Become a Patron!

Steeping makes things awesome!

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I was always a little like "ain't nobody got time for steeping!" Then yesterday I made some fa custard and decided to try the ole crock pot method and try it in the morning trick. Tasted it this morning and wow! Steeping makes this flavor for me go from OK to amazing! Just wanted to share my 2¢ for anybody that may feel like I did! Cheers folks

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Crock pot. Can you tell me a little bout that method please

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Crock pot. Can you tell me a little bout that method please
Well I put my glass bottle in a crock pot and filed it up with water to where the juice in the bottle was . Set crock pot to 150 degrees or lowest setting for 4 hours. Once done removed bottles carefully. Let cool until morning. And there you have it. I've read about it previously but didn't really think it was worth the trouble of getting the crock pot out! Shows you how lazy I can be! But boy totally worth it.

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow. How cool. This sounds like it takes the wait out of steeping. Thanks for the info. I only have the hard plastic bottles.. but will get some glass ones to try this

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow. How cool. This sounds like it takes the wait out of steeping. Thanks for the info. I only have the hard plastic bottles.. but will get some glass ones to try this

If you only have plastic bottles, fill up a bowl for hot tap water. You want it hot, but not skin scalding. Place the bottle of juice in the bowl (I fill the water up to just below the cap on the juice bottle). Let it sit in there until the water gets to room temp. Then shake the bottle and do this a couple more times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if this would work with a gas stove.
Stove is always warm due to the pilot light.

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for that tip. Just getting started making my own juice. All this will be helpful. Thanks again

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use my furnace vent. I set a board in front and a couple boards around to make a 'hot box' and steep my juices in there. It cuts my steep time in half.
The bad news is, summer is coming and my furnace will stop running. Back to the closet I guess.

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if this would work with a gas stove.
Stove is always warm due to the pilot light.
I don't know. I might be worth a try. I don't remember the pilot getting that warm when I had a gas stove.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know. I might be worth a try. I don't remember the pilot getting that warm when I had a gas stove.
The old ones had a little 'pilot vent hole' between the burners, it didnt look hot, but would give you a blister from hell.
My grandma had one and yes I touched it.

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha! There's always one in the bunch! I never knew that. I bet that would work.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I discovered this years ago. Now i plan ahead to allow 2 to 4 weeks naturally. Really brings the flavors together.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The old ones had a little 'pilot vent hole' between the burners, it didnt look hot, but would give you a blister from hell.
My grandma had one and yes I touched it.

Mine is the same way, it can get pretty hot to touch between the burners.
Mine uses propane, so don't know if that makes a difference from other types of gas.

Often use it to thaw out rats and mice for my snakes. Put them in a bowl of hot water, stick it in the oven and let it sit using just the heat from the pilot light. After a few hours they are thawed out and nice and warm, almost feels like normal living animal warmth so would have to guess the stove is around 100F inside.

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just tasted some juice made. Week old and not bad at all. 80 vg/ 20 pg 0 nic. Jack and coke... coffee.... custard. All 3 flavors were good but custard the best.

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a cloth bag filled with rice; place in microwave for one to two minutes, wrap it around the bottle (plastic or glass). When it cools, shake bottle vigorously and repeat the process. Not as messy as using hot water, and the labels stay on. It also doubles as a tension releaver if you place the warm bag around the back of your neck.

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a cloth bag filled with rice; place in microwave for one to two minutes, wrap it around the bottle (plastic or glass). When it cools, shake bottle vigorously and repeat the process. Not as messy as using hot water, and the labels stay on. It also doubles as a tension releaver if you place the warm bag around the back of your neck.
Or if you want to get real fancy add some lavender for some aroma therapy!

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been using an actual tension reliever filled with rice to warm up my juice. I coil it up in a big coffee mug and there's room for a bottle in the center. I was afraid that might not be safe with plastic bottles so I wasn't warming it up very much (maybe 90 degrees). Just enough to thin my VG heavy juices for better shaking.

I have been thinking about using a glass bottle and a crock pot though. I like using plastic bottles and would just use the glass bottle for for the crock pot. What's the best way to wash out the glass between flavors? I don't want to use soap. Maybe hot water then some alcohol?

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just rinse with hot water. You can still smell the flavor until the new one is in. I also put similiar flavors in. Like a fruit one gets replaced with another fruit one and so on,

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just rinse with hot water. You can still smell the flavor until the new one is in. I also put similiar flavors in. Like a fruit one gets replaced with another fruit one and so on,
Thanks for the tip. Great info. I don't have a lot of glass bottles but I can classify a few for different types of juices. 95% of my mixes are fruit vapes anyway.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the tip. Great info. I don't have a lot of glass bottles but I can classify a few for different types of juices. 95% of my mixes are fruit vapes anyway.
Just a heads up... menthol really can linger in the rubber of the dropper.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I put my glass bottles and droppers in a pot with water and simmer for a while. Works really well. Just like sterilizing baby bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a heads up... menthol really can linger in the rubber of the dropper.
Good point. I do mess with menthol from time to time. I'm not planning to use the dropper though. Just the glass bottle for the crock pot, cool it off then dump into a plastic bottle. I like plastic better than glass for the convenience and 2 handed re-drips.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I found out last night that we have a small sauce warmer for dips and fondue. Plugged her up and tested the temp. 130 degrees. Mixed up my favorite DIY recipe so far (strawberry custard) and tossed it in the warmer for an hour.

From what I can tell the speed steeping took more than half of the flavor out of the juice. I'm not sure I'll be able to vape this 30ml of juice. It's worse than v1 of this mix and this is at least v20.

Maybe steeping makes some things awesome? For now I think I'll go back to the rice bag method to warm it up just enough to thin it out and shake it up real good.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I found out last night that we have a small sauce warmer for dips and fondue. Plugged her up and tested the temp. 130 degrees. Mixed up my favorite DIY recipe so far (strawberry custard) and tossed it in the warmer for an hour.

From what I can tell the speed steeping took more than half of the flavor out of the juice. I'm not sure I'll be able to vape this 30ml of juice. It's worse than v1 of this mix and this is at least v20.

Maybe steeping makes some things awesome? For now I think I'll go back to the rice bag method to warm it up just enough to thin it out and shake it up real good.

After it sits for about 24 hours the flavor should be back!

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After it sits for about 24 hours the flavor should be back!
Oh OK. Whew! That's a relief. I'm about out of CAP Vanilla Custard v2 until my big boy bottle comes in from BCV. Thanks so much Amanda!

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anybody use itc vapes for juice. I have been using them for a while now. Great juice even greater prices. It does need to steep for a couple weeks... but not bad right out of the box.

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After steeping... best juice ive ever had

bkind

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anybody use itc vapes for juice. I have been using them for a while now. Great juice even greater prices. It does need to steep for a couple weeks... but not bad right out of the box.
Yeah I have. The spoon licker v2 is some of the beat juice I've ever had!

mntman09

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My fav is the cinagram custard. I like spoonlicker also. The custard v3 is awesome too. And last but not least... the strawberry cheesecake

VU Sponsors