Become a Patron!

Starting squonking

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got a question for everyone. I've been vaping for 4 years and I have regulated mods and mechanical mods and like them both equally. I've decided I wanted to try squonking. What's a decent starter squonk box. I haven't really decided whether I want a regulated or mechanical one yet. Thank in advance.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Kinda depends on what kind of attie you are looking to squonk

Budget comes into play also - what do you vape now? MTL, DL, etc.

Welcome to the squonk side :wave:

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking at the hadaly clone with the squonk pin. I'm more of a restricted to full lung vaper. I'd like to stay under $100 for the setup to start with just to see if I like it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The Hadaly would be an excellent start IMO - but go for the ShenRay clone. The experts in the bonkers thread say it is 1/1

I have the authentic and it's excellent. I had the SXK Hadaly clone and it was garbage.

Squonk-mod wise, there are more choices in the budget category these days than we did even a few months ago

For mechs, the Copper Vape is a great value. The Pico Squeeze is better than most folks give it credit as, lol. It has a mosfet and the Hadaly will fit on it.

Geekvape just came out with a regulated sqonker in the $50 range. Haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be a decent mod.

The Wraith by Council of Vapor is in the $50-$60 category, pretty good actually. It is on the heavy side though, but really sharp looking.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Hadaly would be an excellent start IMO - but go for the ShenRay clone. The experts in the bonkers thread say it is 1/1

I have the authentic and it's excellent. I had the SXK Hadaly clone and it was garbage.

Squonk-mod wise, there are more choices in the budget category these days than we did even a few months ago

For mechs, the Copper Vape is a great value. The Pico Squeeze is better than most folks give it credit as, lol. It has a mosfet and the Hadaly will fit on it.

Geekvape just came out with a regulated sqonker in the $50 range. Haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be a decent mod.

The Wraith by Council of Vapor is in the $50-$60 category, pretty good actually. It is on the heavy side though, but really sharp looking.
Thank you that's a lot of choices lol. I'm a flavor guy all the way. How is the shenray for flavor?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
While I am a newly minted squonker myself, I do really enjoy my $35 Kanger 80 Watt Dripbox 2.:vino:

It is a decent squonker - I traded some stuff for one a few weeks ago, but gave it to a loved one who is trying to quit smoking

Is the 510 adjustable on the DB2? I forget - that's the only thing that keeps me from endorsing their 160

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll check into the kanger one too. The Dropbox 160 was the first one I checked out.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'll check into the kanger one too. The Dropbox 160 was the first one I checked out.

The thing I don't like about it is 510 is not adjustable so it can interfere with attie possibilities

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The thing I don't like about it is 510 is not adjustable so it can interfere with attie possibilities

I just checked and it does not appear to be adjustable.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ugh cross that off the list. I'm leaning towards the coppervape brass one. A question with bottom Fed attys when your squeezing the bottle do you get leaking a lot?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Ugh cross that off the list. I'm leaning towards the coppervape brass one. A question with bottom Fed attys when your squeezing the bottle do you get leaking a lot?

Only if you over squeeze your squonk bottle.

There is an art to it but easy to learn if you just pay attention for the first couple of days.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
FYI, those brass CVs are solid and HEAVY

I'm letting mine patina - but they are gorgeous when polished

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Great choice if you like a mech vape, 1-battery. And if it's gonna sit on your desk.
No-go for shirt pocket - it'll rip the pocket off your shirt, lol - that thing is a HUNK of solid brass!

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great choice if you like a mech vape, 1-battery. And if it's gonna sit on your desk.
No-go for shirt pocket - it'll rip the pocket off your shirt, lol - that thing is a HUNK of solid brass!
I love the look of it though. It'll be for at home though so weight won't be an issue

ResIpsa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For a budget set up I highly recommend the Pico Squeeze and Hadaly clone. The Pico works perfectly, is small, light weight and you can charge through a USB cable. It's a great pocket set up.

I also have the Coppervape with Hadaly clone (with another on the way) and it is great as well but not light weight and need the batteries charged seperately. The Coppervape being a mech does deliver more power to the coil. So, that's a big plus.

If you weren't already familiar with running mechanical devices I'd suggest sticking with a regulated device. But, sounds like you already know how to build for a mech.

I personally don't recommend Kanger devices. I had their Dripbox 60 and it crapped out within a week. I checked on their warranty and it was useless as are their responses to issues. Not my kind of company to deal with.

Chris

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Naw, I got mine without atties mostly, and shop for atties as an ongoing hobby, lol.
Goon in brass might be a great match!!
That's a "not available new right now" Nuppin...

That's me all over - and I've never tried or seen a decent attie that comes with a squonker:facepalm:

For a budget set up I highly recommend the Pico Squeeze

They are much nice that folks give them credit for. I have three in my stash.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let's say you have an rda that you love is their a way to change it to a squonker?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It has its downsides also, mainly that battery cap forces you to stay under 24 mm attie-wise

It doesn't appear to have an adjustable 510 either, but it hasn't been an issue like it was with the Kanger 160

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Let's say you have an rda that you love is their a way to change it to a squonker?

Some can easily, like the Goon

Others take skill and special drill bits or turn it over to a pro

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I third the Pico squeeze recommendation. I have a couple of nice mech squonkers that I don't want to take out of the house,but the squeeze is great for take to work beater with my Hadaly clone. With the right single coil build,it performs very well.Cheap bottles,and easy bottle and battery swap are big pluses for the squeeze also. The Coopervape is a workhorse also,but being a full mech,is a little more finicky and requires more maintenance.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I third the Pico squeeze recommendation. I have a couple of nice mech squonkers that I don't want to take out of the house,but the squeeze is great for take to work beater with my Hadaly clone. With the right single coil build,it performs very well.Cheap bottles,and easy bottle and battery swap are big pluses for the squeeze also. The Coopervape is a workhorse also,but being a full mech,is a little more finicky and requires more maintenance.

All good points

ResIpsa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So much for just trying squonking first. Pico squeeze, sonar mech, hadaly, origen, velocity mini. You know what they say if you don't do something all the way don't do it at all lol.

Yep, been there. FYI, don't try the Hadaly first. Give the others a fair shot and then try the Hadaly to see what the others should have been capable of. :giggle:

Chris

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, been there. FYI, don't try the Hadaly first. Give the others a fair shot and then try the Hadaly to see what the others should have been capable of. :giggle:

Chris
No problem there. The hadaly is coming from China so I should have it by the end of the year.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't freaking wait till the mailman comes. The sonar will be here oh yes the sonar will be here!!!

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every sqonker mod uses different bottles and tubing correct? How do you make sure it's sealed so juice doesn't leak all over the place?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Every sqonker mod uses different bottles and tubing correct?

Some are interchangeable, some are not

The Sonar squonker - if it hasn't been altered - should be set up with compatible tubing and bottle and won't need "fiddling" to not leak

With that said, the stock bottle is somewhat hard and stiff

Take it out and give it about 20 squeezes, and maybe even soak in boiling water to soften it ups some. This is second hand info - never did it myself. I just substituted my own softer bottles :)

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some are interchangeable, some are not

The Sonar squonker - if it hasn't been altered - should be set up with compatible tubing and bottle and won't need "fiddling" to not leak

With that said, the stock bottle is somewhat hard and stiff

Take it out and give it about 20 squeezes, and maybe even soak in boiling water to soften it ups some. This is second hand info - never did it myself. I just substituted my own softer bottles :)
Thanks for the info. The sonar didn't come with the bottle and tubing so I need to find out where to buy some for it and pray it doesn't leak all over the place. I'd probably cry if it did. It such a gorgeous mod.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info. The sonar didn't come with the bottle and tubing so I need to find out where to buy some for it and pray it doesn't leak all over the place. I'd probably cry if it did. It such a gorgeous mod.

If that is the case, do yourself a favor and get a soft Italian squeeze bottle or five, lol. REOs mods had them in stock again. They are a little pricey but well worth it

They also come with tubing

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess you already ordered but my first bf mod was VW/TC, 18650, solid frame, tubing, connectors, and only $35 direct from manufacturer:

It's worked great for me for a few months now...
0836d202bc0c809aba6a8bc85767e191.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, a name could help Maybe? Steam crave squonk

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'll check that one out. I now have 3 squonk mods but I'm looking to buy a vw squonker. The other ones I have are mechanical.

VU Sponsors