Become a Patron!

Start up

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I want to start diy ejuice. What is the best kit to buy?

I think I'll buy a cheap scale and calibration weight so I know it's spot on.

Can I just buy a couple Pyrex measuring cups nicotine base, pg/vg, and flavor?

Also, how much ejuice could a perfect run of 1 litre of 100mg/ml make?

Is it necessary to get a kit if I'm doing it by weight? All that measuring shit in a glass jar seems more costly and much more "mathy".

Any advice welcome. I plan to put an order in. What is the basic things I will need??

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Frankly, most kits are lacking or have shit you don't need and end up being more expensive than buying what you need separately

1 liter of 100 mg Nic will make several gallons of 3mg juice

Here are my top pieces of advice: first, find recipes you are pretty sure you will enjoy before you buy flavoring - then buy the recommded brand from the recipe - different brands do indeed taste different and they don't all go together well. Also, if you just randomly buy flavors that sound good to create your own recipes, failure is highly likely compared to making tried and true recipes - at least when you are first starting out.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Frankly, most kits are lacking or have shit you don't need and end up being more expensive than buying what you need separately

1 liter of 100 mg Nic will make several gallons of 3mg juice

Here are my top pieces of advice: first, find recipes you are pretty sure you will enjoy before you buy flavoring - then buy the recommded brand from the recipe - different brands do indeed taste different and they don't all go together well. Also, if you just randomly buy flavors that sound good to create your own recipes, failure is highly likely compared to making tried and true recipes - at least when you are first starting out.
Thank you very much. What nic blend do you recommend? I don't want to buy a kit. I don't see a need. I plan on trying to stream line the process as much as possible.

I am restricted by money, but I think this is the final venture into diy in terms of Vaping that I'll go.

Ok here are my questions

Where, who, or what is the best nicotine for your money.

vg pg are all created equal?

I'm glad now that I've saved bottles.

Can I use a Jewelers scale. I don't plan to make batches bigger than 120mls.

I have got a few apps on my phone with recipes.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'll a free with everything @JuicyLucy said except the 100mg nic. Start with 48mg nic. With 100mg, when you're new to blending, a mistake can lead to a ruined batch, and spills can be harmful. 48mg is much easier to manage.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I need to get the most for my money. I am very frugal because the situation I'm in. I pay attention to math, directions, and recipes very well. Basically, in other words, I'm not a doof. I am overly careful.

I wouldn't mind using 48 so long as it's as price effective as 100.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much. What nic blend do you recommend? I don't want to buy a kit. I don't see a need. I plan on trying to stream line the process as much as possible.

I am restricted by money, but I think this is the final venture into diy in terms of Vaping that I'll go.

Ok here are my questions

I haven't bought Nic in over a year and a half, so others will be better positioned to tell you what Nic is best value vs quality

They are not - make sure you get pharmacy or food grade for both items - for VG, I prefer palm derived

Yes

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need to get the most for my money. I am very frugal because the situation I'm in. I pay attention to math, directions, and recipes very well. Basically, in other words, I'm not a doof. I am overly careful.

I wouldn't mind using 48 so long as it's as price effective as 100.

No one is suggesting you are a doof. Mistakes can and will happen. Even Pros screw up. As to the cost effectiveness, check this link and select different strengths to see different prices:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/unf...nicotine-e-liquid-base-1-liter-container.html

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No one is suggesting you are a doof. Mistakes can and will happen. Even Pros screw up. As to the cost effectiveness, check this link and select different strengths to see different prices:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/unf...nicotine-e-liquid-base-1-liter-container.html

No no, brother, I was just saying that some people are naturally clumsy, just relaying that I follow directions well, can follow a recipe, and I'm not accident prone.

I didn't mean to come of that way dude

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I recommend getting:

100mg/mL salt nicotine base in 100% PG in a small bottle, say 125mL

4 - 30mL glass bottles with cone cap to put the nicotine base into, filled up to the very top to prevent oxidation (keep one out for use at a time only)

10 - 10mL plastic bottles for test mixing

A scale that handles 1/10th grams if you want to measure by weight

Gallon of VG

And as many big soft plastic bottles as you want to fill, once you make recipes you want to vape

I measure by volume, so I have a 1mL luer slip syringe for measuring nicotine and flavors for small batches

A 10mL luer slip syringe for measuring out bottle sizes (10mL in a bottle advertised as 10mL will likely be less than full to the top, so I mark the 10mL line)

Scotch tape over the measuring lines on the syringes becayse VG or PG can make them disappear

And ummm..an account on eliquidrecipes to keep up with your flavors, look at different people's notes on flavors, recipes, etc

Trying to remember if there's anything else...

Going bigger size is cheaper in the long run if you are confident you want to DIY. A liter of nicotine then, 2-4 gallons VG, and I suggest only getting.flavors in 30mL bottles and up - be methodical in flavor research before buying

Edit: 125 mL of nicotine lasts me almost a Year

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Is it necessary to get a kit if I'm doing it by weight? All that measuring shit in a glass jar seems more costly and much more "mathy".

Any advice welcome. I plan to put an order in. What is the basic things I will need??

I use Vaperstek premium nic. The reason why is, its flavorless, odorless, and colorless. It doesn't mess with the flavors doing their thing. My first nic order was from a different company. It tasted like jalapeno juice. So I researched and found VT and ordered from them. I'm sure there's other great companies that sell nic. But for me it's "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Another thing you can do is search the forum for single or dual flavors threads. There are plenty of flavors that are awesome all by themselves. Like Inawera Grapefruit or Melon, they're so good solo. I don't really care for either (in real life)but they are delicious flavors to vape.

I bought my scale in a head-shop. It has worked fine for all that I mix. It still has the same batteries as when I bought it almost a year ago.

Once you get going or have more cash you should check out essential depot for VG and PG. They sell gallons or call them cubes. Its 4 gallons of mix n match of either vg or vg. I got 3 gal of VG and 1 gal of PG for $39 (+ship) last year. Alot of us buy there.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Community Recipe Packs This could be a good starting point for you flavor-wise - these are tried and true recipes and the ingredients are all there at a discount

While there is no guarantee you will love the finished product, you are more likely to be successful following popular mixes that have stood the test of time with other vapers

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Juicy Lucy's first post in this thread is all great advice. Also others mentioned vaperstek nic. That's what I use and it great. If there is one thing you shouldn't be cheap about it's what nic you buy. I haven't tried the cheaper "throat hit" nic from VT, but it's probably good.

+1 on finding recipes and buying those flavors. When I first started DIY I bought recipe packs, but I also bought a bunch of random flavors that were recommended. Many of those random flavors I bought have barely even gotten used. It's best to start finding and making recipes. Then when you've made a bunch of recipes you will start to have enough flavors to try your own recipes.

With some flavors you will be better off getting 30ml if you have the money, but I suggest sticking with the 10ml bottles to start. Then if you use a flavor a lot and need to re-order it, you can get a bigger bottle and save some money. I just wouldn't want you to buy a 30ml bottle of flavor and then it sucks and just sits there. Also you can use ELR to see what the average % people are using for specific flavors. If a flavor is normally only used at 0.5% then even a 30ml bottle will last a while.

Ok one more suggestion. If money is real tight you might be better off skipping the scale. You can get a few 1ml syringes and one 10ml for a couple bucks. A scale will be $20-30 for a cheap one. Mixing with syringes is kind of a pain, but it's good for small batches and it's cheaper. I have to say though that I got a scale a few weeks ago and I'm never looking back.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Juicy Lucy's first post in this thread is all great advice. Also others mentioned vaperstek nic. That's what I use and it great. If there is one thing you shouldn't be cheap about it's what nic you buy. I haven't tried the cheaper "throat hit" nic from VT, but it's probably good.

+1 on finding recipes and buying those flavors. When I first started DIY I bought recipe packs, but I also bought a bunch of random flavors that were recommended. Many of those random flavors I bought have barely even gotten used. It's best to start finding and making recipes. Then when you've made a bunch of recipes you will start to have enough flavors to try your own recipes.

With some flavors you will be better off getting 30ml if you have the money, but I suggest sticking with the 10ml bottles to start. Then if you use a flavor a lot and need to re-order it, you can get a bigger bottle and save some money. I just wouldn't want you to buy a 30ml bottle of flavor and then it sucks and just sits there. Also you can use ELR to see what the average % people are using for specific flavors. If a flavor is normally only used at 0.5% then even a 30ml bottle will last a while.

Ok one more suggestion. If money is real tight you might be better off skipping the scale. You can get a few 1ml syringes and one 10ml for a couple bucks. A scale will be $20-30 for a cheap one. Mixing with syringes is kind of a pain, but it's good for small batches and it's cheaper. I have to say though that I got a scale a few weeks ago and I'm never looking back.

Good advice, I have many of those 30ml flavors some even 120ml that I don’t use. When I do see a recipe utilizing some of those I’m like Yay!!!!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Yay!

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I feel so fucking loved. You guys rock. And fudgeyfinger, there was something in that juice!!! I'm hopelessly addicted to yet another diy vape project.

This stuff keeps me sober, creative, and happy.

I think I might have enough for maybe A 500ml of the 100mg/ml

I would rather mix by weight, but I think I may do it the way fudgeyfinger suggested.

Thank you everyone.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel so fucking loved. You guys rock. And fudgeyfinger, there was something in that juice!!! I'm hopelessly addicted to yet another diy vape project.

This stuff keeps me sober, creative, and happy.

I think I might have enough for maybe A 500ml of the 100mg/ml

I would rather mix by weight, but I think I may do it the way fudgeyfinger suggested.

Thank you everyone.

If you have the money to get a scale then get one for sure. I just think if its a decision between supplies+10 flavors+scale or supplies+30 flavors then I would skip the scale. You can always pick up a scale after you have gotten your feet wet.

If you want links to any of those recipes let me know as they are all public recipes.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile

Ok here are my questions

For nicotine, IMO, the best is from vaperstek, clean and smooth, though nicotine river is pretty solid as well, shipping is more expensive for NR though.
For VG and PG, there are differences, but as long as it's USP food grade it should be fine. I get mine from essential depot, ~10 bucks or so for a liter on amazon.

I fully agree with what everyone's been saying about buying flavors for recipes, it's super important to always have a fail safe for when you're having a losing streak. Good luck dude.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hope no one minds if I add my two cents, because I've just gotten started and had to really stretch my money. I wanted to buy just enough to get up and going, to be sure that I could do it, before I spent very much at all.

I started off with 30ml of 100mg nic in a 50/50 base for $5.49, 240ml of pg for $3.99, and 240ml of vg for $3.99, plus 1ml, 5ml, and 10 ml syringes, all from Vape Wild. I don't taste anything nasty in any of those substances. I did buy a starter pack of 6 flavors from them for $10.75, but later found that I could get flavors for a better price from Bull City Flavors.

I'm just mixing in 10-12 ml batches until I get the kinks worked out, using the 5ml syringes for measuring pg and vg, and counting drops for everything else.

All in all I think I spent about 50 bucks for the nic, pg, vg, syringes, bottles, and about 15 flavors.

Also took advice from folks here after my first mix came alive on day 3 and turned out to have way too much flavoring in it. I'm doing better now keeping the total of all flavors at 9-10%.

I've mixed up 8 different flavors, 10-12 ml each, so far and haven't made a dent in any of my supplies. 10ml is costing about 45-65 cents, depending on how much nicotine is in the recipe (not all of them were for me).

ETA: Should also note that I'm making my own recipes and documenting them on e-liquid-recipes.com. There's a reason for this - I think most people really like sweeter flavors than I do, spices and beverage flavors are my first preference, so I'm mixing things like Sweet Cinnamon, Russian Tea, Grape Ice (grape and menthol with NO sweetener). I did make something I'm calling Fruit Juicy today, and it'll be sweet, but that and a nice heavy Vanilla will be about as sweet as I can go.

ETA2: I also took advantage of that "One Drop Flavors" weekend sale of 30 ml for 79 cents and free shipping if you spend more than 5 bucks. I ordered I think 7 flavors from them, but they aren't here yet. I get the impression that this offshoot of the Real Flavors company is new, so they're an unknown, so I may either have gotten a fantastic deal, or I've got 210ml of something to pour down the drain. I don't mind gambling 5 bucks.

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
+1 to all the above. When I started, I hadn’t discovered VU and all the help here. I totally winged it. Spent waaaaaay too much money. Created shitty juice and gave up. 6 months later, after spending tons on commercial juice and getting fed up with that, I did some research and tried again. It clicked and now I’m actually making my own recipes, as well as making other peoples recipes. It takes time and patience, but it’s totally worth it!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hope no one minds if I add my two cents, because I've just gotten started and had to really stretch my money. I wanted to buy just enough to get up and going, to be sure that I could do it, before I spent very much at all.

I started off with 30ml of 100mg nic in a 50/50 base for $5.49, 240ml of pg for $3.99, and 240ml of vg for $3.99, plus 1ml, 5ml, and 10 ml syringes, all from Vape Wild. I don't taste anything nasty in any of those substances. I did buy a starter pack of 6 flavors from them for $10.75, but later found that I could get flavors for a better price from Bull City Flavors.

I'm just mixing in 10-12 ml batches until I get the kinks worked out, using the 5ml syringes for measuring pg and vg, and counting drops for everything else.

All in all I think I spent about 50 bucks for the nic, pg, vg, syringes, bottles, and about 15 flavors.

Also took advice from folks here after my first mix came alive on day 3 and turned out to have way too much flavoring in it. I'm doing better now keeping the total of all flavors at 9-10%.

I've mixed up 8 different flavors, 10-12 ml each, so far and haven't made a dent in any of my supplies. 10ml is costing about 45-65 cents, depending on how much nicotine is in the recipe (not all of them were for me).

ETA: Should also note that I'm making my own recipes and documenting them on e-liquid-recipes.com.
Nice start! Better than me in that I’ve been mixing for close to 3 years I think & I haven’t ventured into making my own recipes. :cheers:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

ETA: Should also note that I'm making my own recipes and documenting them on e-liquid-recipes.com.

I'm glad you posted this because I don't think some folks always understand that some are in dire financial straights and must go as inexpensively as possible

Scales, new bottles, etc are luxuries - can be very handy and make it easier - but are not necessities

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Nice start! Better than me in that I’ve been mixing for close to 3 years I think & I haven’t ventured into making my own recipes. :cheers:

No one else I know who vapes likes the flavors that I like! I think I must have an odd palate. So I just think about how I'd make something if I were cooking it my kitchen, think about the ratios of one ingredient to the others, and put the recipe together that way. Anyone else who tasted my stuff might think it's awful, but it's working great for me. The biggest stumbling block so far has been (1) I don't like the cinnamon flavor from Vape Wild and need to replace it with Hangsen cinnamon, and (2) Jojo had to convince me to drop the total percentage of flavors (which is nice cause it obviously will save me money). :)

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm glad you posted this because I don't think some folks always understand that some are in dire financial straights and must go as inexpensively as possible

Scales, new bottles, etc are luxuries - can be very handy and make it easier - but are not necessities
I appreciate it very very much. I am one of those in financial handcuffs. So long as I can make this work as well as I have coiling I'll be happy.

I love learning, and I love creativity. I need another creativity outlet. I have made enough coils to last probably 3 years. I just really like working hard, practicing, because that's what makes it so special when you master something

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Ok here are my questions

I know this isn’t the most accurate way to go, but on ELR and ATF, they have an option to use drops instead of weight or volume. If you’re strapped for cash and need to forgo scales or syringes, maybe, at least to get started, this might be a way to go. Then, whatever your budget is, you can buy more flavors or whatever.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I know this isn’t the most accurate way to go, but on ELR and ATF, they have an option to use drops instead of weight or volume. If you’re strapped for cash and need to forgo scales or syringes, maybe, at least to get started, this might be a way to go. Then, whatever your budget is, you can buy more flavors or whatever.

Absolutely. e-liquid-recipes.com lets you create a profile, assemble a list of all the flavors you have (they call it your "stash"), and enter and tweak recipes and save them. There's even a "What Can I Make?" button that analyzes the flavors you have and returns a list of recipes that can be made from ingredients you have on hand.

It's easy to enter recipes, and the website calculates ml, drops, and percentages for you. Very helpful.

ETA: You might want to stay clear of strawberry flavors at first. I'm not much on them myself, but from what I read that other folks have posted, strawberry is hard to get right. Many recipes that people have really worked hard on will end up having three, four, or more different brands and kinds of strawberry, just to get the flavor right.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Absolutely. e-liquid-recipes.com lets you create a profile, assemble a list of all the flavors you have (they call it your "stash"), and enter and tweak recipes and save them. There's even a "What Can I Make?" button that analyzes the flavors you have and returns a list of recipes that can be made from ingredients you have on hand.

It's easy to enter recipes, and the website calculates ml, drops, and percentages for you. Very helpful.

ETA: You might want to stay clear of strawberry flavors at first. I'm not much on them myself, but from what I read that other folks have posted, strawberry is hard to get right. Many recipes that people have really worked hard on will end up having three, four, or more different brands and kinds of strawberry, just to get the flavor right.

Good call! I forgot about the “what Can I make” feature. I don’t use it much, but it’s there and it’s a good resource. There’s also, on here somewhere, a thread about “essential” flavors, if you’re not gonna go the recipe route. @Hillbilly Pig? I think you may have had something to do with this, if memory serves. @Mykreign too.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

A lot of people are enjoying FA Juicy Strawberry. I am! @wllmc has a recipe here for Juicy Strawberry Cheesecake that I enjoy every night.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When starting out it's not mandatory to mix up complex recipes. Like I said, there's plenty of really good flavors that can be used solo. Some Ideas here-
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/single-flavors-that-can-stand-on-their-own.363825/
Sometimes you just need to know what fruit to pick.
Lol! So true! I remember when I started out, I tried to mix up the most complicated (like 10+ flavors) thinking they just sounded good together. I learned! Right now, most of what I’m coming up with is 3-4 flavor mixes and they’re wonderful. And yeah, there are plenty of single flavors that work. And there’s one shots out there, too.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Good call! I forgot about the “what Can I make” feature. I don’t use it much, but it’s there and it’s a good resource. There’s also, on here somewhere, a thread about “essential” flavors, if you’re not gonna go the recipe route. @Hillbilly Pig? I think you may have had something to do with this, if memory serves. @Mykreign too.

Yep, it's incomplete and maybe not as accurate as it could be, but it is there http://vapingunderground.com/threads/flavors-for-starting-diy.375367/

And zombie, if you'd like I can send you a 30ml of some nic. It's not a lot, but it'd let you try out vaperstek for yourself before deciding if it suits ya.

Last edited:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

VU Sponsors