Become a Patron!

Starting to build input please

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I picked up a mutation v4 and some wire from vapor dna. Got some batteries and charger from Lightning vapes and a clone from fasttech. For now until I know everything I'll be using my istick 50w. Started my first build last night, 26g gplat wire dual coil, 8 wraps, using a 2 mm coil tool. Came out to .3 ohms. Not where I wanted for my first but I have it a shot. At first there was no flavor and after about 2 hits it just tasted burnt. Did a bunch of builds last night and it tasted burnt every time. Not sure if it's the way I'm doing the cotton or what but any input would be helpful. Also I picked up some 28g kanthal cause I don't wanna be doing builds this low, ultimately I'd like to be at .5-.8

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 24

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Burned taste can be wick material too tight or too loose. Could be it was not properly saturated and it could be too much heat for the build. Dont know any other reasons for burned taste.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Furthermore, if you want higher ohms try single coils or more wraps on your duals.

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes i saw a calculator for how many wraps and it was saying over 12 but wouldn't that just look ridiculous? And I will also try to play with the cotton more.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your coil isn't in the right place. Use the positive post hole farthest from the negative post and center the build over the air holes. Also, using a larger diameter will help with wicking.

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
12 wraps, .3 ohms will see if I get that burnt taste

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so no burnt taste, but next to no flavor. Had to use my spearmint just to get some flavor. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 15

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My buddy has a mutation v3. His build is dual 24g, 3mm diameter, 5 1/2 wraps and has the airflow halfway open. The flavor is really pretty good. Better than I expected from a large chamber rda. If it was me, I'd try a shorter, fatter coil with thicker wire and don't run the air wide open. I don't have any knowledge about that exact atty so I'm just guessing a little. Good luck.

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright thanks. Well Ill have 28 gauge wire tomorrow and I tried closing the air but didn't notice much of a difference last night. Gonna research a bit more. Not really any vids with this mutation yet.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think what you're wanting is gonna be hard to accomplish with a 50w mod. You really should be using thicker wire. 26g is a little thin and 28g is even worse, but a proper dual 24g setup will be kinda weak at 50w. You're going to end up needing a little more power I think. My friends mutation performs really well, but he's using thicker wire and pushing more power.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay so no burnt taste, but next to no flavor. Had to use my spearmint just to get some flavor. Any ideas?
Close some of those air holes to get better flavor, or better still get an RDA designed for flavor and not vapor like the mutation X.

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think what you're wanting is gonna be hard to accomplish with a 50w mod. You really should be using thicker wire. 26g is a little thin and 28g is even worse, but a proper dual 24g setup will be kinda weak at 50w. You're going to end up needing a little more power I think. My friends mutation performs really well, but he's using thicker wire and pushing more power.
I just wanted to get some practice before using the mech mod, wouldn't I be able to twist the 28g kanthal with a drill anyway?

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Close some of those air holes to get better flavor, or better still get an RDA designed for flavor and not vapor like the mutation X.
yeah im going to play with it a bit more before buying another one. I just thought that I should be able to get more flavor or at least the same than I did with my arctic.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see. Yeah, twisted 28 could work real well if 50w is enough to push it hard enough. Hope it works out for you.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah im going to play with it a bit more before buying another one. I just thought that I should be able to get more flavor or at least the same than I did with my arctic.
I wouldn't give up on it before you either get a good mech build figured out or get a higher power box. The first time I tried my friends mutation I wasn't expecting much flavor. Boy was I surprised. It tasted damn near as good as my derringer. Getting the build, power and airflow dialed in is key.

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I grabbed a Samsung 25r and stingray x clone but from using an ohms calculator I don't see how that helps sorry if I sound noob but In order to draw more power from the battery wouldn't that require me to be at about .2 ohms or lower? Or is the watt number I'm getting from the calculator doubled because it's dual?
Site I used to calculate for reference
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A mech has no power limit like a regulated device. You control the power by adjusting the resistance of the build. The lower the resistance, the higher the power. Of course you don't want to exceed the limits of your battery.

Gumballhead23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it. I'm thinking my coil is fine for now but that I'm doing something wrong when wicking. I looked at my rda today and noticed that one of the wicks just fell out, in half. Like the coil just burnt it right in half so I'm assuming that the piece of cotton that's inside the coil was dry. When I drip I drip right on the coil and each end closest to the coil before I tucked it in. And when I pulled the cotton through I twisted one end to feed it and just pulled straight through. It was difficult though without bending the coil so maybe my pieces of cotton were just too thick for my 2mm coil.

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seemed from the pictures that you wasnt running enough cotton. You want some resistance pulling the cotton through your coils, too much and it will choke it out. But, having enough on the outside of your coils is crucial also, gotta get that juice to them coils.

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I m just got the Mutation V4 and love it flavor is awesome and clouds are huge. Im new to building bht i watch a bu ch of youtube vids on building coils before hand and that helped me a lot. I am running dual micro coils 24g Kanthal came it right at .5 ohms. You want the coils right over the air holes. Put i your coils and manipulate them so they sit over the holes, i keep the screw driver i wrqp with i the coil to do this. Once you have the coils in place heat the usi g the mid box, slowly pulse the power, geth them read hit ansand pinch them with needle nose pliers, you the coils tight. Heating them also burns off any oils. Then wick the coils tucking the ends into the drip well. Soak the crap out of the wicks with juice and clean up you tuck job, i use a hair pin for this. This method shoukd give you no burnt taste and tons of flavor.

VU Sponsors