Become a Patron!

Sub Ohm Nic Levels

flipthebuzzard

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

Was just wondering for those who sub ohm... What nic levels do you tend to vape?

Have you found you now make your DIY juices lower too, in order to avoid harsh hits?

I used to smoke and before i got my cloud beast would vape 12mg working my way to 6mg slowly but surely...

Now I'm vaping 1.5mg!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome Flip...You sound like you have done like most of us here have, I started with non-sub tanks at 24mg, worked down to 12, then 8 for quite a while , then started using the subtanks and I even tried building my own coils but went back to subtanks, this time around I am now at 6 and sometimes 3mg nic. Hoping to get to 3mg for good soon.

Last edited:

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started out sub ohming, and I was on 6mg for a couple weeks beforebit was just too much. Chain vaping and getting nic sick, so I dropped to 3. Been living pretty happy there for a month or so.

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tend to stay at 6 or 3, although I just got a juice order from that1vape and was able to get 7mg which I find I like in the morning for a nice wake up

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started sub ohming 3 and it was too much so I cut it with VG. I actually worked up to 3mg and drip 6mg throughout the day (like coffee time and after meals) to keep from smoking.

flipthebuzzard

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome, good to hear all. The journey to zero nic is on..... Well.. Maybe...! :)

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am at 6 and looks like i will stay there for a while.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Pretty standard 24 mg mtl starting out now 6 mg subohm. I do still use an 18 mg juice in a mtl setup when I need to remain stealthy. One or two draws will hold me a long while and not make much if any vapor. Still happier when I get back home to my usual setup.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm on a .45 ohm coil at 15 to 25 watts vaping 6mg.... which is about as low as I go unless vaping at higher than normal vaping wattage.
When I vape at higher or lower wattage ... I do adjust the nic down or up accordingly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

flipthebuzzard

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty standard 24 mg mtl starting out now 6 mg subohm. I do still use an 18 mg juice in a mtl setup when I need to remain stealthy. One or two draws will hold me a long while and not make much if any vapor. Still happier when I get back home to my usual setup.
This is a good point.

I think as I've started to really get into my DIY now i tend to find myself enjoying playing around with the flavours (which the nic definitely has some 'messing about' effect on imo)
And subsequently enjoy having an extended vape session whilst watching the tv or something, meaning that the throat hit effect builds too greatly in higher mg juices, my 1.5mg is smooth enough to enjoy those longer sessions with.

But during the working day, when that luxury is unavailable, taking in 3mg or maybe even a little more, might fit better to help satiate my nic needs with less hits/vape time.

All this leads to making a varied batch of juices, some at very low 1.5mg, some at 3mg and one or two 6mg.
Not a bad plan i think....

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ive been all over started at 32 mg in the pre sub-ohm days gradually went down not i have settled at 6 mg but may need to drop to 4 mg as lately I am Slightly Nic od'ing at times this is a new change

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Started vaping on a Nautilus mini about 2 years ago @ 18mg nicotine, Now I DIY and sub using 1.5mg typically. Part of that is the harshness of higher concentrations I suppose.. 18mg @ .25 ohms 22ga stainless would make me cough up a few vital organs I'm sure.. lol

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started just over a year ago with a Kanger Subtank Nano and Mini(same 0.5ohm coils) @12mg. Now I've moved on to bigger vapor producing tanks, and rta/rba builds, and I'm down to 3mg and lower.

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I must be a nutjob...vape 12mg - 16mg nic diy in og crown .25 (work) and aromamizer supreme .15 (home) ~20ml daily.:crazy:
You are not the only one. I'm vaping 12mg also. Have only been quit and vaping a little less than a month. Running at .5 and 30 watts so not a huge cloud and will be trying to cut NIC level at some point.

flipthebuzzard

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are definitely some vapes i make (DIY) that seem to 'handle' more nicotine better than others, I know im technically getting the amount of whatever nic level i make it in regardless, but certain bakery style juices definitely feel and taste better with less nic, my fruitier and especially menthol or mint mixes (which tend to have a fruity vibe too) can take a higher level without it effecting the pleasure of the vape.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me amount of nic is more tied to size of coil than ohm or wattage.... bigger the coil the less nic I need...... wattage and ohm Still contribute in that the higher the wattage the lower the nic I need. Ohm is the least factor..... unless we're talking unregulated vaping.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me amount of nic is more tied to size of coil than ohm or wattage.... bigger the coil the less nic I need...... wattage and ohm Still contribute in that the higher the wattage the lower the nic I need. Ohm is the least factor..... unless we're talking unregulated vaping.

My husband claims that clapton coils give more nic than simple ones. It is yet to be determined if I feel the same way...

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all,

Was just wondering for those who sub ohm... What nic levels do you tend to vape?

Have you found you now make your DIY juices lower too, in order to avoid harsh hits?

I used to smoke and before i got my cloud beast would vape 12mg working my way to 6mg slowly but surely...

Now I'm vaping 1.5mg!

I pretty much agree with @HondaDavidson but I've also found that atty design makes a difference. Generally though and within reason, with a given atty and coil/wick, higher watts will vaporize more juice per second of puff and that translates into more nic per second. Resistance isn't directly related to amount of juice vaporized, but generally lower resistance coils use thicker wire and that can mean more wire surface area. Then again, if you use the same wire and inside diameter, one with 6 wraps will be higher resistance and more surface area than one with fewer wraps so you have to be aware of the details. If you use Steam Engine, it's all about heat flux (affected by surface area) and heat capacity (controlls coil heat up time at a given wattage).

I mostly vape between 1 - 2 mg/ml nic these days when I do use nic, vaping at between 15-40 watts depending on the device and how I set it up. I use no VG in my juices to maximize TH and I put coils farther away from air holes for the same reason. I find I can get noticeable and for me adequate TH at around 20 watts with 1.5 mg juice. At 3 mg I can turn down the power to less than 15 watts with the right build, but it becomes a 'lazy' vape in that I'll take longer drags.

I can also get some semblance of TH from zero nic juice at 30-40 watts. The max PG, some menthol and a hot build really help with that. Of course, I'm pretty sure that someone who is used to 6 mg at 100 watts would find no TH satisfaction at all from this vape
yes3.gif

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I pretty much agree with @HondaDavidson but I've also found that atty design makes a difference. Generally though and within reason, with a given atty and coil/wick, higher watts will vaporize more juice per second of puff and that translates into more nic per second. Resistance isn't directly related to amount of juice vaporized, but generally lower resistance coils use thicker wire and that can mean more wire surface area. Then again, if you use the same wire and inside diameter, one with 6 wraps will be higher resistance and more surface area than one with fewer wraps so you have to be aware of the details. If you use Steam Engine, it's all about heat flux (affected by surface area) and heat capacity (controlls coil heat up time at a given wattage).

I mostly vape between 1 - 2 mg/ml nic these days when I do use nic, vaping at between 15-40 watts depending on the device and how I set it up. I use no VG in my juices to maximize TH and I put coils farther away from air holes for the same reason. I find I can get noticeable and for me adequate TH at around 20 watts with 1.5 mg juice. At 3 mg I can turn down the power to less than 15 watts with the right build, but it becomes a 'lazy' vape in that I'll take longer drags.

I can also get some semblance of TH from zero nic juice at 30-40 watts. The max PG, some menthol and a hot build really help with that. Of course, I'm pretty sure that someone who is used to 6 mg at 100 watts would find no TH satisfaction at all from this vape
yes3.gif
If I could even vape PG, this would be an option.
I would have probably been fine with 3mg, but my husband vapes 6mg and we ended up sharing because he likes minty and strong juices, but they make the heartburn.
My preference is for milder and max VG juice. He found that vaping my juice doesn't make him sick so it will do, but needs more than 3mg nic.

I will just drip some minty juice on top of my ADV if I need a TH. But I got worked to 6mg as ADV now and that is working.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would have probably been fine with 3mg, but my husband vapes 6mg and we ended up sharing because he likes minty and strong juices, but they make the heartburn.
My preference is for milder and max VG juice. He found that vaping my juice doesn't make him sick so it will do, but needs more than 3mg nic.

I will just drip some minty juice on top of my ADV if I need a TH. But I got worked to 6mg as ADV now and that is working.
You may want to ask in the DIY forum. I think there are additives or at least one, to increase throat hit without PG.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

bugalien, all that really matters is that you guys are not smoking. I like that I know I'm good little or no nic, but IMO there isn't anything wrong with nic. It's the tar and thousands of chemicals in cigarette smoke that makes smoking bad.

Vape on.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You may want to ask in the DIY forum. I think there are additives or at least one, to increase throat hit without PG.

There are and I think I've tried most of them. The pepper ones like capsicum just make me cough and if I add low enough amounts to not cough it didn't do anything for TH. I've never found anything other than what I do now that helps, but maybe that's just me. If anyone has had a more successful experience with this stuff I would love to know about it :)

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think i am just an odd case. I vape 24 mg for a wile sometimes 21 but i seem to not like going under 18mg. In on the alien 220 with a big baby tank. How long does it usually take u guys to drop ??

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think i am just an odd case. I vape 24 mg for a wile sometimes 21 but i seem to not like going under 18mg. In on the alien 220 with a big baby tank. How long does it usually take u guys to drop ??

When I switched from smoking 5 years ago I felt like reducing nic after the first couple months. I took about 9 months to go from 18 mg at about 10 watts to zero nic with more power. Stayed there for a while and then went back to a bit of nic once in a while. Everyone is different though, that was just my experience, it worked for me but as always YMMV.

VU Sponsors