Become a Patron!

Steam Crave Glaz 31mm RTA review by Mjag

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks to http://shop.steamcrave.com for sending me the Steam Crave Glaz RTA for an unbiased review.

QR3ArVR.jpg

sTAKfFq.jpg

In the box you will find:

• 1 x Glaz RTA whole unit
  • 1 x Spare 7ml glass
  • 1 x 7ml PC tank
  • 1 x Allen Key
  • 1 x spare o ring and grub screws
  • 1x Vape band
  • 1 x User manual
  • 1 x Steam Crave sticker
Getting to know the Steam Crave Glaz 31mm RTA

I am guessing since your reading this review you have heard of Steam Crave before, one of the best tank mfg's in the vape game. Not a big name in my local vape shops but when I walk in with one of their tanks or RDA's they get attention. What I really appreciate about Steam Crave is they are not the type to release a new product every month. They take their time to put out quality products and if you have owned there products in the past I am sure you will agree.

There new line is the Glaz series and comes in both a RTA which is up for review here and the RDSA (really just an RDA) that I reviewed earlier this week.

QYKUHbM.jpg

The Glaz series is a bit of a departure from there normal airflow, instead of side it is now an angled bottom airflow.

81DOUxj.jpg

The Glass RTA also features what I believe to be a first for them, a slide top refill.

u9VaJHt.jpg

Slide tops are getting more and more popular, I prefer just a normal screw off top. The Steam Crave Aromamizer Plus 30mm RTA being a great example of it, uses a huge kidney shaped opening so you can pour your juice directly from a bottle, this one not so much. With slide tops you have to be careful when putting them in your pocket or a bag, the top does not lock so it can be easily opened. I would suggest using the supplied vape band to stop that from happening.

vtVaLp2.jpg

Being 31mm is a little odd but overhang is slight and generally not a bother to me, you may get about 0.5mm overhang on most mods that are setup for 30mm tanks.

npgHTdp.jpg

Comparing to the Steam Crave Aromamizer Plus 30mm they are pretty close.

mzfCUCZ.jpg
luRdvkH.jpg

If you already own a Aromamizer Plus keep in mind the Glaz RTA is designed to have a tighter airflow. To show you how tight I have tried to close off the airflow on my Aromamizer Plus to mimic the Glaz RTA full open. Both of these are without builds which will also change the airflow.

cKu6RSw.jpg

Steam Crave did send me this video link on how to install the glass, I had already done it and had no problems but it needs to be noted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKvSLKLN44g&feature=youtu.be

The Builds

I tried a lot of builds in the Glaz RTA, both dual and single coil and here are my 2 favorites.

26g core fused claptons with 36g outer wrap kanthal 3mm inner diameter post 8 wrap in a dual coil config at 0.30 ohms. I put the exact same build in the Aromamizer Plus so I could compare.

vQp3hxA.jpg

I normally build lower for the Aromamizer Plus but wanted to see of the Glaz could dethrone the king and that build worked best on it. Flavor wise there almost identical, airflow wise not so much, the Aromamizer Plus is much airier. For me and many others the Aromamizer Plus is a flavor chucker and one of my all time favorite tanks. The Glaz is really close, I might give the nod to the AP over the Glaz but was pretty happy with both. I prefer more airflow, just a touch more really so the AP won out in the end but that is just a preference, the Glaz really does chuck flavor. The AP is more build friendly, hard to put a bad build in it but that is not the case with the Glaz, bad coil positioning and the flavor suffers, follow my build above and you will get great results. No need to go over 3mm inner diameter coils as well in the Glaz, it will restrict airflow too much, my 3.5mm ID build only lasted a tankful as the flavor was just not there.

I tried a few single coil builds, why not, it is easy to set up in the Glaz. My favorite was a big staple clapton on a 4mm post. Worked well but there was a performance drop off compared to the dual coil build above.

dsZuB0H.jpg

Wicking is pretty straightforward and trust me, you don't need too much. Just enough to enter the wicking slots and make sure it is not tightly packed, that will affect performance. No leaking problems or dry hits, one of the easiest tanks to wick.

Being a postless deck you will need to precut your leads, I used a coil jig and cut to the end of the barrel and it lined up perfectly:

rIjV0B9.jpg

So what's not to like?

The airflow, gotta get back to that. It is tight not just for a large tank but tighter than most of my 24 and 25mm dual coil tanks. It is a restricted deep lung hit, meant for flavor and it delivers but I can close down my Aromamizer Plus and get as good if not better flavor but with the option to run it wide open, definite con.

As I already pointed out the slide top could be a problem when carrying the tank in a bag or pocket, use the supplied vape band to secure it.

They do not include a spare glass chimney, would have been nice to include a spare in the packaging but they do sell spare parts including the chimney here: http://shop.steamcrave.com/7ml-glass-chamber_p0980.html

Not very forgiving on builds like the Aromamizer Plus, when setup right the Glaz RTA puts out great flavor but bad coil positioning will result in sub par performance.

When unscrewing the tank care has to be taken as well, one time I went to unscrew the tank to put it on another mod and OH NO, the tank unscrewed from the deck! Luckily I hardly had any juice in it and I noticed right away. When unscrewing the tank it is best to hold it by the airflow control ring like this:

oho9g8a.jpg

NOT LIKE THIS:

YxBZdiT.jpg

Pros:

• Great flavor when setup just right
  • Solid build construction
  • Excellent grub screws
  • 810 TFV style drip tip compatible, friction fit 810's will just slide out though
  • Wicks really well, just make sure your wicks are not tightly packed
  • No leaks with 8 to 10 builds
  • Looks beefy, I already have 2 friends who have ordered it after seeing and trying mine

Cons:

• Care has to be taken with the slide top, can easily open when in a bag or pocket
  • No spare glass chimney included
  • I would have liked more airflow
  • Not as many options as the Glaz RSDA or Aromamizer Plus though that may change
  • Only 7ml juice capacity for a 31mm tank, the Aromamizer Plus holds 10ml with the standard glass

Final Thoughts

Will the Glaz RTA replace my Aromamizer Plus? Not a chance, I love the AP, one of my all time favorite tanks. I had actually thought about giving the Glaz RTA to one of my friends until I heard that Steam Crave will probably put out an extension kit for it to up it's juice capacity. I love 30mm RTA's for the ability to carry so much juice, I can be out all day and not worry about carrying extra juice with me. The Glaz RTA with only 7ml capacity didn't allow for that, it burns through juice and found myself refilling before I got home.

If you already have an Aromamizer Plus and love it then the Glaz RTA won't retire it IMO. If you are deciding between the 2 then my choice would be the Aromamizer Plus over the Glaz RTA. Tried to convince my friend of that but he didn't want to hear it, the Glaz RTA is what he wanted. If you just love Steam Crave products then have at it, is it the best product they have put out?....No, but with the right build it is a tasty tank for sure.

To find out more info check out the Steam Crave site here, they ship out of New York as well: http://shop.steamcrave.com/c/glaz-rta-new-_0372

Check out how this stacks up to other tasty gear and meet the Steampugs team of reviewers. Your bound to have a good time and read up on some great products, not so great ones too http://www.steampugs.co.uk/

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In your opinion how would this compare in both flavor and vapor production against a Modfather?
Great question.

I have a Modfather but haven't had time to use it in a while. For cloud production the Modfather would win hands down. For flavor I am thinking they will be close, the Modfather will have the added benefit of more build options though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Great question.

I have a Modfather but haven't had time to use it in a while. For cloud production the Modfather would win hands down. For flavor I am thinking they will be close, the Modfather will have the added benefit of more build options though.

Thanks for the very candid answer. It is most appreciated.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the very candid answer. It is most appreciated.

Anytime my friend! I am here for the vape community, not for the mfg's so I try to provide all the info I wanted to see when reading reviews. I hate it when people just try a product for a day or 2 then post a glowing review, that helps no one.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like big rtas.... I'm going to get this to add steam crave stuff....
bad78f544083a34369afe6fcccb82944.jpg
499da0b65fda2af8b46c0fd238883563.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
We are big tank brothers for sure Manny, love 30mm. Got a Voltrove mini on the way based on your suggestion

Check out the fire red Aromamizer Plus I got in yesterday.

3f24591e292719783d69ba4d1122078c.jpg

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are big tank brothers for sure Manny, love 30mm. Got a Voltrove mini on the way based on your suggestion

Check out the fire red Aromamizer Plus I got in yesterday.

3f24591e292719783d69ba4d1122078c.jpg

You are going to love the baby Voltrove.... It's a futuristic design for sure.......and taste is amazingly awesome...Love the drip tip ... I like how it feels in my mom......... Man that red is nice, but I have 3 original Aromamizer Supreme RDTA, 2 of the plus and 2 Titans......
83f6021905edaca76581dfcd24a1f2af.jpg

Last edited:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man found a seller in Texas but he wants $55.00 for the Glaze....... I looks like a pain in the ass to take apart, and I carry my mod in my pocket, so the top filling opening in my pocket would not be a good thing....... So I'm still looking at video presentations until I see one that makes me push the button.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man found a seller in Texas but he wants $55.00 for the Glaze....... I looks like a pain in the ass to take apart, and I carry my mod in my pocket, so the top filling opening in my pocket would not be a good thing....... So I'm still looking at video presentations until I see one that makes me push the button.
You need to use the vape band around the slide top if carrying in your pocket. Not a fan of that personally but it is what it is. Should have the baby voltrove later tonight, thanks for letting me know about that bro!

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need to use the vape band around the slide top if carrying in your pocket. Not a fan of that personally but it is what it is. Should have the baby voltrove later tonight, thanks for letting me know about that bro!

Taking a small mod today to work.....
4a12b9b2f66603ac0c20470480e640ed.jpg

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was waiting for your review! Thanks @mjag ! :hug:

They were aiming for the restricted direct to lung, so perhaps not a con?

You said performance was not as good with the single coil but was the flavor good? Or would you say this is best used as a dual coil for optimal flavor?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was waiting for your review! Thanks @mjag ! :hug:

They were aiming for the restricted direct to lung, so perhaps not a con?

You said performance was not as good with the single coil but was the flavor good? Or would you say this is best used as a dual coil for optimal flavor?

They hit there goal with the restricted direct to lung, just feels odd to have a 30mm that has a more restricted airflow than most 24mm RTA.

The flavor popped the most with a dual coil, single coil there was a drop off. I usually check out reviews after but have been on the road a lot. Really interested to read what others think. Have you picked one up yet? Would love to hear your thoughts

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They hit there goal with the restricted direct to lung, just feels odd to have a 30mm that has a more restricted airflow than most 24mm RTA.

The flavor popped the most with a dual coil, single coil there was a drop off. I usually check out reviews after but have been on the road a lot. Really interested to read what others think. Have you picked one up yet? Would love to hear your thoughts

No I haven’t picked one up yet. I was waiting for your review :D
I’m still debating whether to get one or wait for their 24mm one, I think a single coil version of the Glaz RTA.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I haven’t picked one up yet. I was waiting for your review :D
I’m still debating whether to get one or wait for their 24mm one, I think a single coil version of the Glaz RTA.
Whoa, didn't know about the 24mm single coil version, that sounds like a winner. Do they have an estimated release date for it?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whoa, didn't know about the 24mm single coil version, that sounds like a winner. Do they have an estimated release date for it?

Not yet, last I heard on SC FB they’re having some issues making the glass chimney & tank in a smaller size, I’m gathering a Glaz Baby rta (I’m calling it that) ;)

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not yet, last I heard on SC FB they’re having some issues making the glass chimney & tank in a smaller size, I’m gathering a Glaz Baby rta (I’m calling it that) ;)

That is what I love about steam crave, they take there time to get it right and even make changes after release if they can improve it more.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks for the solid review as always mate, based on your feedback think I’ll wait for the smaller version hearts mentioned then see if the plus still holds its own :cheers:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the solid review as always mate, based on your feedback think I’ll wait for the smaller version hearts mentioned then see if the plus still holds its own :cheers:
Thanks bud.

The Glaz is a solid tank, I just feel for the same or less the AP has a lot more options to it and the flavor is just as good.

I am definitely gonna be on the lookout for the one Hearts mentioned, can't wait.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah brother..... Good tank..... Sitting all Android space age looking on The Broscience mod...... Love the hoe......
170084498b13718dd526f21884598f8e.jpg
f9c5707102fbcee558391bb14646cf08.jpg
dbd8b9f269265999a96120c539bd6595.jpg
a536c53d58d053427c6e78fcd50a4d50.jpg

Nice bro!

Got a gold Glaz on the way to match up with a gold and stab wood mod I got. That SS you got there looks bad ass

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice bro!

Got a gold Glaz on the way to match up with a gold and stab wood mod I got. That SS you got there looks bad ass

Gold in Stabwood and on leather looks awesome..... Nice combo...... This is a nice little tank brother..... Flavor is up up there !
35412681fdcdf994dc6acbd280764717.jpg

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is the stab wood mod it Is going on, I think it holds up to 35mm with no overhang. I picked up a gold voltrove mini for it but that has a matte gold so not a great match. I am thinking the gold Glaz will have a permanent home on that mod
68c939762c0750972a69cdaa42173340.jpg

That's small ..... Nice.....

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Here is the stab wood mod it Is going on, I think it holds up to 35mm with no overhang. I picked up a gold voltrove mini for it but that has a matte gold so not a great match. I am thinking the gold Glaz will have a permanent home on that mod
68c939762c0750972a69cdaa42173340.jpg

What mod is that?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
VGME Fossil 200W VV APV Box Mod at fasttech, discontinued there. Also goes by Mytech Matrix Fossil, not sure if the fasttech version is a clone but it is a beaut for sure.

Well either way, that is a SCHMEXY piece of gear!

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turns out the pic I dug up earlier on my phone is the one my friend got, here is mine, close but mine has more earthy colors. Was wrong about it taking 35mm but 31mm should fit just fine, that is the Voltrove 30mm on there.
ec3601c9c9a718e7f665114a3cf8197c.jpg
ab47d2f32b481b65bffc2c384f80756b.jpg

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bringing this thread back to life as I've got my hands on the Glaz V2. Bigger deck, bigger juice slots, caged glass so no glass threads and more importantly (for me) more airflow. A totally bad ass RTA now. I'll post some pics in a few days !

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bringing this thread back to life as I've got my hands on the Glaz V2. Bigger deck, bigger juice slots, caged glass so no glass threads and more importantly (for me) more airflow. A totally bad ass RTA now. I'll post some pics in a few days !
Good to know, I ordered the V2 deck as it also works on the V1, should have it this week.

You got me more excited to try it out, thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know, I ordered the V2 deck as it also works on the V1, should have it this week.

You got me more excited to try it out, thanks for the info

They made the AFC bigger, you probably won't get the extra airflow with just the V2 deck in the original Glaz.

The V2 also holds 10ml of juice :D

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They made the AFC bigger, you probably won't get the extra airflow with just the V2 deck in the original Glaz.

The V2 also holds 10ml of juice :D
Yeah, I considered buying the whole V2 but with taxes so close I am in ultra cheap mode

How does the V2 compare to the Plus? That is what was stopping me as well, the Plus just nails it on all fronts for me. Who am I kidding though, after I get myself up from the fetal position after getting reamed by taxes I will probably pick up a V2 as well.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I considered buying the whole V2 but with taxes so close I am in ultra cheap mode
emoji31.png

How does the V2 compare to the Plus? That is what was stopping me as well, the Plus just nails it on all fronts for me. Who am I kidding though, after I get myself up from the fetal position after getting reamed by taxes I will probably pick up a V2 as well.

I love my plus too and want to get over the honeymoon period with the Glaz V2 before I give my thoughts.

IMG_20190219_144833.jpg

VU Sponsors