faster. I also put juice on the cotton, then fill the tank and let it sit for 5 minutes before using it.

How's the coil life on yours? Any tips for getting them to last longer?

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the sub tank a few days ago and can't go 24 hours without having to replace the coil or rebuild it! I've used 2 1.2ohm coils on my SVD and 1 .5 ohm coil on my mech. I can't afford to replace coils everyday and if I wanted another rebuildable, I could've gotten a nicer one. I've seen a few people say the coils last them a week. With cotton inside of them, I can't dry fire and clean them like I could with the older silica wicked coils. What's weird is when I build coils on my Russian, those usually last 2-3 days before getting burnt. I can't imagine how this particular deck would cause my own built coils to burn faster. I also put juice on the cotton, then fill the tank and let it sit for 5 minutes before using it.

Maybe the juice you're using is too high VG and it's not wicking properly?

That would make sense. It's 50/50. I always buy juice from the same place in town though. I got 2 30ml when I bought it and have used only those in it. The lady that got my juice order usually handles the register. I've never seen her make juice. She made it for me this time and I almost walked out the door with 18mg, when I had asked for 12. She made me some 12mg, but perhaps she messed up something else when she mixed it. It draws up pretty easy in my syringe though. Maybe I should try some different juice.

I would think that high VG juice is something that would be commonly used in a tank system that has such low resistance coils though. Thanks for the idea! Love your signature text too :)

Woody_

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Been running the Subtank for 2 days now. Max VG 6mg. Its great on the single hole airflow setting at 23W. Since Max VG is thicker, I stay with a tighter airflow.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@nevarDeath, you can actually rewick the subtank OCC wicks. It's pretty easy, I've been doing it recently. It takes a little time to figure out how much cotton to use when you rewick it, I've done it about 3 times now, but I don't see myself buying anymore coils anytime soon. Watch this video from Vapor Trail:

Skip to about 2:00 minutes.

As he shows / says, make sure you twist it up really good and slowly pull the cotton out while twisting. It takes problably 50-100 revolutions of the coil while slowly pulling and twisting, but it'll come right out. Then you grab some Organic cotton, and make a fine point and just thread it through.

Watch the video, he does a really good job of showing you how to do it. I'm still trying to figure out the thickness / amount of cotton I should use when I rewick it. I used too much the first time, and too little the 2nd and 3rd times.

Try it out and let me know how it goes.

Good luck,

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use the rba head and the coil lasts just as long as it does in any of my drippers or Orchids....indefinitely.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the rba head and the coil lasts just as long as it does in any of my drippers or Orchids....indefinitely.

Really? I have yet to try out the RBA on mine. Haven't wanted to mess with unscrewing the top and all that stuff, but now I might have to!!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Really? I have yet to try out the RBA on mine. Haven't wanted to mess with unscrewing the top and all that stuff, but now I might have to!!
In terms of design and functionality, it is basically a smaller Kayfun deck. You wick it exactly the same way...snug but not tight...wick tips just making contact with the juice deck, but NOT touching the channels. Bear in mind, this is on the Mini.....I hear that the 25mm SubTank is another matter completely.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am only getting 3-4 days on the .5 coils. After that there is a clear loss of flavor and vapor is weak. Additionally I am having a horrible problem with the positive lead cutting into the bottom rubber grommet. It's casing the ohm/volt fluctuation and a short. I have to spin the grommet.
Like anything I've dealt with when vaping, when it works right it's awesome. When it doesn't work right it sucks.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nevar... I don't know how else to say it, but you're doing it wrong bro. The Subtank is a very simple coil with cotton, there's no magic here. The proof is only getting 2 to 3 days on a Russian, which tend to last forever if you don't burn em. The fact that you're burning cotton on both the Suntank and the Russian tells me you are abusing your cotton beyond what it will take. You should never be burning cotton. If you burn a cotton wick once, do something different and try again... don't do the same thing and burn it the same way again. I would really suggest trying a higher VG juice since VG seems to do better with high heat and burning wicks than PG does. Please try a 70 or 80VG and see if that makes a difference for you, otherwise back down the heat (voltage/wattage) and just learn where you can safely vape to not burn the wick.

If you really need the higher voltage/wattage that you already know will burn a cotton wick, you could use silica or ready xwick and that would solve the problem also. You won't burn those wicking materials like cotton. And you can dry burn them when the coil gunks or you change flavors.

Please don't take this the wrong way, most of us have been through the same learning curve. I have certainly burned my fair share of coils in my day. But if you're burning a cotton wick you're using too much heat for the amount of juice that is flowing through the coil.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Both of my .5 ohm and 1.2 ohm last on average 1.5 weeks sometimes longer. I prime the tank and ensure that it sits upright for 10 minutes to properly saturate the wicks. Are you chain vaping? You need to make sure that you give your atomizer enough time to feed the liquid. The juice your using and the power output also play a role. These are good coils and should not be burning out within 24 hours. Make sure that they are properly tightened and saturated. Prime your tank and take slow pulls.

I'm reading this because I'm having the exact same problem. I thought there coils were supposed to be better but they only last 24 hours instead of 1-2 weeks like the aerotank coils. I use 70/30 pg VG or 50/50. I use 1.2 coils at an avhlg of 13 watts. Idk what to do because that is rediculous, these could are more expensive to. I'm sorry to say I don't have any advice. I just want you to know your not the only one. I read purple on here saying they get a week or more and I would kill for that, I'm not sure how they do it.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
food for thought...
the .5's say 15 - 30 watts and the 1.2's say 12 - 25 watts
maybe try vaping the .5's at, say, 22 watts and the 1.2's at 18 watts...
noticed you said you use the innokin svd, which is only capable of 15 watts...could be 15 watts is causing the issue...
do you have anything that can provide a higher wattage to those coils?
i know im reaching here and mostly thinking out loud...

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One OCC coil lasts me a week to a week and a half.
I recently got the Ni200 OCC Coils to use the temp control on my VaporShark. .15Ω... They are incredible! They last around the same amount of time so far.

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been having similar results needing to replace every day or so about ten minutes ago I realized that the coils are just nit wicking at all. Turns out I was tightening these coils way too much which is restricting the air from coming through to re wick the coil. I loosened the coil and now I'm seeing bubbles and no longer getting dry hits

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
im getting 7-9 days each, some coils are fizzling out after 4 days, some still seem strong at 12.....kinda all over the board

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
im getting 7-9 days each, some coils are fizzling out after 4 days, some still seem strong at 12.....kinda all over the board

Yup same here.. went through 9 full tanks on the stock .5 wick that my subtank came with.. with custard too which normally eats through wicks pretty quickly..

packaged wicks are not lasting half as long.. maybe 3-4 days.. the one i just put in has been going since Sunday and it still tastes great..

this has always been the issue with Kanger coils.. its usually hit or miss type situation

Reactions: Jah

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been saving my coils in a jar, if i ever get the energy to futz with them, i might try rewicking and see how that works....most likely they will just stay in the jar till i toss them. CBA to mess around too much anymore lol.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ha
I have been saving my coils in a jar, if i ever get the energy to futz with them, i might try rewicking and see how that works....most likely they will just stay in the jar till i toss them. CBA to mess around too much anymore lol.
I have a nice collection of used Protank single and dual coils if anyone is interested. LOL I've been saving the occ coils too for the same reason.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ha

I have a nice collection of used Protank single and dual coils if anyone is interested. LOL I've been saving the occ coils too for the same reason.

same, i have a bag full of the ones you said plus a few Atlantis and nautilus coils. I sold my Aspire tanks and gave away all my tanks that use the single coil EVOD/protank coils.

I have had a lot of problems with dry hits with my subtank mini, since I vape 100% VG juices and chain vape chronically. Granted part of my problem has been my juices since I buy juice in 240 ml quantities, unsteeped; This has made it much harder to gauge flavor quality since I can't tell whether it's a steeping issue or wicking issue. For my problems with the RBA I tired several wicking methods from all over the internet, the only trick that seemed to work consistently for me was drilling holes into the RBA similar to juice channels on the pre-built coils.
As for the pre-built OCC coils, some of mine would last 1-2 weeks straight out of the package (without priming!), some would last a couple puffs before dry hits(with priming). I think there may issue with the consistency of the quantity of cotton in each coil, so that some coils are packed tighter than others. Whatever the cause of wicking issues with the coils may be, I have made every single coil I have bought last 1 week+ by running a needle or clothes pin all the way through the juice channels. It's also cumulative in effect, so if you want to increase juice flow just run the pin/needle through in another spot. The effect is very noticeable, when you take hits with or without firing you should notice more bubbles coming up, indicating juice flowing into the coil, as well as improved vapor and flavor production. And of course remember to prime beforehand, as well as take hits without firing intermittently in order to keep the juice flowing to the coil.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i can get up to two weeks before i have to change coils. Some juices not pg-vg but flavorings cause the problem as well. I was vaping cuttwood boss reserve my favorite juice and it will gunk a coil up in a couple of days and it makes the vapor taste not good

I got the kanger subox mini and tank. I used the .5 coil for about a week. Could have gone longer but decided to give the 1.5 a try. I was vaping the .5 at 30w and use a 85% vg 6 mg juice. Only gave me a dry hit maybe twice. I'm vaping the 1.5 at 18w and its doing good. The flavor is much better in it than the .5 also has a tighter draw than the .5

I have a 150 watt box mod I believe it is a dezel or something like that and I use a obs t-vct tank I am new to gaping and I don't know how to replace my drip tip cotton so I got that but I didn't even know u were suppose to change the coil I have been using the same coil it came with for about a month I just ordered a 5 pack of new coils after seeing this but I would definitely recommend this subtank to anyone buying a new one it's great 6ml tank and its top fill please give me some tips on cleaning my Vape and replacing cotton on my drip tip thanks !

Ramsay Bolton

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Received my Subtank Mini this past Monday.

Loaded up the included 1.2ohm Vertical Coil Tuesday and it started to
putter out last night (Thursday), so 3 days of heavy use (60vg/40pg / 10ml Day).

Longevity in my case is on par with those in my Protank Mini's (I's & II's), which isn't
spectacular.

Now using the included RBA. Dry burning and re-wicking seems like the best way
to go until a coil change becomes necessary.

On my kangertech subbox mini coil I so far had this one 0.5 in it since I got it 6 weeks ago with no problem im vaping on 30wts 70vg 30pg cuttwood products and no issues of burnt taste, or coil going out

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I get 7-10 days minimum but believe it or not there are fake Kanger coils out there. They do not last as long. Just saying.

I bought my subbox mini about 2 months ago. I'm still on the original coil it came with. I think it's the Ni one. The bloke who sold it to me in the shop changed it for me as we had a conversation about our preferences before I paid and bought. So he changed it for me. I just have a few hits every half hour or so. I think thats the key to long life really. Just drop back on the use. Theres no need to go mad on these. They won't burn away in the ashtray like fags will.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought my subbox mini about 2 months ago. I'm still on the original coil it came with. I think it's the Ni one. The bloke who sold it to me in the shop changed it for me as we had a conversation about our preferences before I paid and bought. So he changed it for me. I just have a few hits every half hour or so. I think thats the key to long life really. Just drop back on the use. Theres no need to go mad on these. They won't burn away in the ashtray like fags will.

In addition to trying to avoid clones, make sure that you don't have the old style, horizontal coils, which did not last very long. I find the 1.5 does not last that long, with the long MTL pulls. The 1.2 is more open, more like the 0.5 coils, of which there are many choices. While the 0.5's aren't really for MTL, they are more restrictive than most 0.5 coils. Not that the OP would be interested in 0.2, but they exist for this tank, and I found the flavor much worse than the others, therefore the likely lack of popularity.

Also, with any tank, I do more priming than the minimum required, letting the cotton saturate a half hour first, taking a few dry pulls, as gradually increasing the wattage. I've gotten a few weeks out of the kanger coils by doing that. I think using the RBA, if possible, is probably preferable to all the above.

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try the new Atom Gclapton coils. They're a little more expensive than the stock coils but they make the STM a different tank and they last longer than the stock coils.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try the new Atom Gclapton coils. They're a little more expensive than the stock coils but they make the STM a different tank and they last longer than the stock coils.
I heard they weren't very good, about the same flavor, vapor production, and even less longevity. That's very interesting. I have the subtank nano, and love the draw. Just wish the flavor was a bit better. Using the Kanger Claptons right now, but they only seem to last a couple days before flavor mutes. Not burnt, still vapes fine...just not good flavor :( Might have yo try the Atom after all.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I heard they weren't very good, about the same flavor, vapor production, and even less longevity. That's very interesting. I have the subtank nano, and love the draw. Just wish the flavor was a bit better. Using the Kanger Claptons right now, but they only seem to last a couple days before flavor mutes. Not burnt, still vapes fine...just not good flavor :( Might have yo try the Atom after all.
My experience has been more flavor and better longevity than stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Was getting 3 days on my crown...switched to a boreas and not looking back. Happy camper with the switch especially my wallet

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only use the v2 RBA desk in my STM's. A week between wicking. Go thru about 15 ml/day.

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I've heard good things about it. But I'm not interested in building. I thought the Boreas was an RTA?
the is....I'm a rookie builder got a coil jig 24g kanthal built a dual .35 coil that chucks compared to sub ohm tanks. I have used sub ohm tanks since Kanger made the really big sub tank. I've spent a lot on replacing the pre-built coils and regret it.
I loved the idea of tossing in a new coil easily on sub tanks. But the boreas comes with 2 build decks so you can have one ready and make the fast switch easily and the Re-wick the old one at your liesure

I'm not saying it's the best tank out but for the 35 dollar investment in the tank it has already saved me 8 pre-made coils....based on the time I've owned a rta

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with the Kanger subtanks and owned quite a few of them. The coils were hit or miss, they would last anywhere from 24hrs to a week. I still use one of my subtanks but only with the RBA section. I think the best remedy for the Subtanks is to replace it with a new tank.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with the Kanger subtanks and owned quite a few of them. The coils were hit or miss, they would last anywhere from 24hrs to a week. I still use one of my subtanks but only with the RBA section. I think the best remedy for the Subtanks is to replace it with a new tank.
I likes my subtank mini's. Only use RBA section. No leaks. works fine for me. Been daily vaping on one for over 6 months. Still works like the day I got it.
Good with a 27 ga 1 ohm coil in them.

VU Sponsors