Become a Patron!

Starting a Juice company

SubZeroVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Me and a friend are going in to the e-liquid business and there is some info that we need to get started.

We already know that we need VG and PG and nicotine but we have some questions that we hope you awesome fellow vapers can answer.

1) Where are some good places to purchase our ingredients including PG, VG, Nicotine, and Flavoring? Prices and links as well as quality would be extremely helpful.

2) what other equipment will we need to create our juice?

3) what possible brick walls can we expect to run into?

4) we welcome any other info or advice someone may have

I thank all of those who help us get started and apologize in advance if I pretty much copied another post that I was unaware of.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lets answer #3 first.
THE FDA!!!, the FDA and the FDA.

I think you should rethink it just slightly at this current time until the FDA ax falls and see where everything is.

1. If you have to ask this you ae a major step out of sync on the start up let alone DIY.
2. A lab, not a basement but a full on clean room, Lab wear and glassware. A way to sterilize the equipment.
3. see above.
4. Good lab practices.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In your other post you mention you're new to vaping, so presumably you've never made juice before!

And ditto on the posts above. Now might not be the best time to make a major investment.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In your other post you mention you're new to vaping, so presumably you've never made juice before!

And ditto on the posts above. Now might not be the best time to make a major investment.
I would say this..
Invest in self supplies and the ins and outs of diy.

You could contract out with an iso lab.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I was still young like you. I would try like hell get a job in a busy, successful vape shop that makes it's own juice and keep my eyes and ears open until you feel your ready to make the transition to be on your own. But that's just me, sooooooo..... I wish you the most sincere best of luck. There is nothing more rewarding than being your own man/woman.
My Dad used to tell me as a kid "If you want to learn. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut".
The mouth shut part doesn't apply to questions. Keep asking and never stop.;)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Me and a friend are going in to the e-liquid business and there is some info that we need to get started.

We already know that we need VG and PG and nicotine but we have some questions that we hope you awesome fellow vapers can answer.

1) Where are some good places to purchase our ingredients including PG, VG, Nicotine, and Flavoring? Prices and links as well as quality would be extremely helpful.

2) what other equipment will we need to create our juice?

3) what possible brick walls can we expect to run into?

4) we welcome any other info or advice someone may have

I thank all of those who help us get started and apologize in advance if I pretty much copied another post that I was unaware of.
Before you make someone else juice make your own so it does not taste like puke then see if others actually like your Ejuice if they do then sell it.. if not puke

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1MLyjn5.jpg

SubZeroVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you don't want to provide input, then you don't have to. Posting comments like that is counter productive to both of our lives so please keep the negativity to yourselves. Thank you to everyone providing info on the FDA and everything, I have been looking into it and feel things will take a positive turn based on what I've read.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you don't want to provide input, then you don't have to. Posting comments like that is counter productive to both of our lives so please keep the negativity to yourselves. Thank you to everyone providing info on the FDA and everything, I have been looking into it and feel things will take a positive turn based on what I've read.
The bottom line is start doing DIY first then build up ..

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The op is a newbie, please move this thread to the NEWBIE forum..
This guy wanna make juice!
Do you even know what's about to go down???!!!

VAPE ON

SubZeroVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know I need to start out with DIY, the business is a further down the road idea. Thanks for the help again everyone!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A good idea is to get insured alot of shops in my area wont buy from companys that arn't. Also it covers your ass say someone has an allergic reaction or your mix is off on nic and someone has a heart attack. We live in a world were someone can sew over hot coffee so cover your ass.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So sorry you are going to think I was being a shit.

Nothing I posted was not the absolute truth, if you cannot take the truth then I suggest thickening your skin or not get into business. I answered your questions as far as others, and we have all seen new vapers get excited... which I am all for... then starting a juice company and either failing hard by lack of product support or failing hard with bad practices.

SubZeroVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no problem with "taking the truth" , I'm sure many people post something similar to this thread, I will not be one of those people who fail.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You have the right mindset but not the correct foundation.
baby steps not running head first into the shallow end face first.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have no problem with "taking the truth" , I'm sure many people post something similar to this thread, I will not be one of those people who fail.
Oh to be young again gl to ya bud keep those dreams alive. If that dont work out just start a band or start rapping and make it big!

SubZeroVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am working on creating the foundation, hence why I asked the questions I did

Cigmod VonToker

Member For 4 Years
I opened my shop about three years ago and had been mixing my own juice for about six months before that because there were no vape shops in the area. The bar was much lower then and most of our juice was stand alone flavors and a few with a little sweeter. Most of those early flavors some that have been enhanced slightly are still mainstays at our shop. It was mostly just a matter of figuring the percentage of flavor to use. Juice was all 50/50 pg vg. Simple and easy.

Over time we added more single flavor juices and about thirty of our own more complex recipes that sell well. But out of them all we have seven that I feel are to the standards of some of the best known brands for uniqueness and fantastic flavor. They make up our own in house premium line. It takes time. So get started and develop some juice. You will know when you have something outstanding when almost everyone who tries wants some. And remember that you are mixing for others not yourself. Most of the recipes on line are poor and sometimes you can even find a single stand alone flavor that is superior. To begin with there are four flavor companies to mainly consider. Flavor Art, Capella, The Flavor Apprentice and Flavor West. We use a lot of Flavor Art and Flavor West because our customers prefer juice made with them most often. Personally I like making concoctions with Flavor Art for the most part. At least that's what I usually start with when working on something new. If you start by building up the full range of Flavor Art flavors you will have every thing you need to make some killer e liquid to meet most any profile. They are mostly more concentrated than the others so you can often make very high VG juice if you want.

To start try RTS. All the fluids, NIC and supplies you need. They are a great company and have inexpensive small bottles of flavoring and they sell in large wholesale quantities as well. I like Hartland a lot too. Not as big and comprehensive as RTS but they have great prices, and we like their NIC. The price is good, it's clean and crystal clear and has never fucked up our flavors. Except sometimes at 18mg NIC or higher but they all will at those higher levels but you can do things to compensate for that to a degree. We buy most of our flavors in larger quantities directly from the manufacture but to start with that's not necessary at all.

As far as the FDA goes there is some very bad shit coming down and if it is not stopped or radically altered most all of us, stores and Juice Companies alike could be and very probably will be toast by early 2016. DIY might will most likely go the grave yard route as well. Forget the two year grace period for E Juice. We have had several vape shops in our area who sick of living under the cloud just said fuck it and just closed up. There's another in a small town about 15 miles down the road who is fire selling everything and she's closing the doors for good at the end of the month. SFATA and CASSA got caught by surprise on this one and have been pretty much toothless anyway so don't bank on them to protect us.

But don't worry about investing in Juice making supplies, you will be able to use it yourself or take it underground and be able to make a killing tax free. If you can afford it stock enough to hold out until you can develop a cash only untraceable source of supply. You may have to hunt it down but that source will emerge in short order. This regulation crap is a huge opportunity for those with some smarts and big enough balls to take on the risk.

As for me I've got a store full of NIC, VG, PG, flavors, equipment, parts, and supplies that will last a long, long time when I have to close the shop. I plan to hold out until March if possible when my store lease is up. In the remote chance that the FDA BS gets stopped or we get two more years then we can renew and move forward. We should have a good idea of what all additional horrible shit we really face by then. My wife and I are considering a new business not Vape related but we know that like the Vape shop It will consume almost all of our time and energy and the government still will fuck us one way or another so we are not sure if we want to do it. Since I have a paid for home, cars, truck and zero debt, we can live modest and I could just go back to being a carpenter and get fucked a little less hard by the general contractors instead of the government like I did before this wonderful Journey in Vape Land.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I opened my shop about three years ago and had been mixing my own juice for about six months before that because there were no vape shops in the area. The bar was much lower then and most of our juice was stand alone flavors and a few with a little sweeter. Most of those early flavors some that have been enhanced slightly are still mainstays at our shop. It was mostly just a matter of figuring the percentage of flavor to use. Juice was all 50/50 pg vg. Simple and easy.

Over time we added more single flavor juices and about thirty of our own more complex recipes that sell well. But out of them all we have seven that I feel are to the standards of some of the best known brands for uniqueness and fantastic flavor. They make up our own in house premium line. It takes time. So get started and develop some juice. You will know when you have something outstanding when almost everyone who tries wants some. And remember that you are mixing for others not yourself. Most of the recipes on line are poor and sometimes you can even find a single stand alone flavor that is superior. To begin with there are four flavor companies to mainly consider. Flavor Art, Capella, The Flavor Apprentice and Flavor West. We use a lot of Flavor Art and Flavor West because our customers prefer juice made with them most often. Personally I like making concoctions with Flavor Art for the most part. At least that's what I usually start with when working on something new. If you start by building up the full range of Flavor Art flavors you will have every thing you need to make some killer e liquid to meet most any profile. They are mostly more concentrated than the others so you can often make very high VG juice if you want.

To start try RTS. All the fluids, NIC and supplies you need. They are a great company and have inexpensive small bottles of flavoring and they sell in large wholesale quantities as well. I like Hartland a lot too. Not as big and comprehensive as RTS but they have great prices, and we like their NIC. The price is good, it's clean and crystal clear and has never fucked up our flavors. Except sometimes at 18mg NIC or higher but they all will at those higher levels but you can do things to compensate for that to a degree. We buy most of our flavors in larger quantities directly from the manufacture but to start with that's not necessary at all.

As far as the FDA goes there is some very bad shit coming down and if it is not stopped or radically altered most all of us, stores and Juice Companies alike could be and very probably will be toast by early 2016. DIY might will most likely go the grave yard route as well. Forget the two year grace period for E Juice. We have had several vape shops in our area who sick of living under the cloud just said fuck it and just closed up. There's another in a small town about 15 miles down the road who is fire selling everything and she's closing the doors for good at the end of the month. SFATA and CASSA got caught by surprise on this one and have been pretty much toothless anyway so don't bank on them to protect us.

But don't worry about investing in Juice making supplies, you will be able to use it yourself or take it underground and be able to make a killing tax free. If you can afford it stock enough to hold out until you can develop a cash only untraceable source of supply. You may have to hunt it down but that source will emerge in short order. This regulation crap is a huge opportunity for those with some smarts and big enough balls to take on the risk.

As for me I've got a store full of NIC, VG, PG, flavors, equipment, parts, and supplies that will last a long, long time when I have to close the shop. I plan to hold out until March if possible when my store lease is up. In the remote chance that the FDA BS gets stopped or we get two more years then we can renew and move forward. We should have a good idea of what all additional horrible shit we really face by then. My wife and I are considering a new business not Vape related but we know that like the Vape shop It will consume almost all of our time and energy and the government still will fuck us one way or another so we are not sure if we want to do it. Since I have a paid for home, cars, truck and zero debt, we can live modest and I could just go back to being a carpenter and get fucked a little less hard by the general contractors instead of the government like I did before this wonderful Journey in Vape Land.
I don't think the comments are bad, I think we just being REALISTIC,
Good for you, u got a head start, I think a lot of juice makers will do the same thing you will do..close shops and moved on
IMO

VAPE ON

BrainJuicedLLC

Unlisted Vendor
One wall I've ran into is with advertising online. Vapor related advertisements are almost restricted everywhere! EVEN THOUGH I'TS NOT FU@#$ing Tobacco! dasngokagndgfa.... Anyway I've also ran into online credit card processors want nothing to do with vape related product. I did however actually find one that would without costing me my kidneys.

VU Sponsors