Become a Patron!

Steamist: sued by tobacco, but we're still here. (an introduction)

Steamist_Adrian

Unlisted Vendor
Hello folks of VU!
My name is Adrian and I'm a manager for a vape shop in Fort Worth, Texas now known as Steamist.
Steamist has technically only been an entity for about six months now, but as a business, we are coming up on our five year anniversary this month.
This strange contradiction is due to a copyright issue that arose about eight months ago when a large shisha/tobacco company based out of California (interestingly enough their name and even their old logo is eerily similar to the USA's most well-known coffee chain) decided to sue us after obtaining a web domain as the result of a four year legal battle with someone who had bought it forever ago.

Through some digging, we discovered that this large tobacco company has sued MANY times over the last seven years. Their stack of lawsuits includes suing Hershey's and the US government. We managed to find other small vape shop owners recounting being sued by them for things like having a juice flavor called "citrus mist" among other quite generic product names.

Our personal suit reason was that the company had acquired a trademark for a small cigalike that cost about $12, and that was enough to sue us out of our company's name. This has cost us a ton of time and money due to us having to choose a new name, register new said name, get a new storefront sign, create a new Facebook losing all of our old posts and content (did you know it's nearly impossible to change a Facebook business name, and just as difficult to get a hold of a real human to address said problem?), create a new website, and change every other bit of attachment to our old name.

But we're still here, and in light of this setback, I'm wanting to establish more of a community presence among places like Reddit, ECF, and VU.
So here's a little about us:
  • In the last two years, we have won three local awards for the best vape shop in Fort Worth/DFW.
  • Our mission statement is "to make vaping accessible and affordable to everyone" as we try to cater to those from all walks of life.
  • As a result of the formerly stated, we try to carry a large selection of products that appeals to everyone, hobbyists and casual vapers alike.
  • We carry 70 different flavors of 290 Celsius, our house line of e-liquid, in nicotine strengths ranging from 1.5-18 (and of course 0), in 60ml and 120ml sizes, at prices of $15 and $20 respectively.
  • We have for years now had happy hour every Tuesday and Thursday all day, during which all bottles of 290 Celsius are $5 off.
  • All of our 290 Celsius e-liquid is covered by a guarantee that if you don't like a bottle of our juice, you can send it back as long as it is still two thirds full, and we'll send you another flavor or nicotine strength in place of it!
  • Wednesdays we have our happy hour for coils and batteries during which they are 15% off.
  • These specials are available on our website at https://vapesteamist.com on the same days.
  • Shipping via our website is free on any order! We do not, however, have the ability to sell outside of the US yet.
  • We also guarantee all of our products against manufacturer defects for the first 60 days after purchase. No having to contact the manufacturer! Just talk to us about it, and if we deem it as having a manufacturer defect you can send it back and we'll send you a replacement.
I'm going to start becoming fairly active around here in the near future here, so you should all start seeing me around. If anyone has any questions for me about our shop, or just general questions about vaping (I pride myself as being a pretty good font of knowledge), feel free to message me or ask here!

Thanks! Look forward to interacting with everyone here at VU!

Steamist_Adrian

Unlisted Vendor
A: That is super-shitty shit right there.
B: Welcome to VU!!! :)
Hahaha I would have to agree with you, and thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to VU :wave:
Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to VU and I hope the rest of your journey is better.
I appreciate it, we're hoping for the same. Our general policy is to fight through every struggle so that we can be among the ones still standing when storms pass.

VU Sponsors