Become a Patron!

Stripped grub screw out of ideas

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have stripped the allen head and I can't get it out.I have tried everything from gently tapping a flathead in it to heating it up.I can't get the damn thing out as a result I can't run duals......any ideas or suggestions would help tremendously

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's tough. An EZ out style tool could do this if you could drill into the grub screw, but they are not made this small that I know of.

What size is the grub screw?

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's tough. An EZ out style tool could do this if you could drill into the grub screw, but they are not made this small that I know of.

What size is the grub screw?
Its a m3-4mm....and I thought the ezout would work to but your right they don't make them that small

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK. Check out this chart. The 'socket flat width' for a 3 mm set screw is 1.55 mm. If you can find something made of metal that you can gently tap into that hole and have it grab you have a chance of unscrewing it. Gently is important, you don't want to burst the set screw and have it tighten up in the screw hole on you.

I have a vernier caliper I can use to measure with. A flat screwdriver at around 1.7 mm width could work well for this. A 5/64 inch allen key is a bit on the big side, but it could work too. If you have an appropriate file or a bench grinder you can make a square tool at say about 1.6 mm over the flats.

Whatever you try, go easy on it and take your time.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was a way to open Nintendo products with their screws by using a piece of plastic and melting the end into the screw hole and gently turning. Might be another thing to try if nothing else works.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was a way to open Nintendo products with their screws by using a piece of plastic and melting the end into the screw hole and gently turning. Might be another thing to try if nothing else works.

This is a really good point that I didn't think of. Another take on it is to epoxy an allen key into the set screw socket and let it harden. That actually sounds really good to me :cool:

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll give those a shot and see where it gets me.kinda worried about the plastic spoon......seams that it would be hard to get the access plastic. Vaporized plastic does not sound to tasty.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Epoxy better work! Was trying to think of something everyone has sitting around. I have not only stripped some of these screws but I think I stripped the wrench.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Stripping the wrench is what coused the stripped out screw.it started to strip and had to angle it to get it to grip.....it got worse and had to put it at a lower angle and boom stripped head.I wish I could find some philips heads to go in it

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is it a single hole positive post? Can you maybe find a replacement post that will work? I think fatdaddyvapes has them. Other places might have some too. Sounds like even if you get the screw out the post is still gonna be junk. Good luck.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No its on one of the negative post .I hopefully can get it out with out busting it up to bad. I got some replacement screws yesterday afternoon from my vape shop and my buddy tried and tried to remove it but couldn't get it to budge.I'm going to try the epoxy route if that doesn't work I'll just stick to single coils.eventually I'll get another RDA its a shame that this has happened to a freakshow

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That freakin sucks. I'll take another shot in the dark. What about maybe trying to screw it in farther so the top of the screw is below the wire hole and just using another screw on top?

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is a really good point that I didn't think of. Another take on it is to epoxy an allen key into the set screw socket and let it harden. That actually sounds really good to me :cool:

I would try the epoxy idea, If the grub screw is not too tight this should work.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That just might work.now I do have a screw that threads into the top of the screw that is stuck... If all else fails I could just use it with that screw....it would make that coil set up and at an angle.why they didn't use better designed screws is beyond me.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The tolerances between post threads and post screws being too loose seems common. All my post screws seem more wobbly than they should be. Better tolerances, quality stainless steel and longer screws (more threads engaging) could benefit a lot of our devices. Hope you get it sorted.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The tolerances between post threads and post screws being too loose seems common. All my post screws seem more wobbly than they should be. Better tolerances, quality stainless steel and longer screws (more threads engaging) could benefit a lot of our devices. Hope you get it sorted.
I agree completely..... I would pay more for quality hardware. This inconvenience is 100% preventable.and I'll update when I get back to the house after work

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
HOLY TESTICAL TUESDAY I GOT THE LITTLE FUCKER OUT!!!!!!!!! well my wife did only took her 30min.used a flathead and a file.wow dual coils in my near future:p

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are the threads in the post still good?
Surprisingly Yea they are smooth and the new screw went right in.....the old screw wasn't messed up but on the top....threads fine...weirdest shit I ever seen

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What do yoy mean file? It happen to my freakshow rda also. Thank you in advance

She took a hobby file and filed the end of the screwdriver on each side till it would get a bite on the head........it was just a tiny bit bigger then the hole for the Allen key..gave it a few taps and it came right out. Hopefully you get yours worked out

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if the rubber band trick would work, similar to the way it's used for stripped philips heads. Try placing a thin rubber band over the allen key and then pushing it into the recess of the screw head allowing the grippy nature of the rubber band to fill in the gaps and perhaps increase the bite. Epoxy or jbweld sound promising provided they don't ooze at ALL otherwise it may bond the screw to the inside of the post.

VU Sponsors