Steeping flavors, anyone tried it?

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So this has probably been asked before, though I havent found it.

What is the difference between steeping assembled mixes and steeping the flavors themselves?

It seems like common sense to think something like capella van custard which needs a long steep, could benefit by 'pre steeping' the flavor itself, before its used in a mix, while waiting to mix it.

Thoughts either way.....

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to heat it before using it? Steeping can be as simple as putting it in the closet for awhile and, well, the flavors already sit in bottles by themselves. A mix needs to steep with all it's ingredients after mixing. If you heat just the flavor, you'll still have to steep the mix.

You can always try it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So this has probably been asked before, though I havent found it.

What is the difference between steeping assembled mixes and steeping the flavors themselves?

It seems like common sense to think something like capella van custard which needs a long steep, could benefit by 'pre steeping' the flavor itself, before its used in a mix, while waiting to mix it.

Thoughts either way.....

I have a 30ml bottle of Capella's Vanilla Custard, made up my my 7mg/ml nic at10% that I'm presteeping before I decide what else to add to it. This way, I can make it whatever percentage I want up to 10% (realizing that lowering it will reduce the nic level - which doesn't matter to me). I've not had to do this with anything else, but I use mostly FA which doesn't need much steeping imo.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I mean is, In theory: If the flavors have already shed alcohol, oxidized, and matured before they are mixed together, they may require less steeping time once they are mixed in a recipe, which would be the ultimate goal. Basically allowing the flavors to breath and shaking once a day, just like with a normal mix.

I dont vape alot, maybe 30-40ml a week, depending on how much I rebuild my coils and rewick my rda's. Since only vaping my homemade liquid, its hard to get into a month long steeping cycle for my favorite custards to be their best. Hence, the reason for question.

Im sure it could work, but could it possibly ruin the flavors? Im not sure how it could be detrimental, which is why I ask.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From my experience, putting all the flavors together makes no difference. I mix all my favorites into ready-made bases so that when I need to make up a larger batch I can just pull from one bottle rather than many. It tastes the same regardless of whether I mix from the base flavor (all together) or indvidual bottles of flavor. Remember, 'oxidizing' only happens in the presence of nicotine.

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my book, steeping is really about the blending of flavors. Sort of like how a soup or chili "always" seems better after a day or two in the frig. So no, steeping flavors individually won't yield the same results.

I purchased a crock pot that holds 150F for this purpose -- but rarely use. Generally I have enough on hand that I just push those needing more time to the back, and with many it makes no difference.

Troy Brown

Member For 4 Years
Also, can it be steeped "too long"?
I have put up some that I just got a tad bored with, and sat it in the back of the closet in the dark, and left it there for a couple of months. When I came back to it, it tasted like crap. I figured it must have either gotten contaminated (which I am not sure how it coulkd have), or it just sat too long and went bad.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
What I mean is, In theory: If the flavors have already shed alcohol, oxidized, and matured before they are mixed together, they may require less steeping time once they are mixed in a recipe, which would be the ultimate goal. Basically allowing the flavors to breath and shaking once a day, just like with a normal mix.

I dont vape alot, maybe 30-40ml a week, depending on how much I rebuild my coils and rewick my rda's. Since only vaping my homemade liquid, its hard to get into a month long steeping cycle for my favorite custards to be their best. Hence, the reason for question.

Im sure it could work, but could it possibly ruin the flavors? Im not sure how it could be detrimental, which is why I ask.

no.. they still need to be mixed with nic and vg at least, if not nic pg and vg..

Also, can it be steeped "too long"?
I have put up some that I just got a tad bored with, and sat it in the back of the closet in the dark, and left it there for a couple of months. When I came back to it, it tasted like crap. I figured it must have either gotten contaminated (which I am not sure how it coulkd have), or it just sat too long and went bad.

yes you can over steep flavors..

VU Sponsors